East Dulwich Pool (Fusion Gym)

bri

Was in there this afternoon to use the adult lanes. Been using the pool now for about 6 months. It's a shame no cash is pumped into it as it could be a real classic place. However today I felt the need to complain to the guy on the main desk. The pool is disgusting, plasters and a whole manner of rubbish floating round the bottom. Also there is a layer of brown scum on the bottom particulary round the sides and the deep end.

Whilst it was closed due to strom damage (I think it was 2 months to fix the roof, typical council) I used Brixton Rec. The pool there is light years ahead of East Dulwich.

Does anyone else use this pool and what are your thoughts on it. If people complained a bit more about the state of the place then it might improve.

I doubt complaining to the people working there on rubbish money will do anything... Direct to the council might be more effective..... Then again, we are talking Southwark here.... 3 star council my backside :-S

I had to look after a girl on fri who'd cut her toe's on broken tiles on the bottom of the pool - I had to agree with her mum who commented that things like that should have been sorted out during its closure.

I used the pool regularly last year but always found it really busy during lane swimming, the last few wks I've discovered Peckham Pulse which while not perfect is bigger and less busy.

East Dulwich pool is lovely but needs a proper makeover rather than a make-do.

ahhh, the pool, one of my favourite topics. I believe the leisure centre's been awarded ?5 million to be done up however don't expect that to be pumped into it in the next year, you can read about it on Cllr Richard Thomas's website. It's great that it's got the investment but the cynic in me says we're going to have to wait a year for lot's of people to decide what needs to be done (and charge lots of money for their decisions) then start the refurbishment only to find out that the costs have gone up within a year so there will be a need for more money etc etc.

Dulwich Baths is the biggest disappointment in the area. I used the pool when i was pregnant but had to relocate to the LA Fitness pool when i saw excrement floating on top of the water. I complained - noone seemed that fussed. I also complained (pregnancy hormones) that they didn't hold any antenatal exercise classes as i had to pay lots to use private ones. I think Mark you are right the council will not deliver any immediate changes. As per usual if it were a private enterprise they would have this turned around super quick. It is a real shame for local residents, especially the children, that this doesn't work out better. Is there anyone we can harangue?

Why don't you all get on the wait list for Jags, by North Dulwich station.I waited for a short while. It beats wading through plasters and floating poo....I think I'm going to be sick...There are alot of pools in the area. Some are private. You just have to know where to look for them...say no more

there is also the the 50m pool (one of the very few in the country!)down at Crystal palace if you are serious about swimming. I used to use it quite a bit.

Only thing that used to put me off about that pool was the long and cold walk from the mens changing room to the pool itself. The pool was quite cold also, but you soon get used to it.

Anyone been down there lately? - has it improved? The mens showers weren't particularly great a couple of years ago!

The council have announced a ?5M redevelopment of the east dulwich pool. see this link

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/Public/NewsArticle.aspx?articleId=21458

I remember this being the ED Lib Dems big policy in the local elections. ED voted for 3 Lib Dem councillors and seems we've got a bunch of money to be spent on our pool. Could this be a case of " local councilor in promise delivery shock"!

Not sure when the work starts, perhaps they've been waiting until the peckham pool was re-opened

I used to go to Crystal Palace pool regularly and it is fantastic especially in the middle of the day. Me and my two fellow swimmers had the place to ourselves. I remember when I was a little kid watching the great Mark Spitz doing amazing dives off of the top board. Havent been for a good year though.

Have to tell you all that Peckham Pulse pool has reopened! At the moment the water and the changing rooms are very clean. Went there yesterday for 'Jelliebabies' session with the little one in the hydrotherapy pool. It was great, and very reasonable, and little mumra especially loved the bubbles! Also, have heard Crystal palace is closing for refit.

• 1 year later...
The Crystal Palace Stadium pool has been closed for a refurb for a while now. I think it is eaither open or opening very soon. Join Crystal Palace Triathletes. ?4 for a coached swim session and there's three a week one in West Norwood, one at Dulwich College and another. All standards and ages welcome! Check us out here CPT

er .... "there is also the the 50m pool (one of the very few in the country!)down at Crystal palace if you are serious about swimming. I used to use it quite a bit."

not that much then as the pool has been closed for nearly 2years, it an absolute joke, its has been delayed and delayed and delayed. AS for ED baths it can get in line, as it the olympics you woudl have thought they woudl have thrown everything they had to get the palace 50m pool up and running, there are serious swimmers traveling up to Birmingham to swim. It just shows what a joke this country is when it comes to actually providing things for the citizens of this country who pay a living fortune in Taxes. They are quick enough to take money off you or get profit making schemes up and running, no wonder chris Hoy wanted absolutely FA to do with any political party after winning his medals. They would have buldozed herne hill track years ago if it was not for a group of dedicated individuals keeping it open. Up go the new mayoral offices on the thames within 2 years but they can not pay for the adequate number of staff to get the palace 50m pool open in 2 years, its a fucking discrace. I was told by a site foreman that if they had the man power it could have could have been completed within 4-5months

Sandperson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Crystal Palace Stadium pool has been closed

> for a refurb for a while now. I think it is

> eaither open or opening very soon. Join Crystal

> Palace Triathletes. ?4 for a coached swim session

> and there's three a week one in West Norwood, one

> at Dulwich College and another. All standards and

> ages welcome! Check us out here CPT

Are you sure all ages and standards welcome? I swim 2 miles a week currently but looking at your website they all look like hard core atheletes!

I went to the CPT swim training last Friday and I'm going again tomorrow. There are some hardcore types, and there are some more normal folk like me. It was a very good swim, a bit of variety, drills, using floats etc... I can never be arsed to do that on my own. Being a normal swimmer was fine, nobody laughed in my face!

come on Ladygooner I'll see you there maybe?

Allfornun wrote:-It just shows what a joke this country is when it comes to actually providing things for the citizens of this country who pay a living fortune in Taxes.

If I remember correctly much of the refurb is being paid for by lottery cash.

So why don't they get on with it?

I went to ED Pool on Friday for the first time -- I love it, I hope they don't refurb it soon, I like the old-fashionedness, not many pools like this anymore. Was it a school once? I love the fact you have to walk down a very long corridor passed offices with non-descript people typing stuff. very macabre :) It's fab :)