Large vans parking on residential street?

Calsug

I am fairly certain I know the answer to this and yes I expect to receive some grief from people tell me to stop being stupid/stuck up etc... and to suck it up, but the simple fact is we have had some neighbours move into a rented property over the road and all three of them seem to be courier drivers who park their vans in front of our house which takes up a huge chunk of parking space not to mention them waking us up at 5:45 every morning slamming van doors, starting engines and setting off for the day.

So should I stop being so precious about a parking space that is in theory free for anyone who wants to park there? I am sure this is a divisive topic but would appreciate some thoughts / suggestions

Calsug

I am afraid you are stuck with it - but you could try having a chat to them, particularly about noise on their early starts. We have had the same thing, with outsize white vans that take up two normal car park spaces. It's annoying but unless they are actually lorries you won't be able to do much about them (you can get traffic orders which stop large commercial vehicles parking in residential streets, I think).

At least they are away during the day when you need to park outside your house.

Blah Blah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Someone parks a vehicle necessary for the job they

> do outside their home and that's an issue?

Blah Blah, I think that sometimes people just need to put their thoughts out there for a bit of reassurance, support or clarification.

Not really necessary to knock them on the head about it.

And there are 3 large vehicles not one.

Personally I would feel quite irritated, especially with the early wake-up noise.

But I would feel better with a bit of sympathy if nothing could be done!

Thank you Jacqui and yes blah blah this is exactly the conundrum I faced, I am not stupid or narrow minded enough to deny that a person needs a vehicle for their job but essentially overnight a quiet street with easy parking right outside the house I live in has changed, how would you honestly feel once you stepped off your soap box?

I would take a step back and say that the road is not mine. I would also say that I live in a big crowded city and accept that there are people and vehicles etc etc.

A polite word with the neighbours about closing doors quietly etc should sort out unnecessary noise. They can't do anything about starting the engine though. I have engines starting outside my home from 5am too. It's obviously people going to work.

What do you want us to say?

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> What you have got to remember though is that these

> types of people are not particularly intelligent

> and will not have much consideration for others,

> judging by the way most of them drive....

I don't think that's very fair. I drive a van for a living and I'm not fick.

So annoying. I feel for you. Our neighbours take a black cab (particularly noisy) to work every morning at 5.15 and it always wakes us with engine running and doors slamming. Even with double glazing (which we installed especially to cut the noise). Just life in the city. But very irritating.

May not be possible for you but do you have a bedroom which isn't at the front?

Years ago I moved into my spare bedroom because of early morning car noise waking me up.

Unfortunately after some years of relatively peaceful sleep I then got woken by a neighbouring boiler going on and off throughout the night .... Then at crack of dawn running continuously .... I got acoustic glass which improved things considerably though I think the boiler noise has gone anyway ...

But may not be a solution for you. And I'm now sleeping in a very small room :))

Hi Sue,

Yes we have a room at the back and we were sleeping there whilst the main room was renovated - to be honest we were happy to move from that room as we back onto some neighbours who seem to like playing obnoxious jazz music rather loud into the small hours! Basically we're stuck between a rock and a hard place!

I think a well timed word with them is the best I can do, just will make sure its not confrontational and is reasonable.

As i have said all along I totally understand I can do nothing about it and people have to make a living - its just trying to get a bit of consideration thrown into the mix which should hopefully make a difference.

We get lots of shop owners who park their large vans in our street to avoid parking charges - we have free parking. They take up so much space and are quite happy to bash your car about whilst trying to park their van in a very tight space. They tend to be old rust buckets covered in graffiti and should you be lucky enough to have one park outside your house, goodbye to daylight in the living room.

I have to say I have some sympathy for the van drivers! Sometimes, it's necessary for me to park my work van (large Luton) on the street outside my house and sometimes I do have to leave early in the morning, I don't like doing it but sometimes I don't have a choice, it's my job!! I once had a neighbour tell me I had no right to park on the street and I was actually making it look untidy! To keep him happy I tried parking the van around the corner, away from the front of peoples houses and I had spare wheels stolen, and graffiti sprayed onto the side of it! Outside my house it has never been touched! Take away the theft and criminal damage, it also contains the valuable contents of my work, in reality having it outside the house doesn't make it any more secure but it does give me some peace of mind! Just think how you feel when you can't park your car in view of your house, and then imagine that car being replaced by your work/livelihood!

The situation with three vans doesn't sound ideal but where else are the poor guys supposed to park!? Trust me, finding somewhere secure to park 1 van in East Dulwich is hard, three would be impossible! Try having a word with them and you'll probably find them to be decent people, contrary to what the Daily Mail would have you believe, people who drive vans are human beings too!!