Post Office Closures - Fight Back!

Zak

It's clear that nobody takes a blind bit of notice of all those Emails that people send protesting about the proposed closure of this or that( eg Melbourne Grove)post ofice.

Why should they? Someone from the Royal Mail (their owners) has been out with a tape measure and ascertained that we're all only 0.8 of a mile from the nearest post office and so what's the problem?

The problem is that there are now loads more people trying to use a diminshing number of post offices: you may be able to get there - but will you ever get served? They measure to the distance, but not the length of the queues! If you go into the Post Office on LL, then you really need to take a paper, a good book and some Kendal mint cake!

It's time to fight back. Why are we all standing meekly in these queues - waiting and waiting. They crow about customer service - well let's start seeing some!

Let's start to demand to see the manager and ask why they don't open more windows and provide a decent service. If they claim not to have enough staff, then they need to think about getting some more! Let's see old and diabled people getting a good service for a change!

They can deal with any number of emails (they've a huge "delete button"),but people complaining in person and making a fuss is another matter. If enough of us start to protest and turn on the heat, then who knows things might improve. It's also the sort of thing that the media would like to get in on.

So, what do you think? Who's for seeing what we can do to bring about some much needed change?

What depressing responses! I'm with you Zak - ridiculous queues at almost all times of the day and loads of empty windows. I've got a small baby and have walked away several times because I can't face him waking up and screaming in endless queue. We're far too passive these days; however 2m people marched against the Iraq war and look where that got us. Mr Bumpkin is convinced that the only thing the government takes any notice of is violence and I don't think that's really going to work with post office queues...

No, they are doing the right thing. The post office is becoming increasingly irrelevant. A lot of the services you can get elsewhere or do it online. They are overstaffed and over unionised - sack the lot of them, I say. Incorporating them into other shops e.g. WH Smiths makes a lot of sense.

The post office on LL is pretty bad with its queues. I dread going there!

Start using the Post office at the Plough - by the Lordship Lane / Crystal Palace Rd junction (near Dulwich Library). About a 10 minute walk from Iceland - albeit a little uphill, so the elderly may prefer to use their free bus pass to get there in 2 minutes on the bus!

I've never waited more than 5 minutes and there is usually only a couple of people in the queue.

A few points.

I think that the staff in LL post office are very friendly and helpful, likewise Forest Hill Rd and top of LL.

It's a great shame that smaller post offices are closing. But this is inevitable, times change there is not much you can do about it, scream shout protest etc... it's still going to happen. It's a business and if it's not making money then it needs to reform.

I try and limit my use of the post office for all of the reasons that everyone is moaning about. This is done by using the online alternatives - the PO website offers a lot- if you are using this forum then you are computer literate enough to use the online postage system for example. Car tax - do it online - you don't need to show your MOT or insurance - it's all checked online automatically. I admit it doesn't suit everyone, but if you can do it online you'll help reduce the queues so those who want to queue can.

There are choices - use them if you can.