Electoral role ( I am being removed from..)

Jennys

I have just had a letter from Southwark Council electoral registration department saying I am being removed from the electoral role. They state that I am not entitled to be registered to vote at my address as they "have reason to believe" I do not live here. Since I have lived at the same East Dulwich address since early 1987 and have always filled in and returned electoral registration forms I am really angry about this. When I phoned the Council (I had to hold on for fifteen minutes) I was told "everyone" is getting these letters. Has anyone else had a letter like this?

Read this on Vox Political website from a commenter a week or so ago: "My 18 year old grandson fired up to vote for Corbyn, following all the issues, keen as mustard, has been knocked back because he was told that he is not on the electoral register. How come he was allowed to vote in the May General Election? By the time he got the email about this it was after the 14th August. Anything sinister in this Mike? I hope not. He lives in the constituancy of which you have ?local knowledge? and is very disappointed at not being allowed to vote."

Mike Siviersaid:August 20, 2015 at 8:19 pm

"A few people have been getting this, all over the country. His best bet is to check the electoral register ? that?s with his county council ? and if he isn?t on it, ask what happened to knock him off."

http://voxpoliticalonline.com/2015/08/14/labour-will-discount-leader-election-votes-after-theyve-been-cast-wont-that-encourage-vote-rigging/

El Presidente Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> buddug Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it's strange

> it

> > should be happening now, when the voting for

> > Labour leader is still open. Southwark is after

> > all Blairite New Labour and they are getting

> > desperate..

>

> This is probably on the money.

EFA

jennys, yes i had the same letter. i wasn't told exactly why i was removed although 'having reason to believe i no longer reside at my address' was one several reasons stated. can't remember the others. thought it was strange that it was quite vague. i live on grove vale.

buddug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it's strange it

> should be happening now, when the voting for

> Labour leader is still open. Southwark is after

> all Blairite New Labour and they are getting

> desperate...

Yes you're right, you are a conspiracy theorist.

There was plenty of publicity about the changes which was bought in by the previous Coalition Govt https://www.gov.uk/government/news/biggest-change-to-voter-registration-in-a-generation. We ignored the first letter thinking it was the same opt out letter we received every 3-4 (or is it 2) years. On receiving the second one I took the time to read it and found that if we didn't text or email to opt in, we would be removed from electoral register.

Hah. Quite Zebedee Tring - oh how i love your name. However, look at Rod Stewart's lyrics: "Knowing that you lied straight-faced while I cried, Still I look to find a reason to believe". With Southwark residents being told they no longer live in their homes because there is 'reason to believe' they don't. That is plain wrong. N'est-pas?

I contacted our local Councillors and one kindly forwarded my email to the head of electoral services at Southwark. I have just heard back and have learnt that this was indeed a clerical error in my case and that I am still on the electoral roll. I was told that the Council will investigate further before they remove someone's name. They were very apologetic too. So it really was the cock up theory not the conspiracy theory.

Hi all it's all to do with the national changes in the electoral system that came into place a year or two ago. It means that everyone living in a household has to register individually and one person can't register the whole household anymore eg the 18 year old may have been initially registered by his parents ( from 16 you can be added to the register but won't be able to vote) but this year needed to register individually. If you are being asked for ID it may be you have never provided ID before. It's rationale behind this is to reduce electoral fraud.

Renata

I'd also add that the electoral roll is checked versus Dept. of Work and Pensions record of where each person says they live. Effectively taking National Insurance number as unique identifiers to avoid people registering to vote multiple time - unless they're a student, etc. The aim is to reduce electoral fraud. The initial new system matched over 90% of people automatically with DWP records.

Locally we've seen very little change in the overall number of voters. But we used to see the same person registered twice or more - probably clerical errors - and I've not seen this since. So my hunch is the general election small increase in turnout was related to removing spurious duplicate voters.

But if anyone need help with their electoral roll entry and is finding getting a correction difficult get in touch.