Traffic jams around Red Post Hill/East Dulwich Grove

This may be a topic being discussed elsewhere, but I couldn't find appropriate thread on Forum (can anyone direct me to it?).

I sit in traffic for 20-30 minutes trying to just get through the lights on Red Post Hill crossing East Dulwich Rd.

I'm assuming the lights sequencing has been altered to give pedestrians more time to cross, but it's causing chaos.

Does anyone have any info on what's happening here and who to contact to get it sorted?

I think you should post this to the Townley thread also. The road development at Townley has had some new traffic light funationality which links it to this junction. I am not sure it is fully operational but it is intended to be. That may be the cause. The other development is the closure of Loughborough Junction which is throwing traffic and causing congestion in many adjacent areas areas.

Ive just 'nipped' down to kings road- used to be tWenty minute drive and afternoon free parking. Chaos at half moon/Herne Hill junction with cars from Herne Hill coming through on a green light immedately stopped on a red at the bridge,and blocking Half Moon Lane traffic when they have a green so no one got through for two light changes. Then coming down to junction of Brixton amd Acre lane again, traffic from right blocking all traffic on brixton hill so couldn't move heading north on your green light unless you risked the yellow box. Then at Battersea Park/chelsea Bridge roundabout- which used to,function very smoothly with no traffic lights, new traffic lights made light traffic queue for no reason and caused congestion. Why?

Councils want to cock up traffic flows so they can bring in more and more control.

It also does not help that young and thrusting graduates with throbbing red felt pens need to make their mark for saving the planet and introduce the theory that they have learnt from books.

Why did we never have this mass balls up before?

@Woodwarde Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think you should post this to the Townley thread

> also. The road development at Townley has had

> some new traffic light funationality which links

> it to this junction. I am not sure it is fully

> operational but it is intended to be. That may be

> the cause.

This may be the traffic from Village Way unexpectedly "getting stuck" in the yellow box caused by a sudden back-up in East Dulwich Grove as a result of the new Townley Road junction.

Richard Tudour,

Until I scanned S'wark Labour's recent 2015 cycling strategy doc, I would have treated your view with some caution, but now find you are correct. The Council is deliberately planning to make car ownership as difficult as it possibly can and in 5 years wants us all to walk or cycle. The key phrases, and I quote, are they will either "calm" or "design out" cars/traffic on residential streets as well as remove parking on any main roads ( extensive double yellow lines then). Of course, they wnat to ensure that these changes cannot be undone so this explains the unseemly haste with which a host of yellow lines, proposed road blocks, changes to routes, rearranging kerbs, 20 mph, etc, etc are suddenly appearing.

The greatest scandal of all is that they say we have been extensively consulted on this and agreed to it. If that were so, we would not have the plethora of threads on the subject as residents slowly wake and smell the coffee.

Is it not high time that our elected representatives stood up to the frenzied and hugely expensive cycling lobby? 99% of us do not own bicycles, have no wish to own them and do not want to ride them. I have one but find it dirty in use,eminently vulnerable to theft, inherently dangerous and totally impractical in our rainy climate. The craze will die and we shall be left with miles of daft, unused cycle lanes. We shall then doubtless be urged to save the planet by visiting Sainsbury's on donkeys.

Look, folks, face the facts!

London's population is growing fast - it will be close to 10 million in the next few years.

London's roads are not capable of infinite expansion.

Already air pollution from motor vehicles is at impossibly high levels, leading to thousands of deaths each year.

What is the answer? Clearly, to discourage motor transport as much as possible, and encourage walking, cycling and public transport.

THIS is the reason that these changes are being brought forward.

Stop burying your head in the sand - you can use your car for driving out from your home into the country, or use a zip car.

Get yourself a bicycle and use these routes when they are up and running.

I live in Kennington (Lambeth) but have to drive 2 return trips in and out of Southwark every day. Wheteher in Lambeth or Southwark, it now takes me at least an hour to drive anywhere - and that includes the weekly trip to load up at the 'local' Sainsbury's (1 mile away). I do ride a bike and appreciate what they are trying to do for cycling safety, but this is going too far. They are turning London into a 3rd world capital of gridlocked traffic jams spewing out fumes. Even the busses can't get through.

It's completely impractical to run a normal life of transporting kids (and neighbours kids) to/from school, friends houses, clubs etc and get yourself to/from work, all on bikes, busses, trains and tubes. I even have some sympathy for white-van-man. Waiting in for a delivery/workman now means taking the whole day off.

Is there a London traffic campaign one can join, that coordinates and feeds back Borough campaigns?

You are missing the point, maxwelland. Reread my first three points:

London's population is growing fast - it will be close to 10 million in the next few years.

London's roads are not capable of infinite expansion.

Already air pollution from motor vehicles is at impossibly high levels, leading to thousands of deaths each year.

The idea is that children will cycle or walk to school on these safe streets.

Your London campaign idea won't work unless it addresses the above issues.

Which houses would you like to see demolished to cater for the road space that you'll need to continue the lifestyle you unrealistically cherish?

On the car front - we gave ours up two years ago - with a combination of buses, bikes, tubes, trains, and the occasional rented car, life goes on. We have two kids. It is not "completely impractical" -- other ways become the norm and easy quite quickly. To be honest, I expected we would break down and buy a car eventually but we are fine. I know it is not for everyone, but, it is less impossible than you think - I really was daunted by the prospect for sure!

I may be wrong but someone told me that the lights in Village Way/Red Post red light time had been increased by an additional 10 seconds allowing for a 17 second crossing. Same as up near Turney. Definitely noticed the same up at Herne Hill junction. Does seem that this has increased congestion and stressed aggressive driving.

TG, again, no, it is not " encouraging" it is purely punitive and will massively increase levels of resentment and, I suspect, risk taking, creating more danger all round. Stress is also a killer.

This is an attempt to solve a very complex issue with a very simple solution- force as many people as possible to stop using a car by clearly and deliberately making life as difficult and uncomfortable as possible, simpulz. In reality it does not work.

Most of all, there has been no widespread, public consultation on this. That is an astounding fabrication and distortion. It is also sheer madness and folly to force change without overriding public will.

We all have children and young relatives who cycle at every given opportunity, as did many of us at that age...it made financial sense and we were fit enough to do so. But most of these youngsters do not have the same responsibilities that come with age. We do not tend to live in small communities of related, supportive family networks, those responsibilites may require frequent trips well away from home and of the type that might break the bank and brain if only available by public transport. Many of us also have jobs with equipment that cannot be carried in bicycle panniers or carried around on buses etc.., are you suggesting we just find new jobs?

And what about the goods that we all use everyday, the tradesmen we use and the millions of things that are transported by car, van and lorry? How is all of that supposed to happen in the cyclists utopia that people want to create. I'll bet that the councillors at Southwark Council will soon complain if their bog roll delivery can't be made due to it being limited to the amount a bike can carry.

Cyclist utopia? Who's talking about that? It would be nice if we had a "cyclist utopia" like the Dutch cities.

They seem to manage deliveries. Deliveries can be done at night when the roads are empty - no pollution.

Bicycles with large boxes on the front can also deliver, and couriers can be cyclists too.

And you don't seem to have an answer to the fact that London will have two million more people - that is 25% more than today over the next few years.

What happens when they want cars like you do?

Imagine the frustrations and traffic jams and

Are you happy that even more Londoners die each year from vehicle pollution?

Answer those questions please.

Same boat as you, Otto. Works out nicely - especially with Hailo/Uber/etc. for emergencies.

What puzzles me is why those who genuinely need to drive often direct so much of their ire at those who want to cycle, and so little at those who clog up the roads driving short trips for no other reason than selfishness.

wulfhound, I see little ire directed at cyclists, many who drive also cycle when they can. Any ire is directed at Council officials who have conceived this agenda and its execution and who claim widespread public support based on consultation.

I am glad that cycling, uber etc.. works well for you and your family. For others it does not. That is the reality.

On a bike, I experience thankfully little aggro - I'm talking about opposition to the kind of changes that, if done right, will enable many more kids & others outside the usual demographic to make cycling part of their travel mix.

spider69 - in some cases, perhaps. The majority? Call me sceptical.

first mate, these schemes' aims are directed at making cycling easier and safer for those who are too scared to cycle on our present all-too dangerous roads.

Therby making cycling "owrk" as you put it for more and more of us.

I suggest you take a close look at Copenhagen or Amsterdam and how families are able to cycle easily together (or apart) in those people friendly cities.

It would be wonderful if London could be so pleasant.