East Dulwich to Lewisham

edcase

Once in a while I drive from ED to Lewisham during the early evening. I usually go through Honor Oak and Ladywell, which was fine up until a year or so ago, but now the traffic build-up on Honor Oak Park and Ladywell Road is so bad that that what was once a 20 minute journey is taking 45.

Does anyone else do this journey on weekday evenings and, if so, have you settled on a better route?

Thanks.

A bit of lateral thinking - the train from Peckham Rye to Lewisham is quick, if that's an option for you?

Otherwise, if you really need to drive then you could try Nunhead/Drakefell Rd/Brockley then negotiate the residential roads through to Lewisham. But then the Brockley "double roundabout" can get very busy too..

Thanks for the advice. Take your point about the new redevelopment, Ratty. I suppose every route into Lewisham is chokka at the moment.

If it gets any worse I'll use the train but it's just so convenient to have the car for the journey back home!

Coming back to Dulwich from Lewisham by bus is actually easier and quicker than going from Dulwich to Lewisham as you can take whichever bus comes first. You can catch the 185 bus, the 484 or the P4 (changing buses opposite the Horniman Museum in this case if necessary) or the 122, changing buses at Forest Hill station.