Peckham Rye Adventure Playground to Close??

stephen509

My wife was at the Adventure Playground the other day with her nephews.

She got talking with some other parents of some of the kids, and apparently the council are planning on closing the playground!

And not just this one, possibly all the other Adventure Playgrounds and Youth Clubs in Southwark!

I don?t know how true this is, has anyone else heard anything?

It would be a shame, I?ve been there a few times, its seems like a great space for the children to play. I understand its been there for years!

Oh no. Let's hope they're not going to convert it to burial space!!! That wouldn't surprise me knowing Southwark Council,seeing they are desperate for burial space in the borough. They've already taken space from Honor Oak recreation ground and now that's full it won't be too long before they take the rest. Where would we be without our lovely green parks that positively make this area such a delight to live in.

This:

"Once the car park is moved, the new play area will be built where the current car park is. The area is bigger and the new space can include an element of water play and hopefully sand play and fit for purpose play equipment."

..sounds good. The play area in PR is a bit rubbish at the moment.

FACEBOOK wrote They've already taken space from Honor Oak recreation ground and now that's full it won't be too long before they take the rest.

I had thought that the space used for recreation was on land already designated for burials, but was being alternatively used until needed (which shows a good flexible approach).

Southwark's 'desperation' for burial space appears evidenced only in that they are using previously designated spaces for what they were previously designated for, or bringing back into use land already in cemeteries which had become neglected and over-grown (and where there were already burials).

I am happy to stand corrected, but has there been any recent (last 5 years) new designation of land for burials locally?

Re the adventure playgrounds in particular - I understand that it looks likely that Southwark are planning to close all of the adventure playgrounds in the Borough - I do hope that this is not the case but if it is true Im horrified. For kids of 6 yrs plus these places are a godsend.

stephen509 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My wife was at the Adventure Playground the other

> day with her nephews.

>

> She got talking with some other parents of some of

> the kids, and apparently the council are planning

> on closing the playground!

>

> And not just this one, possibly all the other

> Adventure Playgrounds and Youth Clubs in

> Southwark!

>

> I don?t know how true this is, has anyone else

> heard anything?

>

> It would be a shame, I?ve been there a few times,

> its seems like a great space for the children to

> play. I understand its been there for years!

Yes for over 50 years I think (I certainly remember playing there as a child in the 60's). Sadly, parkland and playgrounds are luxuries that we simply can no longer afford with our population completely spiraling out of control and the pressures on housing that has caused. I think that they should close it and redevelop it into high-rise social housing for those poor unfortunate 18-35 year old single male refugees at Calais. We really ought to do the same with the swimming baths and leisure centre and convert that for their use too as a holding centre whilst some of you on here arrange for permanent accommodation to be built for them in your gardens which the government should compulsorily purchase for a nominal sum (it's for a great cause after all). What say you judith.arkwright@hot?

IVAN EDAKE Wrote:

I think that

> they should close it and redevelop it into

> high-rise social housing for those poor

> unfortunate 18-35 year old single male refugees at

> Calais. We really ought to do the same with the

> swimming baths and leisure centre and convert that

> for their use too as a holding centre whilst some

> of you on here arrange for permanent accommodation

> to be built for them in your gardens which the

> government should compulsorily purchase for a

> nominal sum (it's for a great cause after all).

> What say you judith.arkwright@hot?

What a very unpleasant post.

If it is under threat of closure, it would be interesting to understand how the Dog Kennel Hill Playground operates and see if there is a model there that could be made to work. If the local community were able to pull together and save a pub (Ivyhouse) then surely we could do the same to provide a great facility for our kids? I know not everyone could, but lots of folk who use it could afford to contribute - if the issue is just one of funding.

is it certain that this playground faces closure?

Southwark's website suggests that the playground will continue and that park play activities will be enhanced.

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200557/peckham_and_nunhead_regeneration/3843/peckham_rye_park_and_common/2

[extract from webpage]

Updated plan:

===========

Works to the car park wasn?t part of the project, but has now been included. The updated proposal shows the new car park moved to the other side of Straker?s Road.

The new plan retains the 5-a-side football pitch in its entirety.

The playroom will be located next to the Adventure Playground building so that both facilities can use the spaces flexibly. More toilets, meeting, storage and office space can be available to all groups who use the Playroom and Adventure Playground.

Once the car park is moved, the new play area will be built where the current car park is. The area is bigger and the new space can include an element of water play and hopefully sand play and fit for purpose play equipment.

Mikeb - and others - does anyone know where to find a map illustrating the layout of the new facilities, especially new car park location: 'Other side of Strakers Road' sounds very imprecise. I've had a look on the Sothwark pages referring to this but couldn't find anything.

I, for one, would be prepared to lobby the councillors and do whatever possible to keep the adventure playground open. It's hugely important for the kids, particularly young teens, in the area. Renata, can you confirm what is happening? Is it closing? Being scaled back? Your feedback would be much appreciated!

mikeb Wrote:

> Think this is still just a consultation document

> but may give an idea

>

> https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/planning-an

> d-regeneration/peckham-rye/supporting_documents/25

> %20July_Event%20Boards_FINAL_Revised_30.07.2015.pd

> f

>

> the consultants may be able to help as well

> [email protected]

Thanks - that's exactly what we were looking for.

IVAN EDAKE Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

>

>

> > What a very unpleasant post.

> I am entitled to have my own viewpoint. It is what

> is known as a democracy.

You might want to buy yourself a dictionary and see what democracy means. It certainly doesn't include an entitlement to troll a fellow poster on any unrelated thread just because she has a different view to you.