Nothing to complain about

RobbleMuji

I like having a cinema on my doorstep that shows more interesting films than a multiplex.

I'm glad a great bakery and cafe opened down the road from me, and employs local people.

For the matter, I applaud all the independent shops and businesses around here even when they're not my cup of tea. It takes guts to start your own business.

I also expect to pay more for higher quality, if something's not made in a factory, or someone doesn't have a big company backing them to artifically keep prices low.

I like going to pubs, including ones with children in them.

I for one think there's room for 'old' and 'new' East Dulwich, and that it'd be a far duller place without the 'new'.

RobbleMuji Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm glad a great bakery and cafe opened down the

> road from me, and employs local people.

Not wishing to disappoint and assuming we're talking about the same place. I tried hard to like it but the lukewarm tea and one extremely large sugar (I don't take it but my guest wanted it in her very very poor real mint stalk tea) bowl in the place - needing to be retrieved from other tables by customers - didn't impress me at all.

/moan.

RobbleMuji Wrote:

> I like having a cinema on my doorstep that shows

> more interesting films than a multiplex.

> For the matter, I applaud all the independent

> shops and businesses around here even when they're

> not my cup of tea. It takes guts to start your own

> business.

> I also expect to pay more for higher quality, if

> something's not made in a factory, or someone

> doesn't have a big company backing them to

> artifically keep prices low.

> I like going to pubs, including ones with children

> in them.

> I for one think there's room for 'old' and 'new'

> East Dulwich, and that it'd be a far duller place

> without the 'new'.

For what it's worth, I agree. I really like East Dulwich, it's a good area to live in.

Yes.. Ask any migrant at Calais why he wants to come to England ? and they will tell you..

.. they want to get to east Dulwich because they have a New Cinema and a Franco Manca and you can take

your kids to the pub...

All the essentials that any desperate person would need.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> Fox - don't you like real honey? You decadent sh*t

> - you think that's why desperate people come to

> this country - for real honey?

I eat Honey very rarely -- I'm diabetic. Honey.. even the good stuff isn't exactly a health food.

I occasionally use Agave Nectar which is a low G.I. sweetener.

Foxy

Not sure how those desperate migrants entered the discussion about East Dulwich being basically a nice place to live.

I guess if the conversation is going that way though I'd suggest that people who are in a desperate place would feel blessed to have a roof over their head in a nice place with amenities etc. Not that I am suggesting (before I get jumped on)they would be fortunate to be able to afford it....

The main point being (as I believe the OP is saying )is that we complain a lot......and should count ourselves lucky that we have any honey available to us at all!

The Cinema and M&S are noteable game changers for ED. In their wake others will follow and the moaners will be dead by then probably

I'm looking forwards to the Lordship Lane Canal being dug, filled with ducks, eco gondalas and rotting Fox carcass.

Seabag Wrote:

> The Cinema and M&S are noteable game changers for

> ED. In their wake others will follow and the

moaners will be dead by then probably

>

> I'm looking forwards to the Lordship Lane Canal

> being dug, filled with ducks, eco gondalas and

rotting Fox carcass.

Anyone find Seabag's comment remotely funny ?

Dulwich Fox

I'm liking living near enough to ED to enjoy it, it's not perfect but where is (other than the past)

I'm looking forwards to changes too, and as I said the Cinema & M&S will bring further business in and add to the mix

The moaners will eventually moan no more, but other will no doubt replace them

Darwinian fact that

Yep... live in Peckham Rye these days, so close enough to easily walk into ED if I want to, but also slightly separated from it so can look on as an "observer" if I so wish. There are things I miss which have gone, but also plenty of new things I like (cinema, ice cream parlour, some of the restaurants).

Cinema and M&S (if it ever appears) will possibly act as a catalyst.. but then so did places like William Rose and The Palmerston, and before that ED Deli, Blue Mountain, etc. Not many places in London stand still.

Yeah quite possibly there will be a few more chains. They've been creeping in slowly along LL (oliver bonas, white stuff, gourmet burger, sainsburys, and now potentially M&S).

Peckham, Forest Hill, etc are likely to provide better value premises for small businesses getting off the ground, and plenty of punters to lap it up.

Agave Nectar is very high in fructose and bad for you, despite the low GI. Don't be fooled.

Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Fox - don't you like real honey? You decadent

> sh*t

> > - you think that's why desperate people come to

> > this country - for real honey?

>

> I eat Honey very rarely -- I'm diabetic. Honey..

> even the good stuff isn't exactly a health food.

> I occasionally use Agave Nectar which is a low

> G.I. sweetener.

>

> Foxy

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> Agave Nectar is very high in fructose and bad for

> you, despite the low GI. Don't be fooled.

Yes that's right. I still have the same squeezy bottle I have had for over a year so I don't actually

use it Very much.

I no longer have such a sweet tooth and now drink tea black with no sugar.

Foxy

Jeremy Wrote:

> Yeah quite possibly there will be a few more

> chains. They've been creeping in slowly along LL

> (oliver bonas, white stuff, gourmet burger,

> sainsburys, and now potentially M&S).

>

You forgot Cafe Nero :))

And the Co-op ...... :)

M&S is one chain replacing another (Iceland) not an increase in the number of chains. Almost every new shop that's opened to replace an existing shop in the last few years is still independent. This has to do with the small size of the area's retail units that are suboptimal size for most chains. Rye lane has more chains than Lordship Lane- economics has very little to do with it as there are high end and low end chain stores obviously.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Yep... live in Peckham Rye these days, so close

> enough to easily walk into ED if I want to, but

> also slightly separated from it so can look on as

> an "observer" if I so wish. There are things I

> miss which have gone, but also plenty of new

> things I like (cinema, ice cream parlour, some of

> the restaurants).

>

> Cinema and M&S (if it ever appears) will possibly

> act as a catalyst.. but then so did places like

> William Rose and The Palmerston, and before that

> ED Deli, Blue Mountain, etc. Not many places in

> London stand still.

Sorry, we don't want your type around here.

RobbleMuji Wrote:

> I like having a cinema on my doorstep that shows

> more interesting films than a multiplex.

> For the matter, I applaud all the independent

> shops and businesses around here even when they're

> not my cup of tea. It takes guts to start your own

> business.

> I also expect to pay more for higher quality, if

> something's not made in a factory, or someone

> doesn't have a big company backing them to

> artifically keep prices low.

> I like going to pubs, including ones with children

> in them.

> I for one think there's room for 'old' and 'new'

> East Dulwich, and that it'd be a far duller place

> without the 'new'.

Thanks LondonMix - well aware that Iceland is also a chain! But chains HAVE been creeping in - not exactly a deluge, but your statement that "almost every new shop" is independent is clearly not true.

Besides, I was(more or less) disagreeing with Grotbag's assertion that M&S and the cinema are game changers which will open the floodgates. It's all a continuation of the same process..