Possible closure of Carnegie Library...

AnnieT

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone has heard about this, but there are plans being discussed by Lambeth Council to turn Carnegie Library into a 'Healthy Living Centre'- ie. A gym. Obviously the council are being forced to make cuts but libraries are essential.

Anyway, I won't rant but anyone who may be interested might want to sign this petition:

http://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?id=379&TPID=27170282

Many thanks

Basically Lambeth plan to remove all funding for Carnegie as a library and lease the building as a commercial gym to Greenwich Leisure. They have specified that there should be a "small selection of books available in a lounge area" but there will no functioning library or staff on the site.

If you'd like to read more details here is a good link: http://indulwich.co.uk/

And the petition (not just for Lambeth residents to sign as it states) to save this wonderful library is here:

http://moderngov.lambeth.gov.uk/mgEPetitionDisplay.aspx?id=379

Not good at all. I thought the library had an overhaul a little while ago? Especially the children's library with lots of new mats and little tables and chairs and art activities?

My youngest is 17 tomorrow and wanted something called a kindle?

Let's just hope The Carnegie can keep going for the sake of the local community and beyond!

Something came up on my facebook about this. It seems to be affecting the closure of three libraries, not just the Carnegie and I believe there was a public meeting last night?

Every time I go into Peckham Library with my kids, every available study space, table is occupied, often with young people, for some of whom the library is probably the only quiet space they have to do homework. Every computer is always in use. Libraries are vitally important for many people.

Typical- the Tories get in and the Labour councils withdraw the front line services to make the biggest impact instead of cutting admin staff....typical political football behaviour...shame on them! Happens every time- used to affect schools a lot but now the councils do not have the absolute power (and hooray for that)