Missing Post

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone has had any small packages go missing recently.

I've ordered several things from Ebay/Amazon etc that come in small packages that fit through the letterbox. They have all been sent first class and always fail to arrive. Luckily the sellers have re-sent them and they have arrived the 2nd time.

I am aware it could be the sellers not sending them, but there seems to be a consistent pattern, small untracked items don't arrive!

They are all pretty low value items, eg phone chargers/cases etc. I am near ED station.

Recorded delivery items always arrive, just wondered if the post-person is pinching them? It's happened about 5 times now, all from different sellers/retailers.

We had a card through the door on Wednesday stating that a small parcel we were waiting for had been taken to the delivery office. My husband went to collect it the next day and was told they couldn't find it. I rang customer services today and they are now investigating but it takes three working days. Sound similar to your problem.

It's happened to me three times this year, royal mail leaving notes to say something has been left at the sorting office but then when I go to pick it up, it can't be found.

Hugely annoying - my local sorting office is the Forest Hill one though. I've started having things delivered to work instead and that seems to be a lot better. No confidence in local post services.

Here's a link explaining how to make a complaint

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/how-do-I-make-a-complaint

If Royal Mail receive complaints of missing mail which indicate a pattern, eg mail associated with a particular delivery office, they will investigate.

They have a dedicated investigation department for things like this - and postmen/women do get caught, and do get prosecuted (as well as sacked .....)

The Royal Mail staff newspaper Courier names and shames every so often, presumably to discourage others.

But they can do nothing unless they have the information about the missing mail in the first place. And for obvious reasons, better to report it centrally even if you have already told somebody at the relevant delivery office.

Forest hill delivery service and sorting office (covering a wide area) have had a lot of changes recently which have been detrimental in terms of service. I get a delivery about 2/3 times a week now and have visited the sorting office much more than I ever used to. Good luck

of course the post person pinched it,thats why they go to work every day to pinch 50p phone cases from china.after he gets 3 months prison for theft loses his 25-35 grand salary his 5 grand shares pension and criminal record for life. he can sit in his cell knowing that the 25p he got for the phone case is stashed away for when he gets out.

mia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> of course the post person pinched it,thats why

> they go to work every day to pinch 50p phone cases

> from china.after he gets 3 months prison for theft

> loses his 25-35 grand salary his 5 grand shares

> pension and criminal record for life. he can sit

> in his cell knowing that the 25p he got for the

> phone case is stashed away for when he gets out.

Obviously not every missing item is theft.

However if a pattern of missing items is identified, it may well be due to theft.

Somebody would have to open an item to find out what was in it, and once it was opened they would have to close it again without making it obvious it had been opened, so they may well just dispose of it.

And sorry, but theft from the post does happen, whether or not you prefer to think it doesn't. Obviously the vast majority of postmen and women are honest, but as in any job, a few are not.

that's good to hear - sometimes the explanation is the simplest.

I don't know if I haven't received anything to my home - everything I've ordered online has arrived, as has everything boring....so the only gap would be things I was not expecting anyway...

If I order anything from ebay, I ask for the seller to post 'recorde-signed for' which is really cheap but means the package is trackable.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> " he'd been on holiday and no one had covered his

> shift."

>

> Blimey ,that's a bit radical .Surely not the norm

> that a route isn't covered when a postman goes on

> holiday ???????

Certainly didn't used to be. Maybe things have changed since privatisation.

Seems very odd to me, particularly since Royal Mail go to some lengths to check on quality of service (ie that items are being delivered within the advertised time for the value of stamp used).

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

> " he'd been on holiday and no one had covered his

> shift."

>

> Blimey ,that's a bit radical .Surely not the norm

> that a route isn't covered when a postman goes on

> holiday ???????

Maybe the banks ought to run this type of system.

or the busses - trains already do ;)

We had a similar problem with our deliveries a number of months ago - holiday and sickness had left the sorting office with too few staff to provide cover for all the walks. Even in the best run firms this does happen on occasion. Normally the sorting office is very helpful in finding undelivered mail - Sylvester Road certainly is - and is open till late on Wednesdays for those working.

Although the PO used to use casual relief staff more I am quite glad they now don't - A number of years ago I recall seeing two 'relief' posties meeting and holding envelopes up to the light to see what was in them - they hadn't realised I happened to be looking out of a front window at the time. Around that time I had a cheque book stolen 'in the post'.