Doctors practices and data sharing

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone's had any problems before with local doctors practices sharing their data with nuisance callers?

I registered yesterday at The Gardens Practice and put my boyfriend down as the emergency contact. This is the only instance I can think of where I've put his contact details down in relation to my details anywhere (we don't live together). It was only yesterday evening that I filled in the forms, and he's been receiving cold calls today from 'accident claims helplines' saying they have records of me being in an accident and having put him down as a contact, and did he want to make a claim? He's never received any call before like this.

I'm really shocked at the thought of the NHS selling data on to nuisance callers like this, and also a bit taken aback at how irresponsible these callers are - if I'd put my family down as an emergency contact (they live miles away so I didn't), and they'd had a call saying I'd been in an accident, it could have seriously panicked them!

Has anyone else had this problem or similar?

I have had a few calls from these sort of cold callers. Generally and certainly in my case, they are phishing. They refer to an accident you have had in the hope that you will had one and they can thus 'ply their trade'. I would think that any details you supply to your doctors will be protected by the Data Protection Act. If you feel that their has been some sort of leak of your personal details, you should certainly take it up with the surgery.

Far too much of a coincidence I'd say, if there's no other way your names and phone numbers could have been linked.

I'd make very intensive (not sure that's the right word) enquiries at The Practice if it was me.

Based on your timing it will not be the NHS that has sold your data - GP practices are private business or partnerships that have a contract with the NHS - but they will not have had time to supply the NHS with your data and that then to be marketed by anyone in the NHS. This does appear to be a prima facie breach of data protection - I would not however complain to the practice manager (for fairly obvious reasons) but to your registered GP at the practice.

However it is most normal for insurance companies to sell on data like this (because they have the volumes to make this worthwhile). I doubt whether it would be worthwhile for a GP practice. Is there any possibility that you (or your boyfriend) have shared details about next of kin with an insurance company or website - particularly motor insurance?

Or with DVLC if you have changed your address and applied for a new driving licence registered at your new address? (I am assuming that you have moved to be changing GP). I believe people can get access to some DVLC data - you may have put next of kin data on that.

But this is about medical data sharing, not registrations with GPs - important but entirely a different issue. And most of the data being shared is anonymised - you can break this anonymity in some circumstances, and it could be breached accidentally - but it wouldn't get you to next-of-kin data if you did.

I think it's highly unlikely to be The Gardens who have sold/shared your data. I say this based on my own experience of the practice, which I've been with for several years, but also because it's too quick - data is not bought or sold one person at a time so it's v unlikely that even if your information were illegally sold or stolen in a hack that it would make its way to a call centre that fast.

Ok this a bit complicated but I'll try and explain as simply as possible how data is shared accross the NHS.

Since 2013, GPs are required to take reasonable steps to inform patients of how their data will or can be used by the NHS and other companies. Failure to do so (and offering an opt out) can result in prosecution under the Data Protection Act.

Why this came about is because practises started using a data extraction system run by the HSCIC (Health and Social Care Information Centre). The General Practice Extraction Service is the name of the service used.

So what that means is that patient data can be cross referenced within the NHS to improve patient information and therefore lead to better care, which is a good thing. On the dowside, it also potentially opens the door to purchase by researchers or private companies for use outside the NHS. That is what you should be able to opt out from.

My advice skedoodlelou, if you are concerned, would be to to ask your GP to make sure you are opted out from the personal data extraction scheme. I think it highly unlikely that your cold call was linked to your GP, but at the same time, data that changes many hands is always at risk. It just takes one unscrupulous individual.

Hope that helps.

we had these been in accident calls I'm getting them 6 to 7 times a day so I downloaded a blackberry app which allows me block certain numbers.

you add number to phone contacts then on app put under blacklist

the app is called Mr call free on blackberry phones there are android one available as well on your mobile android market place.

to set up use wi-fi on mine but once set up can use it block calls automatically for you whilst phone is on.

so no more sales call if using a number if withheld number then it can not block.

Just thought id share about app(I don't own it not selling it) just spreading awareness now obviously only works on mobiles.

my partner showed me that's the app works as he had installed one.