Apples going free/denied.

philma

I have noticed a heavily laden apple tree on Troy Town and have acquired permission to pick them from the

builder who will soon chop the tree down (grr..) to pave over the garden.

Anyone fancy joining me? There's hundreds!

Oh, about apples; another tree heaving with tasty morsels has been denied picking. The tree leans over the pavement.

Am I still able to take these ones? It would be quite rude because it's in view of the windows.

The owner wanted them all to himself but I think they'll fall and rot in the road. Shame.

Some council trees have apples but they're not eaters. I think though that the many trees in fruit at the moment could provide an excellent food source to be shared and enjoyed amongst the locals. I've amassed boxes so far and have been giving them to friends.

A lot of the trees planted up and down the streets some years (10 or more) back are edible as jellies and jams and chutneys. North Cross at Lordship Lane is an example: looks like tiny pears, cook them with sugar and enjoy. Everywhere tiny "apples" the same. Right now there's fruit everywhere that will rot over the next month and then the street cleaners will complain and eventually when people look elsewhere it will all be chopped down.

So glad someone is doing this. Silvester Road is also heaving with crabapples. I've preserved what I could reach in a spiced sugar syrup (will happily share recipe, they are delicious, very good with icecream), but there are still loads left I can't get at, and they are dropping in huge piles. The windfalls are too much of a mess to use, I think, but someone with a ladder could have rich pickings. Can't bear seeing them all go to waste, even though they aren't edible off the tree, they do also make good jams, fruit butters and jellies.

I'll ask about the wood. I'm Sure you can have it.

Hopefully popping across with a ladder on Wednesday.

Anyone else interested, go help yourself. You can definitely get loads from roadside without entering property. (With a ladder)

Builders seem uninterested anyway.

It used to be called 'Scrumping'

I posted in my gardening tips, if anyone is unable to make use of their fruits in their garden, please share them with your neighbours or post their availability on here. As a community, its the least we can do to share the delights of our gardens. If not, then resort to scrumping!!!