Southwark large item collection

Callie

Lowlander Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If it's too long, buy a cheap hacksaw for ?10 or

> so from a local DIT shop and cut the ends off to

> make it less than 6ft, be cheaper than arranging

> private disposal...

Or fold it/ roll it and gaffer tape it up??

HP

James Barber Wrote:

> Southwark plan to charge ?16 per collection from

> October. We've asked for the decision to be called

> and reviewed but it is likely to proceed with

> charging.

Cue the mass fly-tipping of old sofas, knackered wardrobes and mattresses on our streets from October onwards.

Callie Wrote:

> Does anyone know if they will collect a wooden

> double bed frame & mattress? Just missed them as

> they shut at 5pm. Frame comes apart, 4 sides & the

> base slats. Also if they don't collect, does

> anyone know who does? Thanks

Yes I just had a kingsize bed and mattress collected by Southwark - took the frame apart and there was no problem

Easy to do,once booked you can reply to there email upto 48 hours before collection with amendments upto 15 items.

We just got rid double bed mattress old good nothing duvets, rusted cabinet shelf took.all no problem.

And mine was slightly more than 6 ft.

As I saw there plan to charge rushed to get ours collected.

Hope they change mind will only lead fly tipping off those who enjoy dumping stuff.

Anything decent give away free here we do.

Ours was not use able anymore.

giggirl Wrote:

> Sad news if Southwark is going to impose a charge

> for collecting large items. There will be

> increased fly tipping. Shame.

Yep.. then Southwark will invest in more stringent monitoring of known fly tipping sites

so they can impose hefty fines and make even more money.. We are a nation of fining schemes.

Call me an old cynic.

DulwichFox

Hi kibris,

I can confirm the charges are proposed. That the decision has been called-in to the main Overview and Scrutiny Committee which I had hope to be on tonight but due to circumstance can't.

The committee has a Labour majority so doesn't often agree to return a decision back for full reconsideration. So as things stand 1 October ?16 per collection of up to 10 items.

Have that Spring clean-out NOW.

This a really stupid and short sighted decision. One of the most short sighted and stupid decisions for a long time.I realise that it costs them Council money, but do they honestly not think that people won't just dump stuff in the street? Some people already do, even with a collection service, and this will just make the situation a great deal worse

What will happen to fly tipping? Will the council come and clear that up or are we supposed to live in streets along with the old mattresses , broken furniture and strange yellow bottles?

Hi Lynne,

I agree. It appears to be a money making idea but the overall total costs when you consider reactive fly tipping clearance etc. in my view mean they make little money from this but annoy people.

The council largely closes down in August. The administration changed who would make these decisions from the whole cabinet to the sole cabinet member. They then took this decision during the school summer holidays. It gives the whiff of burying this news.

Lewisham, which charges for collections of large items of refuse, has always appeared to have more old televisions, stained mattresses and broken sofas littering its back streets and open spaces than Southwark, which collected large items without charge.

• 2 weeks later...
Another brain dead decision by Southwark Council carried out during the summer break no less. So I guess they have a team on standby ready to jump into action when the calls to collect fly tipped rubbish starts flowing in. Great money saving plan Southwark Council. Southwark residents salute you!

I arranged for 8 fence panels to be arranged this Tuesday and needless to say the council guys turned up and left what they were supposed to collect. Just called the Southwark helpline and was told there was a note on the system that I have to tie all 8 fence panels together for them to be collected......I was amazed....not entirely sure how anyone will lift 8 bundled fence panels but I will give it a go!

The person on the phone then said that they have been having a lot of problems with the collection teams who are not doing the job properly and leaving a lot of items they are supposed to collect and making lots of silly suggestions (like binding 8 fence panels). Anyone else had any problems?

I wonder if this will continue like this when they start charging for the service?