More Conway (barriers etc left on pavement on Goodrich Road)

Nigello

I reported a "ponding issue" on the pavement on Goodrich Road. It was worked on but the barriers, cones and bits of wood and guttering were left for at least eight days.

I rang the 0330 number provided on the sign attached to a remaining barrier on Wednesday and a (polite, efficient-sounding) man said he'd sort it out.

A Conway man and van arrived the next day, while I was in. The cones and barriers were taken away but not the five-foot pieces of wood, with nails sticking through. Neither were other barriers slightly further down the road taken away, despite the man saying he would look at them after I'd asked him politely to do so and giving him the right location and despite my having done this already in my initial call.

So, I had to ring the 0330 number again and request that the job be finished off. (I do not know whether it has been done yet.)

Cllr Barber also requested the stuff be removed, so perhaps that request got there before mine. Either way, it is not a good result for Conway (though the man on the end of the phone line was good both times I rang).

I spotted the barriers and the debris that had been left on the pavement and in the road earlier in the week. A couple of pavement slabs had been replaced but it looked that during this work other slabs had been cracked and damaged in the process. I asked for the barriers and the debris to be removed. I have asked for the cracked and damaged slabs to be replaced. I will keep an eye open to see if it gets done.

Councillor Charlie Smith

East Dulwich Ward Member

Charlie Smith Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I spotted the barriers and the debris that had

> been left on the pavement and in the road earlier

> in the week. A couple of pavement slabs had been

> replaced but it looked that during this work other

> slabs had been cracked and damaged in the process.

> I asked for the barriers and the debris to be

> removed. I have asked for the cracked and damaged

> slabs to be replaced. I will keep an eye open to

> see if it gets done.

>

> Councillor Charlie Smith

> East Dulwich Ward Member

Get yourself on the cabinate mate.

Council officials organised the removal by Conway materials - it looks like Cllr Charlie Smith and I both asked for this.

They've also removed the flytipped wood - quite possibly from people avoiding the new charges Cllr Charlie Smith and his team have started for bulk waste removal.

Officers had also told me that they've made it clear to Conways that leaving materials for such lengths of time after completing works isn't acceptable - lets see it things improve.

hi spider69,

Of course we speak to each other. But we don't speak about every single piece of casework - I'd never be of the phone!

when people contact us but don't tell us they've contacted all three East Dulwich ward councillors this will occasionally happen.

NB. the Conway machinery left on Upland Road by Crystal Palace Road junction. Officers agree it was parked incorrectly. Conways have been told that even when they're working on private work in Southwark they have to apply by the same H&S rules as when working for Southwark Council.

Which means this inconsiderate unsafe parking shouldn't occur again.

The pile of tarmac and paving rubbish dumped in Langston by Conways over a month ago is still there, blocking across one lane. As Langston has no houses (or voters) fronting on it, and is, I believe, a ward boundary, it doesn't really have a councilor who 'cares' for it, so nobody really bothers. Conways have always used that road either as a dump or somewhere where they can park-up their kit, but this is beginning to get beyond a joke. If the council's own contractors can fly-tip, why would anyone else not just join in?