Forest Hill Road GP practice failings - patients' meeting tomorrow

Hi everyone

I just saw that Forest Hill Road Group Practice are holding a meeting on Thursday 5th at 6:30pm, presuming amid the growing number of complaints they're getting.

If you look at NHS Choices website it does show a picture of what, I unfortunately, also experience. The doctors are fantastic but I think it's become very poorly managed.

Rather than write my own review I am interested in this mediation meeting for all patients. Will anyone join me?

I think you will find this is a regular patient participation meeting - not called specifically in response to 'complaints' (though I am sure these will be addressed) nor a meeting which is offering mediation. I have found occasional processes problems here, normally immediately and effectively addressed; have not had problems getting appointments at appropriate times (I am prepared to wait to see a named doctor on non-emergency issues - i.e. annual medication reviews) and have found their telephone consultation services effective. Maybe I have been lucky (and I have been a patient for nearly 30 years at this practice, and have grown old with the doctors).

OK, yes sounds like you've been lucky. I know from experience that in the past year one is on hold for around 30 minutes, can't get an appointment for at least 4 weeks and the admin staff are prickly which seems like it's the issue which can be most easily rectified.

I'd still be interested to hear if anyone else is planning on attending.

Hi cantthinkofaname

I agree, there definitely has been a decline at the surgery over the years, not so much in the Doctors themselves, one in particular has been constantly outstanding, but there has been a decline in appointment times, a particular attitude with one of the staff behind the counter (which has now been addressed) & another time one of the staff (who has now left) had her feet up on the desk/ counter (unhygienic to say the least) whilst at the same time seeing patients at the front counter.

When I called I had to wait 35- 40 minutes

FHR Practice were do I start - the doctor's on the whole are ok, when I saw one earlier in the year she was fantastic and did everything possible to help and even contacted Guy's for additional clarification. The others IMO are a mixed bunch.

Getting an appointment like others have said can result in waiting a month. If you try you'll be offered a telephone consultation (it's their policy now apparently), once you've negotiated the admin staff (prickly is a way to nice description), who are anything but helpful. Example's trying to see a doctor for an emergency appointment only resulted through consistent badgering, arguing and being assertive; Having dropped in a repeat prescription, even after going to pick it up after two weeks they could not find it and it took a further good twenty mins for them to find it. The final straw was being asked if I had already picked it up, arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

The problem is a total lack of communication skills by the admin staff.

My experiences with this surgery have been shockingly bad. They don't follow NICE guidelines, don't call when they say they will, don't follow up appropriately, fail to update records or send out test results... If I went into full detail, you'd know how appalling they are but for my own confidentiality I don't want to get into my own medical issues.

I can only speak for myself, but my experiences there are also generally good.

The surgery is definitely under pressure from number of patients and the number of urgent appointments being sought (particularly for children who do take priority), but they answer the phones in a reasonable amount of time, the on-line booking app is useful for general appointments if you don't mind waiting a bit and I find the staff generally helpful. Part of the reason I'm posting is I literally just had to phone them up for a nurse's appointment (which you can't do through the app). According to my phone it took me 4m 27s to phone, hold, speak to receptionist and make the appointment which I don't think is bad. The appointment isn't for 2 weeks but again it's not urgent so I don't have an issue with that.

I'm always surprised when I read complaints about the practice. I've been a patient for the last 35 years, and without exception, have always had a superb service. I have never, in all that time, had to wait on the phone for more than 10 minutes, and my call is usually answered within a couple of minutes. In 35 years, I can only remember two instances where I've found the Reception staff to be unhelpful, and on many occasions they have gone very far beyond my expectations in trying to help me.

Whilst it's true that you have to book about three weeks ahead much of the time if you want to see a particular doctor, I have never been unable to get a same day appointment if I've really needed one. Otherwise, if I'm not bothered which doctor I see, I've always been able to get an appointment within a week for non urgent problems. Almost without exception I have always found that the doctors, nurses, and reception staff go out of their way to be kind and helpful. I have always felt very fortunate to be registered with the Forest Hill Road practice.

I've been a patient for 28 years and have always received excellent service. Maybe I've been lucky, but my calls are always answered promptly and I've never had any problem being seen quickly where there's been an urgent need.

I've always found the reception staff to be incredibly friendly and helpful, especially when on the phone. As for the doctors and nurses, I think they are all excellent.

I've recommended the surgery to a number of friends, who have all moved over and been very pleased with the service.

Strange how people's experiences can differ so much!

Both my partner and I have found it very difficult to get appointments at this FHR GP practice, eg struggle to get a through to book an appointment and then have to wait a month.

We have found it so difficult that we simply have given up on seeing a doctor all together or have gone privately.

Not really acceptable

We've been very impressed so far after joining FHR from DMC. My son has been seen on the same day when he was unwell and the doctor was brilliant. I've also used their on-site pharmacist Rachel which stopped me from having to make an appointment just to get a repeat prescription re-ordered. AlL my phone calls have been answered within 5 minutes so it seems to be very variable.

All gp surgeries are now required to offer on line booking of appointments. From what i remember this practice's registration process is not straight forward; but you might as well persist as it will be easier to book an appointment this way then ringing in!

If you have any concerns you should in the 1st instance raise them with the Practice Manager. If your complaint has not been resolved to your satisfaction I would advise writing to the senior partner of the practice. If you are still unhappy you can of course contact Southwark CCG @ Tooley Street

From my experience over last 6 months the situation at FRH is completely unacceptable. Booking an appointment online (for any doctor, any time) means waiting 4 weeks. I have spent 40 minutes on hold to get through to reception while they counted down from 11 callers waiting. Even for a telephone consultation I had to wait over 3 weeks, and though this was recommended by the practise nurse, I had to persuade and justify it to the unhelpful receptionist.

Once you get to see or speak to a doctor or nurse the service is generally fine.

I have been a patient at this practise for 25 years though have reasonable health so use it only occasionally ( average 2-3 times a year?) With a full time job, it has never been easy to get an appointment but this is now ridiculous.

Dodo1 Wrote:> All gp surgeries are now required to offer on line booking of appointments.

I just checked the on line booking for FHR to see whether situation has improved since a few months ago. It seems slightly better but still not good (and if I am wrong about meaning of F2F, much worse!).

Appointments available per web site:

"General Appointments" - "There are currently no general appointments available."

There are other appointment types though it is not always clear who is eligible and there is no explanation. From some googling F2F may mean "face to face". So, assuming these are actually "General" appointments there are currently:

- 29 F2F (ie General?) slots available Nov 26\27

- 50-60 F2F slots available 7-15 Jan 2016

- 14 Special slots in Jan 2016

So, a minimum of 3 weeks wait for an F2F appointment. Better than I experienced earlier in the year but, IMHO, not acceptable and something they need to sort out (along with a clearer web site).

I guess the absence of December appointments is because they have not opened booking but, if so, that is not clear.

Also, their web site claims they have 8 doctors, though only 4 appear on the booking schedules. Where are the others?

slarti b Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There are other appointment types though it is not

> always clear who is eligible and there is no

> explanation. From some googling F2F may mean

> "face to face".

slarti b, you're spot on about F2F - there is an explanation at the top of the screen of the app which says "Routine F2F is a routine/general appointment".

We have been a patients for over 30 years and have always received excellent service. We have never had any problem being seen quickly where there is an urgent need.

We have always found the reception staff to be professional and helpful, As for the doctors and nurses, I think they are first class.

Would always recommended the surgery.

@Sidhue. I had read the notice at top of page but, if you look at it in full it says (complete with capitals and lack of punctuation

"ROUTINE F2F IS A ROUTINE/GENERAL APPOINTMENT WITH A DOCTOR PLEASE DO NOT BOOK COIL FITTINGS...SMEARS OR MEDICAL/INSURANCE REPORTS"...

So, the references to coils and smears initially made me think F2F referred to Female to Female. Certainly don't think it is very clear.

If you can explain what "AM DUTY DOCTOR CONTRIBUTION" or a "Catch Up/Break" appointments are as well that would be great!

Anyway, leaving aside clarity of the web site the issue seems to be be that there is a delay of 3-4 weeks before patients can be seen for a non-urgent appointment. I don't think that is acceptable.

Siduhe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I can only speak for myself, but my experiences

> there are also generally good.

>

> The surgery is definitely under pressure from

> number of patients and the number of urgent

> appointments being sought (particularly for

> children who do take priority), but they answer

> the phones in a reasonable amount of time, the

> on-line booking app is useful for general

> appointments if you don't mind waiting a bit and I

> find the staff generally helpful. Part of the

> reason I'm posting is I literally just had to

> phone them up for a nurse's appointment (which you

> can't do through the app). According to my phone

> it took me 4m 27s to phone, hold, speak to

> receptionist and make the appointment which I

> don't think is bad. The appointment isn't for 2

> weeks but again it's not urgent so I don't have an

> issue with that.

How do you download the app? Sorry if a silly question. Online booking (and cancelling) would surely speed things up.

I think the reception staff have improved in the last few years and can be really helpful. I expect (not with great pleasure) to have to wait 3-4 weeks for an appt but have always managed to get a same day appt for more urgent matters, usually to do with my kids, if not at FHR itself then at the Lister in Peckham.

This is part of the contract that GP surgeries have agreed with the government for this year.

They do have registration forms on the front desk but as i have pointed out it is not straightforward!

You can also have dual registration- that is you can now register at a practice near your place of work.

The app is called "Patient Access" but you need to register for it first before you can use it. There is a link on the front page of the Forest Hill GP site which takes you to this registration page:

https://patient.emisaccess.co.uk/Account/Login?ReturnUrl=%2f

I'm pretty sure I got a letter from the practice giving me all the details I needed to register, so if you don't have this then worth speaking to them first I think.

We've been registered patients of this practice for over 15 years. I'd love to understand why there's been such a significant drop in ratings on the practice. What's changed - less staff, increase in number of registered patients without equal increase of doctors, changes in administrative arrangements, increase in patients with long term conditions or at high risk,increased pressure on services or finances due to government changes or any other factors. Improvement is not possible unless the cause is understood.