Might Be opening a New Bar/Cafe in E.Dulwich

nico1

Hello everyone from East Dulwich,

I am writing this post as an open thread for research and a sounding board.

I am currently in the process of trying to secure a premises in the Dulwich area to open a Bar/Cafe.

Now, I know how particular yet eclectic you Dulwich residents are as I have been in the Dulwich area all my life so I am not moving in on URE patch to try and speed up the process of changing into New Clapham. As everyone knows prices in Dulwich are now seriously high and opening a business in the current economic climate is a huge risk on my part. The bar will be an independent and First for me so I am not a chain and do not view Dulwich as another notch on my franchise bedpost. Its pretty scary writing this as ure views are important and can be brutal but I would love for ideas and suggestions, music, food, atmosphere etc. Obviously I do have my own Ideas but I dnt want to reveal them quite yet as the deal is in the balance and dont want to tempt fate. Dont guess the venue as I wont let you know yet and not obvious. I would be hugely gratefull for your support and help. Over the years, businesses in Dulwich have been made or broken through word of mouth and reputation so the importance of the forum is huge to me. I will be posting regular updates and keeping everyone informed.Its exciting for me and hopefully involving the forum will make it exciting for you. X

Horsebox - funny! but maybe not helpful to a first-time poster who is obviously nervous!

Nico1 - great first post and good to know you seem to genuinely care about what people locally want

If you've been following posts on here for a while you probably know that more that one or two of us hanker after Inside 72. That may be the opposite of the idea you have in mind but there it is

Are you aiming for Lordship Lane? You will probably have decided wether to aim for the large weekend crowds or something a bit less lairy ?

If it ticks most of these boxes I'll be happy:

An owner that's passionate about the business

Staff that understand the meaning of service

Quality sound system

An interesting and varying menu to suit all budget types with quality ingredients (not necessarily organic)

Comfortable seating

Tasteful decor

Selection of cocktails

Belgian beer, Guinness and a guest bitter

Wi-Fi

lozzyloz Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it ticks most of these boxes I'll be happy:

>

> An owner that's passionate about the business

> Staff that understand the meaning of service

> Quality sound system

> An interesting and varying menu to suit all budget

> types with quality ingredients (not necessarily

> organic)

> Comfortable seating

> Tasteful decor

> Selection of cocktails

> Belgian beer, Guinness and a guest bitter

> Wi-Fi

xxxxxx

Yeh agree with all of that, more than one real ale would be good but guess I may be in a minority there :)

Oh and decent music, but guess you can't please everybody on that front ....

I too loved inside 72, but in all honesty there are plus points and minus points in all E.Dulwich drinking places. Many people found faults with inside 72 but the atmosphere and vibe was exceptional.

Nico, If you're thinking about serving cocktails then I say keep it simple. A small menu of classics, prepared with high quality ingredients should do the trick.

If a customer does wish to go off-piste, so to speak, then your bar staff should have the knowledge to prepare many other non listed beverages as well.

ratty Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Somewhere with decent music would be great though

> (RIP I72)

>

> Perhaps even... GASP.... a jukebox!

xxxxx

Hey, a jukebox would be fab !!!!

:)-D

There will not be a jukebox,sorry, not enough room and will not fit in with the decor(not meaning a snobby,common interior will be installed),again sorry. Music will be very mixed and interesting. As for the cocktails,as we know Adventure is opening and I cant compete with thier list, however ane of my friends is one of the best cocktail barman in Mayfair and we are working on a small varied menu focused on the quality and not quantity(do not fear,the word mayfair as the prices will not reflect that!).

Before anyone follows that advice I would like to see more people vote with their wallet and visit

Hoopers

The Duke

Nuns Head

Montpelier

more often

I'm fed up of being in a tiny group in those places - all of them offer something different to the LL experience but we are poor at supporting them I reckon

The point of the marying between the day and evening trade is important and something which I am giving alot of thought. I think the only way is for the day vibe to drastically chang into the evening, ie, music. Unfortunately the venue will not open for next weekend, sorry sean. The purchasing process is full of red tape as I am sure you know.