Stabbing at Kingsdale School

natalie_b

The poor children and parents...

I hope the child in critical condition pulls through and the students get whatever counselling they need.

I'm not sure what if anything we can do to help but if the school asks for any support for the families or the students, I hope someone posts it on the forum as I'd welcome the opportunity to do what I can.

Do "they"? Not in my experience and none of the secondary aged children and young people I know.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why don't they install detectors at the gates-

> this is crazy....I have confiscated weapons over

> the years...massive scissors, sharpened metal

> combs...They all think that all the other kids are

> tooled up so they need to be tooled up....

and the students get whatever counselling they need Counselling should not be forced too precipitously on anyone who has suffered a traumatic experience - to be shocked and to grieve is natural - students should be aware of where they can obtain counselling of course - but to engage students (or anyone) in counselling sessions too early may be to fix the event rather than to allow it to dissipate naturally. Most people who do have traumatic events thrust on them do not suffer from post-traumatic shock - some do, but to assume all do may be to actually exacerbate, rather then alleviate, future problems. Sometimes a shared formal grieving process can be helpful, as long as it does not become 'counselling' too early.

uncleglen Wrote:

> Why don't they install detectors at the gates-

> this is crazy....I have confiscated weapons over

> the years...massive scissors, sharpened metal

> combs...They all think that all the other kids are

> tooled up so they need to be tooled up....

Jeez, really? metal detectors? what sort of war torn school do you work at? I must make a note not to send my kids there (or walk past it at 3.30pm!)

I thought they used to have metal detectors at Kingsdale before it was rebranded? I remember just what a rough school it used to be a few years ago. Many secondary schools in this area (and no doubt in many other inner city areas) have a problem with students bringing weapons into school, but fortunately they are usually found and confiscated before they can be used.

LondonMix Wrote:

> I agree-- that's why I said whatever counselling

> they need rather than everyone get counselling.

In the article linked to by the OP it says

"Southwark Council said the school would re-open on Friday and students would be offered counselling."

ETA: So they will be offered it, not (presumably) have it thrust upon them.

Very sorry to read about this incident.

When I went to the school a few years back now...I think I was Year 7 or 8, a similar incident happened and all of us (students) got kept in the school till seven o'clock. Kingsdale was a very different school then, I am surprised it has happened again. My friend's sister who is still at the school said it was boys from another school or from outside of the school who came in and stabbed Kingsdale boys, that is EXACTLY what happened when I was there.

Also the security can't have been doing the best of jobs especially as they should have been on high alert with all of the terrorist threats. I am shocked this was able to happen under the circumstances. This school building always felt like it would be safe because you needed fobs to get thru doors, so I am just so shocked in general.

robbin Wrote:

> uncleglen Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Why don't they install detectors at the gates-

> > this is crazy....I have confiscated weapons

> over

> > the years...massive scissors, sharpened metal

> > combs...They all think that all the other kids

> are

> > tooled up so they need to be tooled up....

>

> Jeez, really? metal detectors? what sort of war

> torn school do you work at? I must make a note

> not to send my kids there (or walk past it at

> 3.30pm!)

Someone needs to move out of south London, or start saving for private!

It's getting worse in terms of gang violence. I am not sure I would be happy with my kids in any school in Southwark, Lambeth, Lewisham. No coincidence that all my colleagues who work with serious youth violence live way out of London.

Was at a meeting yesterday discussing the murder of Nathan Murray. It was so matter of fact the way this killing was spoken about as almost "having to happen", and that was by the professionals dealing with the case. Of course they had deep sadness about it, but the inevitability of it was very telling.

Keep saving, or move to Hastings! :(

Disclaimer: Hastings is full of cheap heroin. I will not be held responsible for the subsequent addiction of you or any of your loved ones.

Both my children attend Kingsdale and they are saddened and horrified by what happened. I'm sorry Ratty but I cannot agree with you regarding schools in south london. Most of my friend's children attend state schools in all the boroughs you mention, and they are all delightful young people with nice groups of friends (from all walks of life) with Schools doing their best to let them achieve their potential. The picture painted by ratty bears no resemblance to the neighbourhood we know or the London I inhabit.

I am not trying to minimise what happened yesterday, but to try to stem the image of 'tooled up' gangs marauding through the streets.

apologies if I appear naive.

I think ratty's post is a classic case of "moves out of London and tries to convince everyone how much better it is".

tiddles - I don't think you sound naive at all. We all realise that big cities have social problems, it's a factor that all of us with kids have already weighed up. Exaggeration is not helpful.

Agree with all of this and of course you don't sound naive Tiddles.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think ratty's post is a classic case of "moves

> out of London and tries to convince everyone how

> much better it is".

>

> tiddles - I don't think you sound naive at all. We

> all realise that big cities have social problems,

> it's a factor that all of us with kids have

> already weighed up. Exaggeration is not helpful.

Exactly! In 2014 London has less than 100 murders, which is the lowest it had been in 40 years despite the population growing. School murders in London or anywhere else in the country are exceedingly rare.

rightlight Wrote:

> The fact that this story hit the national news

> shows just how rare it is.