Dog Walkers and Know It All's

dmac_1000

I don't even...

This morning, walking down Barry Road towards Peckham Park,

A lady walked past me with one dog, and another dog following about 20 paces

behind. As I approached the second dog, it stopped and decided to take a crap.

Fair enough, I called out to the lady to let her know > and I was immediately called

"A know it all"

She walked back towards me and continued to berate me about being a know it all.

I just continued to point out that her dog had taken a shit on the side walk and

that she could/should pick it up.

She didn't - walked off thinking she was proving a point.

Only thing she proved was that there are a select few in the community

who make all dog owners look bad.

Maybe she doesn't like Americanisms! (take vs have).

She sounds a right charmer, so good on your for challenging her. Take a pic, threaten to send it to the local purveyor of the best in "know it alls" - EDF! Sometimes you just have to do your best and accept that it's not always good enough and don't let it stop you from doing your best again.

holloway Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think most people would've waited to see if the

> dog walker walked on by or picked up the offending

> article before saying something. Perhaps she had

> every intention of being responsible and clearing

> up.

If you read the post properly you'll see that she had already 'walked on by' as the dog was behind her. Presumably that's why the OP called to her???

HP (and sometimes a general 'know it all').

Dulwichdarling Wrote:

> So what will posting this achieve?

It's reinforcing the social stigma against leaving dog logs lying around.

If no-one makes a fuss about it, dog owners who would rather not have to hold their breath and feel the unpleasant, still-warm dump through a plastic bag (or if you're squeamish like me, the triple-bag scoop), then they may well not bother. But if there's some stigma and embarrassment attached to being someone who doesn't clear up, like being thought of as an "irresponsible dog owner", then that social pressure leads to cleaner streets.

No-one is going to thank you for telling them what you think of their revolting and anti-social sowing of stools, but they will nonetheless find the encounter unpleasant and with some people that will make them mend their ways.

Having said that, I half expect that one day I'll get a thump for pointing out things like this (and littering) to strangers. So take care who you wind up ;)

You should've scooped up the turd and lobbed it at the back of her head. Get that brown poo in her lovely hair and it won't just be her ideas that she soon picks up. I think it was Pavlov who said, "Every time I eat dog food, I get this terrible ringing sound in my ears".

Anyway, bring on the flying faeces, that's what I say! Let's turn Peckham Rye into a hazel warzone.

peckham_ryu Wrote:

> Dulwichdarling Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > So what will posting this achieve?

>

> It's reinforcing the social stigma against leaving

> dog logs lying around.

>

> If no-one makes a fuss about it, dog owners who

> would rather not have to hold their breath and

> feel the unpleasant, still-warm dump through a

> plastic bag (or if you're squeamish like me, the

> triple-bag scoop), then they may well not bother.

> But if there's some stigma and embarrassment

> attached to being someone who doesn't clear up,

> like being thought of as an "irresponsible dog

> owner", then that social pressure leads to cleaner

> streets.

>

> No-one is going to thank you for telling them what

> you think of their revolting and anti-social

> sowing of stools, but they will nonetheless find

> the encounter unpleasant and with some people that

> will make them mend their ways.

>

> Having said that, I half expect that one day I'll

> get a thump for pointing out things like this (and

> littering) to strangers. So take care who you wind

> up ;)

Well done. At least a few of us on here understand what was the initial intention of dmac_1000.

Dmac...you done the right thing. I just wish there were more of us in society who actually took an interest in our surroundings and attempt to target the antisocial behaviour displayed by the trash!!