leaves swallowing machine disturbing early sleepers

buddug

I awoke at 6.00am to sound of alien aircraft hovering over house. Turned out to be a leaf-swallowing machine making its slow journey up Oglander and Everthorpe Roads. I went out in my pyjamas to confront the miscreant. Poor chap was so embarrassed and rang his boss, Guy Slater, at Southwark Council. He was then ordered to stop. So I went back to bed and managed to get another hour's sleep. Did anyone else hear this? Do complain. It's nuts.

Do feel for you! Living next door to a park we get the same thing and the blokes are wearing big earmuffs so they're oblivious to anything going on around them but at 7.30am on a weekend it's a bit annoying.

Then again, why do the Police have to put their sirens on in a quiet residential area at 1, 2, 3, 4, 5am in the morning when coming through the area?

I assume the early start on leaf clearance would benefit those going to work/ school in the morning who thus avoid the perils of wet slippery leaves and hidden obstacles previously complained about on this forum. If I was the official in charge of leaf clearance, with complaints being urged on this forum to complain if it isn't, or if it is, being done, I'd probably think - well what I would think is rude.

But it is a problem.

It's hard to walk down the pavement with all the leaves.

Can we contact the council & get them to cut all them trees down or all the branches off so we don't have all the leaves on the floor?

Can James Barber do this?

You've hit the nail on the head, Dulwich Fox by mentioning aircraft! I used to be woken by Concorde flying over as I didn't have double glazing in those days. But now and again I'd get up specially to wait for it in my garden - it was so beautiful to watch. Now, the planes flying over don't wake me at all, though I know it does some. But this noise - I can't begin to describe it. It was 20 times the noise of a plane - the decibel levels were equivalent to a helicopter landing on my roof.

Of course the leaves have to be swept, I'm not saying they shouldn't be - but at 6am!! I've never known the council to do this before, so it happens hardly ever anyway. Why not do it later in the morning or in the afternoon if it's such a rare occurrence? And why did they leave it so long so that the leaves had piled up everywhere?

And the poor man driving the truck just laughed sheepishly and kept saying: "I know, I know". He too knew it was ridiculous, and that's why he rang his boss. Call me over-sensitive and scream 'first-world problems', but I don't think any of you would have been best pleased either to be woken at 6am and then have to stagger through your workday feeling like a wrung-out dishcloth. Is all. I'm not talking avocados here ;)

buddug Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You've hit the nail on the head, Dulwich Fox by

> mentioning aircraft! I used to be woken by

> Concorde flying over as I didn't have double

> glazing in those days. But now and again I'd get

> up specially to wait for it in my garden - it was

> so beautiful to watch. Now, the planes flying over

> don't wake me at all, though I know it does some.

> But this noise - I can't begin to describe it. It

> was 20 times the noise of a plane - the decibel

> levels were equivalent to a helicopter landing on

> my roof.

>

> Of course the leaves have to be swept, I'm not

> saying they shouldn't be - but at 6am!! I've never

> known the council to do this before, so it happens

> hardly ever anyway. Why not do it later in the

> morning or in the afternoon if it's such a rare

> occurrence? And why did they leave it so long so

> that the leaves had piled up everywhere?

>

> And the poor man driving the truck just laughed

> sheepishly and kept saying: "I know, I know". He

> too knew it was ridiculous, and that's why he rang

> his boss. Call me over-sensitive and scream

> 'first-world problems', but I don't think any of

> you would have been best pleased either to be

> woken at 6am and then have to stagger through your

> workday feeling like a wrung-out dishcloth. Is

> all. I'm not talking avocados here ;)

Concorde used to fly over about 5.30pm most days, never saw/heard it in the mornings!

You missed a trick, Lady Norwood! It was so beautiful. In fact, I was lucky enough to be working in Canary Wharf tower when it did its lap of honour on its last day. All of us workers had our noses pressed against the windows with tears rolling down our cheeks!

buddug Wrote:

> You missed a trick, Lady Norwood! It was so

> beautiful. In fact, I was lucky enough to be

> working in Canary Wharf tower when it did its lap

> of honour on its last day. All of us workers had

> our noses pressed against the windows with tears

> rolling down our cheeks!

I was on the London Eye and we were at the very top as it went over, thought we'd missed it and suddenly there was this enormous roar as it flew over - the South Bank was packed with people dancing, drinking champagne. It was a very special day - I was with my best friend and her wheelchair-bound mother, we all had the best time.... I used to stop every afternoon and go out in the garden and wave at Concorde, ridiculous, but it made my heart sing... There's one parked at the old Terminal 1 at Heathrow - it's still beautiful to this day...

I once flew back from Malaga to Gatwick but was diverted to Birmingham due to fog..

We parked up next to Concorde. So good view. It was tiny. maybe also on divert..

Delay at Malaga . Then fog..Gatwick Then a further delay on eventual landing back at Gatwick due to

Saudi Prince demanding clear air space.. Malaga - Gatwick 7 hour trip.

Foxy..

rabbitears Wrote:

> minder Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > why do the Police have to put their

> > sirens on in a quiet residential area at 1, 2,

> 3,

> > 4, 5am in the morning when coming through the

> > area?

>

> ??? Why do you think?

To get doughnuts?

Funny you should say that, Dulwich Fox. I also once saw Concorde parked on the tarmac. I think it was at Gatwick, I really can't remember. But I, too, was struck by how tiny it was! In the air it looked glorious! And I'm proud to say my uncle was one of the engineers working on it before its test flights - he was a professor at Cardiff university ? in conjunction with a few Japanese aeronautics experts who were also part of the project, funnily enough. They used to stay at his home from time to time. Such a shame it crashed and was also deemed uneconomical. But it was a great British success, whatever. I also remember seeing its early flights over Oxfordshire back in 1977. I'll never forget the first time I saw it.

I too loved Concorde.

If it was still flying over my back garden around 5.30pm (?) I really would not mind the noise of all the other planes, it would totally make up for it.

As it is ..... R.I.P. :(

ETA: It was such a beautiful plane - a work of art.