No through route at Loughborough Junction

mikeb

This is not quite East Dulwich but will affect many people who live around here, at least for the next six months and probably much longer. Also relevant for the Melbourne Grove thread.

http://www.lambeth.gov.uk/sites/default/files/LJ%20consultation%20visualisations.pdf

The proposals are specifically designed to prevent non-residents driving through Loughborough Junction.

Really no good reason that there should be traffic along there.

Should hopefully open up another safe corridor for cycling into the City from South and South East.

Glad to see that cycles aren't traffic, perhaps they could keep off the roads where traffic does go? ... Oh, I see they are just not traffic when it suites, then. Presumably cyclists wish to use these roads to go where they want to go to - well, just like motorists then...

Apologies, that should have read "through motor traffic"

So, yes, cycles are traffic.

Do you understand the difference to the public environment between designing permeability for cycling and walking versus allowing permeability for motor traffic? There are plenty of available parallel routes for motor traffic around Loughborough Junction.

It didn't during the trial closures.

But your point highlights the main issue with any scheme like this: If there is not a coherent, borough wide system in place then changes like this can only have limited effect. Thankfully Lambeth does have such a plan.

Plenty of evidence that GENERALLY creating new roads generates more traffic. M25 classic example. Closing roads leads to traffic evaporation. People constantly make decisions about whether they can be bothered. Make it easier then they are and vice versa.

It sounds like davidk is suggesting trial experimental closure - for whatever reasons - resulted in traffic evaporation. This doesn't mean it isn't a pain in the proverbial for some.

The closure of Townley Road hasn't led to dire traffic levels along Lordship Lane/Melbourne Grove as far as I'm aware.

People are amazingly smart and adaptable.

So it sounds like you are limbering up to favour the Melbourne Grove closure then, James.

The main reason why the closure of Townley Road hasn't caused a big problem is because it has been closed during the holidays. Just wait and see what it will be like if the road is still closed after the schools go back.

It's a useful route for getting to Waterloo or Kennington... completely bypassing Brixton to get onto the A23 (you can't turn right from Camberwell New Rd onto Kennington Park Rd). Would have to either find a rat run or get stuck in the Brixton one-way system for 15 mins. No skin off my nose (I rarely drive in that direction these days) but there are people whose livelihoods depend on being able to get round London.

Nevertheless I do see the plus side.. LJ is not the most pleasant of areas, I'm sure anything which makes it a nicer place to live will be welcomed by the locals.

James Barber Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Plenty of evidence that GENERALLY creating new

> roads generates more traffic. M25 classic example.

> Closing roads leads to traffic evaporation. People

> constantly make decisions about whether they can

> be bothered. Make it easier then they are and vice

> versa.

>

> It sounds like davidk is suggesting trial

> experimental closure - for whatever reasons -

> resulted in traffic evaporation. This doesn't mean

> it isn't a pain in the proverbial for some.

>

> The closure of Townley Road hasn't led to dire

> traffic levels along Lordship Lane/Melbourne Grove

> as far as I'm aware.

>

> People are amazingly smart and adaptable.

Remarkable misuse of facts. But why?

This statement is misleading and should be ignored. As everyone knows and as the consultation showed, term time am and pm are the problem traffic times at Townley due to 4 private schools directly at the junction and the associated car and coach traffic.

Which is precisely why Southwark and all our Cllrs knew the work had to take place over the summer months. And now the works are overrunning then we don't have to take anyone's view. It will be self evident.

No doubt we might see a Cllr on Melbourne Grove counting the traffic. Or perhaps the Cllrs will just evaporate.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> Hear, hear. Breathtaking bullsh** from Cllr Barber

> and he knows it. Next time you want the road shut,

> do it in term time and see what happens...

Have you ever seen Cllr Barber say he got it wrong badly. Only look at how brilliant I am

richard tudor Wrote:

> Have you ever seen Cllr Barber say he got it wrong

> badly. Only look at how brilliant I am

Very true that. I was reading his column in SE22 magazine over the weekend and it's full of his 'I'm really chuffed with myself' self-congratulation. He really does need to get his articles proofread though.

James Barber wrote?.

It sounds like davidk is suggesting trial experimental closure - for whatever reasons - resulted in traffic evaporation. This doesn't mean it isn't a pain in the proverbial for some.

The closure of Townley Road hasn't led to dire traffic levels along Lordship Lane/Melbourne Grove as far as I'm aware.

People are amazingly smart and adaptable.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Perhaps because it has been closed over the summer holidays.Dramatically different!!!!

I've got to say that at the moment, morning traffic in Brixton / Camberwell / Oval / Kennington is chaos right now. And I can't believe this 'trial' has been put on the same time as everywhere from Oval to Blackfriars is being excavated. Schools started today and eventually I ended up getting off the bus and walking the middle section from Camberwell to Windmill Road in Kennington.

I love cycling and running but for some journeys (particularly involving young kids) it is not practicable and buses / trains to Kennington currently take over an hour. Sometimes driving is the only option (and yes we used to car share). Closing down driving routes doesn't provide additional options but only adds to stress. Yes this is a 'residential' route but people live on every road in London - is Lordship Lane therefore a residential route?

"I love cycling and running but for some journeys (particularly involving young kids) it is not practicable"

You need one of these...

http://www.reallyusefulbikes.co.uk/our-brands/cargo-and-family-bikes/gazelle-cabby-from-netherlands/

It's the family car in our household. Though getting it to the top of Green Dale is, let's say, good for the heart and lungs.

Still open to traffic now...unless we are all going to get a photo of our cars and a demand for monies for disobeying a tiny road-sign....wouldn't put it past them....

To be honest I am surprised Lambeth are able to ring-fence this area with a load of road closures - there is a reason people have to use it and it will cause chaos once it does close.