Lynne Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A man knocked on my door this morning saying

> something about he was unemployed and would I give

> him some money. A bit disconcerting if you're by

> yourself

I now say begging demeans you.

But it doesn't stop them.

The dodgy duster sellers were on my road (which backs onto Upland Rd) that day and as I walked back to work around lunchtime, I saw them in front of me. They didn't knock at any of the 15 doors on Underhill rd and went straight to Upland Rd and started knocking on selected doors on Upland Rd- I called 101 as I thought it was strange behaviour!

The Duster Sellers act as being self motivated but they all seem to have the same trays of goods

having been pre prepared for them.. I'm not sure they themselves get very much money from their efforts..

It seems like a 'Fagin' style set up to me.. 'My Dear.. '

I have bought the Yellow Dusters in the past and they are very poor quality...

DulwichFox

Yes, they all have a very similar "I've been down on my luck, this is my way to get back into work, I've got 5 year old twins" spiel. Call me cold hearted, but I don't believe a word of it. Their blokey banter turns into aggression very quickly when they realise you're not buying.

It was unusual to have them turn up in the middle of the day, they do usually come late at night.

lol.I had a guy knock on my door the other evening, it wasn't as late as 9 though & I wouldn't have normally opened the door but I was expecting a parcel delivery so I got a bit of a surprise! He only managed to say he was from Green Peace when I said 'no thanks' & closed the door on him lol. I always say 'no thanks'.Its my default reply to all unwanted visitors.Short & sweet & works a treat!

The 'duster sellers' are often in the control of a gangmaster who will be supplying them out of a van. The quality of the goods is invariably poor and their stories (and the proffered 'ID') effectively fake. What is true is that they are poor - what is not true is that any money you give them will be theirs. The gangmasters take it. Better give to (genuine) Big Issue sellers if you want to support the homeless/ poor.

My other half bought something from the duster seller the other day. He told my OH he'd just got out of prison and couldn't get a job... Is it really just a scam? We felt really sorry for the guy. He was clean cut, young, English..? Seems an odd guy to be slaving under a 'gang master?'