New food business, FHR

Nigello

The workman at the old launderette (near the Co-Op) said that it was due to open soon to serve "organic" but he didn't say as a shop or restaurant/cafe. There had been some flood damage from a flat upstairs so that was slowing things down but said it should be open "in a few weeks".

Oo that sounds interesting... this strip has so much potential. The old dentist premises has been sold and the chap at the DIY store next door is (sadly) retiring and is selling up, but hopefully the premises will be occupied by something good. New cafe by the turkish supermarket, 'new' french bistro (currently BYO) , all good stuff!

It is good news, kristymac1: I like that there is mixed business and not too much food-and-drinkery.

That strip is good because of its variety. I like having a DIY shop, a dentist, an old fashioned caff, a pub, a Co-Op (despite its eccentricities), a PO and a barber's shop etc., as well as restaurants and bistros.

It could be made even better if the pavements were made even and perhaps a few trees - even in planters - were put in. Also, the bins are a bit stinky but at least they look nice and match the bollards.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I like that there is mixed business and not too much food-and-drinkery.

That strip is good because of its variety. I like having a DIY shop, a dentist, an old fashioned caff, a pub, a Co-Op (despite its eccentricities) a PO and a barber's shop etc., as well as restaurants and bistros.

That's why I love it - it's a useful strip of shops (2 pharmacies as well). The Herne garden is having a major overhaul too...

-------------------------------------------------------

It could be made even better if the pavements were made even and perhaps a few trees - even in planters - were put in.

Totally agree and it shouldn't cost a fortune - I wonder whether Southwark's CGS would be worth approaching for funds - I think I'll make some initial enquiries, perhaps a bid from local residents and business owners?

Why can't business owners take the initiative anyway, without having to resort to handouts? Fair enough, if there is cash that is set aside for such things, do it, but its absence does not absolve an owner of a duty or responsibility to make things better. It makes me annoyed that some business owners (not many, but a few) let their properties be covered with tagging or have dodgy paving and do absolutely nothing about it.

On the subject of the DIY shop, the rumour I've heard is that it's going to become a delicatessen.

I asked in co-op yesterday if they had any plans for expansion into the shops next door. They had literally no idea and said it was a decision for head office. And of course 'head office never tell us anything'.

A great addition to FHR. Very cool place with a decent garden section for those sunny days and some nice seating at the front. Coffee is good and they do some mean cakes, sandwiches and homemade goods.

Definitely worth a visit if you haven't already been.