New (traffic) camera (East Dulwich Grove and Redpost Hill)?

If there are to be new enforcement cameras I hope that Councillors give fair warning.

It currently takes a tremendous effort of will and nerves of steel to stick to 20mph when many behind you are revving and trying to force you to go faster. Sometimes it feels safer to go faster simply to avoid to avoid frequent and reckless overtaking that goes on. There is also some pretty dangerous power cycling going down, cutting across cars at full throttle with no signalling, being just one example.

Is it so difficult to inform people?

How would you suggest? - remembering that people who use Sydenham Hill do not (necessarily) live locally - leaflet all in SE London? - users will not (e.g.) check Southwark Council web sites, have (the right) twitter feeds, all read the same social media or blogs (i.e. this forum) - or did you want special treatment for forum-ites? In the end they posted notices on the roads advising of the relevant speed - granted the whole system's a mess, with different roads at different speeds, changed at different times - but that's a different issue.

Penguin68 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is it so difficult to inform people?

>

> How would you suggest? - remembering that people

> who use Sydenham Hill do not (necessarily) live

> locally - leaflet all in SE London? - users will

> not (e.g.) check Southwark Council web sites, have

> (the right) twitter feeds, all read the same

> social media or blogs (i.e. this forum) - or did

> you want special treatment for forum-ites? In the

> end they posted notices on the roads advising of

> the relevant speed - granted the whole system's a

> mess, with different roads at different speeds,

> changed at different times - but that's a

> different issue.

This week I received a form asking me to confirm my place on the electoral register. Southwark could have enclosed information on the use now of these cameras. I suspect most of Southwark have no idea what is going on. Special treatment for formites, no just info from our elected reps on the forum.

You are right it is a mess.

It's linked to two induction coils in the tarmac by the white stop line at the traffic light. If you jump a red light, it will flash and take a photo of you. Fine and three points. It's live one second after the red light appears.

Some have a dual speed camera use, but mostly on main roads, like the A40 in Acton. There will be calibration painted on the road if this is the case.

Try speeding past it or going through a red light, when you get the ticket you'll find out.

They're all there for pretty much the same purpose, to catch people who break the rules. Why do you need to know which rule it's there for?

People tend to adhere to rules they know will be enforced and ignore those that are not...not condoning this in this case, but it is human nature. 20mph was imposed on the basis drivers would self regulate. As one might expect, some drivers self regulate the majority seem not to bother.

If speed cameras are to now be used then there needs to be some warning that self regulation is to be replaced with enforcement by speed camera; I think that is fair and reasonable, especially if the stated aim is to make roads safer rather than generate income.

FYI; One of our Cllrs has received this from Southwark and has shared it. Very helpful - although I guess the police could change their stance.

The camera in question is a replacement red light camera that has been installed by Transport for London (TfL) as part of their camera upgrade programme. All such cameras are managed by TfL and operated by the police.

It is expected that this camera will become operational within the next couple of weeks once the Police have completed their testing. This camera will be enforcing cars that jump the red lights. Although it also has the capability of enforcing the 20mph speed limit, in this instance, the police will not use this option for safety reasons due to the bend in the road.