Motorcycle theft Silvester Road

Fizzy

4am this morning we awoke to sound of an extremely loud power tool only to see two bikes and 4 figures down in the street in the process of cutting through a heavy security chain linked to motorcycle belonging to a neighbour. Ran outside to challenge them and got some threatening abuse before they sped off with 2 of them pushing the stolen bike towards Lordship Lane. We gather from the Police that the bike had a tracker device and was later found near Coldharbour Lane. Just alerting people in the general area to this incident.

It was chained to a post outside the bay area. They were just so blatant. We certainly were't looking to be heroic, just acting on our instincts. Trying to be a good citizen without putting yourself at risk is not an easy call sometimes, but I hate the thought of just standing by.These lowlife scumbags exploit the fear in us!

Fizzy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Trying to be a good citizen without

> putting yourself at risk is not an easy call

> sometimes, but I hate the thought of just standing

> by.These lowlife scumbags exploit the fear in us!

Indeed. Great to hear of things like this (the challenging, not the theft!) - brilliant.

Wow this is unbelievable. I live in Silvester Road and had my Vespa nicked at midnight outside the house. Van just appeared and took it away! 12 months before that the car keys were fished out of the letterbox and I lost my Grandpas BMW.

2 months ago a guy walked up to our front door on a Saturday at 11am, crowbarred the door and walked in.

We now have 3 front door locks, locked all the time, CCTV and a burglar alarm. I don't sleep well and I'm constantly wondering what next. It is not safe to live here and the Police do nothing visible to deter criminals.

MCMC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wow this is unbelievable. I live in Silvester Road

> and had my Vespa nicked at midnight outside the

> house. Van just appeared and took it away! 12

> months before that the car keys were fished out of

> the letterbox and I lost my Grandpas BMW.

>

> 2 months ago a guy walked up to our front door on

> a Saturday at 11am, crowbarred the door and walked

> in.

>

> We now have 3 front door locks, locked all the

> time, CCTV and a burglar alarm. I don't sleep well

> and I'm constantly wondering what next. It is not

> safe to live here and the Police do nothing

> visible to deter criminals.

Sorry to hear this. Your experiences sound dreadful but I would hate to think our road sounds like the epicentre of crime in the area. We have lived here since the 70's and there have been a few incidents but we have never felt unsafe.

• 3 months later...

I have the whole thing on CCTV and have got the bike back now as it had a Tracker fitted.

They drove around for 20 minutes stopping for 2-3 minutes at a time to work on the locks.

In total they spent about 4-5 minutes actually stealing it. I will post the CCTV on YouTube when I work out how.

It is shocking how relaxed they are.

I've put up two pics from the screen. Police reckon they know them and they should catch them.

Is it true that the police advise unfortunate victims of bike and car thefts not to drive the vehicles if they manage to retrieve them? In case they've been tampered with?

So sorry to hear of all these thefts, can't remember the last time I saw a cop on the beat.

They told me not to touch it because they had to fingerprint and swab for DNA. Luckily they got this done before the rain started. They said most of the time bikes are parked up for 48 hours to make sure they don't have Trackers fitted (mine did hence I found it immediately in a council estate in Deptford).

The Police say 9/10 times they steal them to use in muggings or street robbery. After a day or two they never touch them again as they're too hot.

I am the original poster of this thread and have some info that may be useful. Husband walking dog recently around 10pm and sees 3 motorcyclists riding on Landcroft Road who then stop to confer together before observing him looking at them and riding off. He is fairly convinced they were the same group that we saw and challenged back in September when they stole a neighbour's bike. It may well be that they were casing the area again. He did not catch the numberplates but one had a metallic red helmet and one other had what looked looked like a black and white one. Of course they may just be innocent riders but something in their behaviour unsettled him and reminded him of those same males.