Lights in sky?

Hello,

Did anyone else see the wierd lights in the sky in the direction of Crystal Palace last night? Not sure how to describe it but there was something really bright lighting up the sky in flashes for quite a while at around 11pm. We really couldn't work out what it was so wondering if anyone knew?

Yeah man, it's pretty freakiy when the skies light up like that, and you hear these really loud bangs, which could be ships entering the atmosphere or something!

They always seem to come on rainy nights, probaby so they get cloud cover.

There was a lightening storm for about 2 hours last night, the only thunder was very distant rumbles that I could only hear as I was leaning out of my attic window watching it all.

Was an amazing show, lots of forked ligtening too going from Crystal Palace over to Canary Wharf.

There was no rain either so unless you were watcing the sky it may not have been obvious that it was a storm.

Where I was there was no rain at all and absolutely no sound. The flashes were so bright and so frequent I didn't think it was lightning - I've never seen anything like it.

I wasn't suggesting aliens but it did feel like the beginning of the War of the Worlds!

In Sydenham it rained reasonably heavily, but not storm heavy. The bangs sounded very distant, and the lightning flashes seemed to be coming from all over the plave very frquently.

I wasn't suggesting aliens but it did feel like the beginning of the War of the Worlds!

I know, I was just messin :))

Ah, so those fruitcakes The Railians were right...and there I was thinking it was merely an electrical storm. Where are you from Sarah that you've never before experienced this phenomenon? :) I was sucking back a frappercinolattelechemagnifico in Cafe Nero about an hour ago and my did the heavens open. Like a monsoon it was, and there was I in shorts and t-shirt admiring the mental weather from the saftey of my glass coffee house.