Cleaner, Greener, Safer funding ideas and application

James Barber

Over a decade ago we introduce a capital and revenue devolved funding stream.

The deadline for applications is Monday 9 November.

You can apply on line here - http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200256/cleaner_greener_safer/1554/applications

What do you think we need to improve in the area?

We have around ?88,000 for capital investment and ?30,000 for revenue projects for East Dulwich ward. Each ward received similar.

I've submitted applications for things like:

- Crime Prevention kit for homes and businesses

- More street trees (where residents want them)

- Fixing junction of Lordship Lane with East Dulwich Grove

- Improving the frontage to our local refugee hostel Barry House

If you have an idea but need any help - please get in touch.

Please post on this thread how you think we can make East Dulwich Special

How about some attractive green planting or attractive fencing to screen the really ugly area behind the back of Londis (bins/electricity substation/barbed wire/metal fencing etc)? It's right at the entrance to North Cross Road market and I always think it looks so uninviting and grim.

Also I don't know if this sort of thing would fall within the CGS remit but is there anything that can be done to improve the frontage of that derelict Chinese/fish and chip shop on the corner of Whateley Road and Landcroft Road (Golden City)? It's now covered in graffiti, some of it not particularly suitable for the primary school about to open opposite!

Hi bonaome,

We can't use capital funds to employ people - but we have bought a mechanical street cleaning machine using capital. I think I've spotted an even better one with what looks like a big hoover thingy on it to get between car tyres and will be asking for a demo of one. Interested in taking part? If it works we could apply for funds for one to further mechanise our street cleaning.

Hi Jacqui5254,

WE also get some devolved funding for highway repairs and renewals ?33,333 each year. So lets put that spot for that money. Any others you (or anyone else) thinks should be a priority?

My thinking is Lordship Lane as it has such huge footfall.

Hi redjam,

We've funded some pavement improvement there and fencing. The shop has agreed to take part in this. I need to see where we are with this. Thanks or the prod.

Hi kfrod,

Love those. Are you going to apply for this and put me as a supporter please. Perhaps worthing asking if you could channel the money for this via the local South outwork Business Association - it would happen much quicker than via council officials with the hundreds of project thy have on the go at any one point.

If you need any help please prod me. It would look lovely in my opinion.

Sorry to be a wet blanket but I'm not sure how LED lights meets the CGS criteria.

? Ideas for cleaner: bin storage, schemes to deter fly tipping, designing out grotspots.

? Ideas for greener: tree and flower planting, community gardens, wildlife areas.

? Ideas for safer: lighting, fencing, bicycle storage to prevent theft.

Yes lighting meets the safer criteria but adding lighting to street trees where street lights already exist is not really within the spirit of the rules IMO.

Greener: solar-powered; safer: light in the shadows cast by trees. Something like that. And like planters and hanging baskets in the summer, they just look nice. France and Germany have been doing this for years, and the Southbank is lit all year round.

How about a twice-yearly attack at weeds and overgrowing trees/bushes. Perhaps this is meant to happen already, but, in my experience, it does not happen as much as it should.

Don't like the lights idea, but a few extra around Christmas and New Year would be good.

Like the idea of fenching off the back of Londis.

I've had some ideas too, but would need help/expertise from others to develop them:

- bike hangars on street like other London boroughs offer. Especially in higher density areas with flats etc.

- lit parks at night to allow people to exercise for free in the winter. For example could part of Peckham Rye common, Burgess Park or Dulwich Park have a lit area to allow peole to run, play football, etc? With public health issues this seems like a no brainer.

- Food/garden waste or composting scheme for estates- I live on Dawson Heights and Southwark doesn't offer their food waste collection service, but there could be a small compost heap on the corner of the estate bordering the nature reserve. Southern Housing will never do it on their own, but they might contribute some funding/be supportive, as ultimately it would reduce rubbish collection demands potentially.

Let me know if you want to discuss any further!

Bike Hangers were approved as part of the last CGS round but no reason why you can't have more.

http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s54789/Dulwich%20Bike%20Hangars%20CC%20Report.pdf

As regards food waste - it might be worth consider requesting a few hot bins. If used properly these are supposed to break down all types of food waste not just vegetable matter.

http://www.hotbincomposting.com/

This is down in College Ward but - can we get some better pedestrian crossings on Dulwich Wood Park / College Road? Couple of Zebras or push button crossings near Lymer Ave & Kingswood Drive would be nice.

The junction at the top of College Road is pretty rotten for pedestrians too - multi stage crossings, wide flared entry/exit and sheep pens galore. Probably too expensive to fix for a CGS bid though.

Could we please have better lighting along Champion Hill and the Champion Hill estate walking down towards Sainsburys? Lots of us walk from Denmark Hill Station down towards ED, cutting through the estate and the lighting is really poor when it is dark!