-------------------------------------------------------

> It's full of the middle classes with their middle

> class habit and Guardian reading

>

> How many vegetarians on here I wonder

>

> Not the Dulwich I knew - used to be full of decent

> working class Londoners

Much like Otta, I was born here and grew up here. I don't share your view of ED - you sound angry about a certain type of person who you seem to feel shouldn't be here. "How many vegetarians?" What, they are decent folk, you don't trust someone who won't eat a proper working class fry up? And as for saying it was full of decent people - mate, there were crack heads and smack heads living two doors down from us in the 80's!

You yearn for a time when your local manor was full of diamond geezers and gold hearted girls, everyone knew their place and kids showed respect. But it was never like that, and people with money came here and changed it beyond recognition. Personally I think it's on the verge of going to far, but at the same time there's an inevitability about gentrification that can only be resisted through action and protest.

Going on a forum and bitching that the wrong kind of people are in your neighbourhood is bigoted, pointless and ultimately will do nothing to alleviate the bitterness you plainly feel about people whose values your are intolerant of. Good luck with that.

old_bloke Wrote:

> It's full of the middle classes with their middle

> class habit and Guardian reading

>

> How many vegetarians on here I wonder

>

> Not the Dulwich I knew - used to be full of decent

> working class Londoners

Yawn ..

old_bloke Wrote:

> Yes I have

>

> It's infested with rather strange and rather posh

> people

>

> Like I said nothing like it was when I was a boy.

>

> Where have all the real London people gone

And who are 'real London people'? You, presumably? Me too - I've never lived anywhere else. So why don't you tell me what makes one? And why they/you have more of a right to live here then anyone else?

"Infested"! Wow, you really are angry.

Of course it's nothing like your youth. Show me anywhere that is? Things change, places change, and I share some of your concern that this area is being turned into a soulless husk, but I'm not going to tell those who came here that they aren't welcome. They bought money and created jobs and that isn't a bad thing.

In the end it's called capitalism. As I say, good luck fighting it.

Southwark council sold off at a massive profit- all the 'decent working class' council homes after fixing them up...see Dog Kennel hill. And they are letting all their street properties rot - to suffer the same fate I daresay. ED is being socially cleansed like many areas of London that are being 'gentrified'

The OP is not really worth responding to, but coincidentally someone posted a link a few days ago to the LSE Booth Project, which has scanned copies of the notes taken during walks his team of inspectors carried out in this area in December 1899. Here is the thread:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1603070,1604203#msg-1604203

The notes make a great read in themselves, but one of the things they reveal is that ED in late Victorian times had a mix of people from across a wide range of social classes, from comfortable professionals and businessmen who kept a full complement of servants, to those on the borderline of real (19th century) poverty. Since then the area has undoubtedly been through all sorts of ups and downs and changes, but the idea that it somehow naturally belongs to "decent working class Londoners" is an illusion.

Why is it all these yuppie types think someone is angry because they express an opinion

"Wow, you really are angry"

Really?

Just saddened by the demise of the working classes to be replaced by people who come on forums and use !wow" and "awesome! or other similar upper class sayings

Lots of the answer on here rather prove my point especially when you read claims of having "lived here all my life"

Yeah all right

Agreed DaveR. You only have to look at the large family houses on roads like Barry Road, either side of Goose Green, Peckham Rye, the whole Marmora - Mundania Rd enclaves, CPR, Over/Underhill Roads, even parts of Lordship Lane etc etc, to know that ED was never an exclusive working class area...

Y'see, O_B, mate, pal, etc., it's really not much fun if you can't even be bothered to put the effort in.

I know it's been a long weekend and it's cold and you're bored but either plunge in with both feet or read a book.

This half-arsed mimsy-cal approach is no good to anyone.

old_bloke Wrote:

> Why is it all these yuppie types think someone is

> angry because they express an opinion

>

> "Wow, you really are angry"

>

> Really?

>

> Just saddened by the demise of the working classes

> to be replaced by people who come on forums and

> use !wow" and "awesome! or other similar upper

> class sayings

>

> Lots of the answer on here rather prove my point

> especially when you read claims of having "lived

> here all my life"

>

> Yeah all right

What the heck, I'll bite one last time then ignore the troll...

I was born in Dulwich Hospital, grew up on Crystal Palace Road, went to primary and secondary school in the area and now I live with wife and two kids 20 minutes walk from my childhood home. So yeah, I am from round here.

You're angry because you think the people who took over this area don't belong here. You think it belongs to you and what you consider to be a decent person; you think the upper class (however you define it) shouldn't have come into your world. And you think things were better in your day.

Well, they weren't. That's never been true. You're bigoted and embittered and wishing that life confirmed to your view. But the truth is you just don't like these people and don't want to share your works with them. Tough.

(Still waiting for you to define what a proper Londoner is, by the way).

old_bloke Wrote:

> Why is it all these yuppie types think someone is

> angry because they express an opinion

>

> "Wow, you really are angry"

>

> Really?

>

> Just saddened by the demise of the working classes

> to be replaced by people who come on forums and

> use !wow" and "awesome! or other similar upper

> class sayings

>

> Lots of the answer on here rather prove my point

> especially when you read claims of having "lived

> here all my life"

>

> Yeah all right

I don't know how long ago you moved away OLD BLOKE but the old working classes have largely been moved on. There are no pubs left in Lordship Lane anymore (not in the sense that you or I would recognise) however, there is still one pub left on Crystal Paleace Rd (The Castle). Sadly, last year one of the last traditional businesses (Callows locksmiths) was pushed out due to rent and rates increases. I think it has been replaced with another organic shop selling placenta bread or whatever for the mums to get stuff for josh and jemima's packed lunches. Sadly, LL is now like a poor man's version of Islington desperately trying to be something it isn't and all the restaurants are grossly over-rated and over-priced without exception. That's progress I suppose and it is what the new people demand. I don't mind them or object to their presence, it's their politics that makes me want to vomit. Having supported Dulwich Hamlet for nearly 50 years, I'm about to stop going. It's like attending a Jeremy Corbyn garden party and the "Refugees Welcome" and "Collection For Calais" business is truly sickening. Don't these retarded imbeciles read newspapers or watch documentaries? Absolute disgrace to this country the lot of them and everyone of them is a 'Not In My Back Yard' hypocrite.

JoeLeg - are you Jeremy Corbyn under another name?

You spout very similar rubbish

The truly angry, bitter, bigoted person is you old chap with your constant name calling and label pinning

You certainly conform to the mindset of the middle classes that have descended on East Dulwich

Any one that knows the area can tell you're not from the area and probably not from London at all.

You have the ring of Chipping Norton about you

IVAN EDAKE Wrote:

> I don't know how long ago you moved away OLD BLOKE

> but the old working classes have largely been

> moved on. There are no pubs left in Lordship Lane

> anymore (not in the sense that you or I would

> recognise) however, there is still one pub left on

> Crystal Paleace Rd (The Castle). Sadly, last year

> one of the last traditional businesses (Callows

> locksmiths) was pushed out due to rent and rates

> increases. I think it has been replaced with

> another organic shop selling placenta bread or

> whatever for the mums to get stuff for josh and

> jemima's packed lunches. Sadly, LL is now like a

> poor man's version of Islington desperately trying

> to be something it isn't and all the restaurants

> are grossly over-rated and over-priced without

> exception. That's progress I suppose and it is

> what the new people demand. I don't mind them or

> object to their presence, it's their politics that

> makes me want to vomit. Having supported Dulwich

> Hamlet for nearly 50 years, I'm about to stop

> going. It's like attending a Jeremy Corbyn garden

> party and the "Refugees Welcome" and "Collection

> For Calais" business is truly sickening. Don't

> these retarded imbeciles read newspapers or watch

> documentaries? Absolute disgrace to this country

> the lot of them and everyone of them is a 'Not In

> My Back Yard' hypocrite.

There! You See Old_Bloke? THAT'S how you do it. You parody yourself so utterly that it isn't even worth anyone calling you an ignorant, bigoted, paranoid, half-witted, brain-dead tw*t.

Live and learn eh?

old_bloke Wrote:

> JoeLeg - are you Jeremy Corbyn under another

> name?

>

> You spout very similar rubbish

>

> The truly angry, bitter, bigoted person is you old

> chap with your constant name calling and label

> pinning

>

> You certainly conform to the mindset of the middle

> classes that have descended on East Dulwich

>

> Any one that knows the area can tell you're not

> from the area and probably not from London at

> all.

>

> You have the ring of Chipping Norton about you

AH HAHAHAHAHA,oh wow that's funny! Jeremy Corbyn eh? No, sorry. I don't even read the Guardian...

Thanks for making me smile on a wet Monday morning. I mean, I know you wanted to make me say 'oh no, the big internetz hard man has found me out for the blow in that I am' but that ain't gonna happen.

"Not from round here"? Well, I'd like to thank you for confirming my opinion of you - and I'm sorry to disappoint you but I really am one of the locals. Anyway, DulwichBornAndBred put it much better than me; it's a love/hate thing these days, though in you and done others the hate seems to be winning. Maybe you and Ivan can form a self help group.

You know the irony? You're both right that the demographic changes in the area have damaged (IMO) the old community of ED in some ways, but a) I'm not convinced that it wasn't an inevitable by-product of wholesale changes being seen across London and b) going online and bitching about vegetarians and placenta bread just makes you look less like someone with a valid point and more like a hateful twat.