Idiot Cyclist

Waiting at the pelican crossing outside ED station this morning I witnessed what could have been an horrendous collision. The lights were red and a pedestrian with Sainsbury's carriers was about to step off the pavement to cross (without looking- as you do when the green man is there!) when a youngish male cyclist came bombing across the red light....the expression of relief on the pedestrian's face (young man with beard) was priceless.

After the court case this week concerning the pavement cyclist who could have killed a toddler exiting her front gate and the fact that a relative of mine has permanent damage to her foot as a result of a pavement cyclist who was never caught, and now this....Given the proliferation of cyclists on the roads and therefore an increase in irresponsible ones, we, as pedestrians should definitely take more care, since not much is being done to the idiot cyclists.....(excuse the sarcasm)

Without trying to relaunch this debate, which has been aired at length on EDF in past, it's indisputable that there is a small minority of bad and dangerous cyclists who are doing their best to give cyclists in general (the majority of whom are well behaved) a bad name. The type of cyclists whose attitude seems to be "F*** off, I'm saving the planet!"

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Without trying to relaunch this debate, which has

> been aired at length on EDF in past, it's

> indisputable that there is a small minority of bad

> and dangerous cyclists who are doing their best to

> give cyclists in general (the majority of whom are

> well behaved) a bad name. The type of cyclists

> whose attitude seems to be "F*** off, I'm saving

> the planet!"

What ZT said. The last line not only made me laugh, but it's bang on.

I wasn't here for the last debate. The only decent cyclist I've encountered lately was Micky Flanagan !! I had one car damaged, the rear wing dented by a passing handlebar or brake? Insurance? Another car punched on the way past me, as I sat in traffic, for no reason whatsoever other than the cyclist had the hump. There seem to be more arrogant, pious, rude, rule-breaking cyclists than ever:

There are the speedy ones, all the gear, stop for NOTHING !!

Leisure ones, no helmet, no road sense at all as can't drive, kiddie in death trap basket, wobbling along with shopping on handle bars.

Hoodie ones, off for some wacky baccy, will only ever own a bicycle, no lights.

There are ones who don't care if you are all turning left, and they are in the wrong lane, going straight on ... no wonder they get squashed by lorries.

Cyclists v Motorists can be debated ad infinitum.

However, this is also about Cyclists v Pedestrians - I personally don't think there are any excuses for a Cyclist to run into a pedestrian as they are crossing the road at a traffic light. I commute quite a bit between ED and Soho on a bike and I see this happening all the time. No excuses here bike people - I don't care if you are trying to "F***ing save the planet" - if an old lady (or indeed any pedestrian) is trying to cross the road at a traffic light, don't jump the red light!

I would say always give way to a pedestrian (even if they are in the wrong) personally. Not worth injuring anyone for the principle of right of way. And I would say the same to drivers too. People will always do daft things on the roads and some of those things may well be dangerous, but there's no point in endangering anyone in order to make a point.

Appalling post maybe, that's my experience of cyclists. They are joked about in hospitals as "eye donors", how appalling is that, its dreadful !!

They are not trained or licenced.

They are not insured, so any damage they do, the car owner pays for.

They do not have to wear a hat, but I have to wear a seatbelt?

They are mostly selfish in their actions, endangering other road users (and their own children in the case of wobbly shopping woman).

There was a VERY large lorry turning left at Vauxhall Cross, because it was so large it was taking up the central lane of three, with the left lane empty as that is where its back end would be when it proceeded with the green light. I held back behind the lorry, knowing that I IN A CAR, would be squashed by the large trailer .... who goes whizzing along next to the back wheels A CYCLIST. A VERY STUPID BUT LUCKY ONE !!

Thank you.

Sorry would like to add, I don't mean to offend. Generally there are a lot of IDIOTS everywhere, on bikes, in cars, in motorbility scooters (which are another pain at times), and idiot pedestrians, who step off the kerb in headphones, texting .... and there are some sensible people doing the right things as well. Thank you.

stringvest Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry would like to add, I don't mean to offend.

> Generally there are a lot of IDIOTS everywhere, on

> bikes, in cars, in motorbility scooters (which are

> another pain at times), and idiot pedestrians, who

> step off the kerb in headphones, texting .... and

> there are some sensible people doing the right

> things as well. Thank you.

Such are the pressures of modern life. There's no going back to the 60s and 70s.

I used to cycle to work until a near miss with a black cab on the Waterloo roundabout (I was on the roundabout at the time; he wasn't). I drive now and am frequently appalled by the antics of a lot of cyclists (and motorcyclists) everywhere in London. I've even had one lycra lout undertake me at high speed when I was reverse parking outside my house (nowhere in sight when I began the manoeuvre) and giving me the finger and other abuse when we nearly collided.

I do empathise but, as road users, we all need to be considerate to and accommodating of each other, EVEN those who don't know, or choose to ignore, the rules of the road. I also understand the need to let off steam here regarding such matters, so don't be put off doing that. Better that than getting into a verbal or physical altercation on the road.

Waiting to cross at the zebra crossing on Bellenden Road yesterday with a pram, 3 cars drive straight over the Zebra crossing without stopping to let me across.

Last week a woman drove at speed towards the zebra crossing at the roundabout outside the EDT looking the complete opposite way as I was crossing with my pram giving me the fright of my life.

Think everyone needs to observe the road rules, no matter whether a cyclist, pedestrian or driver.

Really? No-one in this country has read Ayn Rand, never mind know who the hell she was. And Thatcher's comment was perhaps harsh, but in context makes more sense. If 'society' is going to solve your problem, then who do you actually turn to? Here's what she said:

"I think we've been through a period where too many people have been given to understand that if they have a problem, it's the government's job to cope with it: 'I have a problem, I'll get a grant.' 'I'm homeless, the government must house me.' They're casting their problem on society. And, you know, there is no such thing as society.

There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It's our duty to look after ourselves and then, also to look after our neighbour. People have got the entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There's no such thing as entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation."

Some would argue that industrial relations in the 1970s perfectly exemplified the 'sod you' attitude you mention. And don't forget that the film "I'm All Right Jack" came out way back in the 1950s.

And FYI I hated Thatcher and think Ayn Rand was a weird psycho.