just got swindled... & feeling like an idiot !

ali2007

just to share, I had 2 guys in a pick-up / van drop by and ask to clear the stuff from my front garden this morning. Don't answer the door to these guys - I wish I hadn't!

we had some oversized wood panels that the council refused to collect as they're over 6ft and some earth in bags and a metal stand. My first question was 'how much' to which he replied 'don't worry we'll look after you'.

My friend was at the door and said 'wow there ARE still some good people out there'... then 5mins later he asks for ?60 for loading it, while already loading it on the truck.

Feeling like I was over a barrel, I agreed to ?50 but had to go the bank as I didn't have all the cash in the house. I gave him ?40 in cash and walked to the bank. Came back and the front was clear except the metal which he then explained he couldn't take because it's scrap ??

Feeling like he was ripping me off - I asked him to clear 2 more pieces of wood from the back garden for the final ?10. He said he'd come back at 5pm for them to which I replied 'perfect but I'll give you the final ?10 then'. As they left I noticed that my neighbours garden waste bin was in my garden - they had just filled my neighbours bin with all the earth from the bags (that I don't think the council will collect) and it's so heavy it's difficult to move.

Two seconds later they then come back demanding the final ?10 to which I pointed at the bin and pointed out it wasn't even mine. I refused to pay the final ?10 unless they came back and got the last of the wood. Now I'm feeling ?40 out of pocket, have to explain to my neighbours why their bin is full of earth and waiting for a brick to come through my window ;-) Not a good start to the day.

Don't be as silly as me and answer the door to these guys...

thanks for your kind words :)

no I wasn't quick enough to take their number plate, but just wanted to share as they seemed nice (to begin with)...

hopefully it will make someone else stop and think before they get involved with these guys.

I definitely should have known better!

There's a guy who sometimes advertises on here.. he takes large items away (breaking them up if necessary), and uses an MPV so can just use the regular domestic tip. A good service for people who don't have cars.. think of it as a minicab for your rubbish. Will try to dig out the details.

two white guys - one younger one who was brunette (around 25/30 yrs old who was driving).

A slightly older guy about 50 yrs old. The older guy did most of the talking.

white large-ish pick-up truck that has wood panels propped up inside so you can't see what's inside.

thanks all for being kind about my error. Now I'm off to the shops to buy my neighbour a bottle of wine and explain the bin situ :-/

It's a shame you lost some money over this, ali2007, and i'm sorry about that, but just to echo an earlier post PLEASE remember that it is essential to use only licensed waste carriers if you have large items that cannot easily be taken to the council dump/recycling centres or collected by the council themselves. It is your legal responsibility to dispose of any waste properly. I happen to live on a road where we've had a perennial problem with flytipping over the years and it is always builders waste from garden or house refurbs ie decking, rubble, wood etc

These guys are good http://www.anyrubbish.co.uk/ i've used them in the past as i don't drive and also have difficulty - on the rare occasions when i can't recycle/repurpose something - of getting rid of stuff that the council won't collect. Yes, it will cost you some money, but please, do the responsible thing and don't get ripped off by flytippers.

Speaking of what the council will or will not collect, I asked them to collect a clean acrylic bathtub last year. They told me that 'for hygiene reasons' they would not take it. So they'll collect an enormous pile of used nappies along with all manner of other foulness on a fortnightly basis but not a bathtub? The council yet again showing they possess not an ounce of logic.