IceLand

cb10

Some kind of M&S, it is said.

Above the retail store the developers plan to build two floors of office spaces and then add another, new level, raising the overall build to four stories and here they plan two penthouses.

The developers want to do this, despite in earlier plans being quite clear that there is no call for office space but a great demand for affordable flats. Note they already had permission to build 8 flats on the floors they are now calling office space. But this way, the penthouse, extra floor route,they make the money with less outlay. They then plan to avoid social housing rules by eventually making the offices into flats. Of course this will drag the build out but hey, who cares so long as community minded developers and the retail stores like M&S who work with them to game the planning system, have their pockets full.

Oh and they have also recently put in to build a substation there too.

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yep.. An Iceland but with East Dulwich prices. Tea

> Bags ?4.50 for 12.

>

> That might help some people feel better about

> themselves when shopping there. :)

>

> Foxy

And why would paying ?4.50 for 12 make people feel better Foxx

?

Seabag Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Yep.. An Iceland but with East Dulwich prices.

> Tea

> > Bags ?4.50 for 12.

> >

> > That might help some people feel better about

> > themselves when shopping there. :)

> >

> > Foxy

>

> And why would paying ?4.50 for 12 make people feel

> better Foxx

>

> ?

Because it would take away the Stigma of the '?-Shop image' that some people had about Iceland.

Foxy.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Seabag Wrote:

> -----

> > DulwichFox Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Yep.. An Iceland but with East Dulwich

> prices.

> > Tea

> > > Bags ?4.50 for 12.

> > >

> > > That might help some people feel better

> about

> > > themselves when shopping there. :)

> > >

> > > Foxy

> >

> > And why would paying ?4.50 for 12 make people

> feel

> > better Foxx

> >

> > ?

>

> Because it would take away the Stigma of the

> '?-Shop image' that some people had about

> Iceland.

>

> Foxy.

Righty Ho

I shopped regularly in the Brixton M&S at the time of, indeed on the Saturday of, the Brixton riots. It was then a well-used store. And, that Saturday, still untouched by the riots, which had started the night before, although the rioting on Saturday was more intense. It shows something of our own insecurities that we see M&S as a middle class destination store. It was just a store, in Brixton, way back then (and the go-to place for socks and knickers).

Well... M&S IS more expensive than most other supermarkets, and their advertising obviously attempts to project an upmarket-ish image, so that could explain the "middle class destiation" tag, rather than simply our own perceptions.

Can people afford it? If you can afford a ?1M house then a ?5 curry is hardly going to break the bank.