Stranger danger?

smashing

Wasn't sure whether to post this but I had a weird experience earlier today...I was walking home with my 10 yr old son from school and got to the junction of Crystal Palace Rd/East Dulwich road. My son was a few paces ahead of me and when he stopped at the traffic lights he was approached by a man who said to him 'I'm looking for Crystal Palace Road, can you help me?'

He didn't realise I was with my son and when I told him he was standing on Crystal Palace Road he mumbled something and pretended to walk up towards the Leisure Centre.

After we crossed the road we looked back and he'd shuffled back to the lights.

All a bit odd. Not sure if it warrants me reporting it. He clearly knew he was on CPR and just wanted to talk to my son.

Roughly how far behind your son were you?

I don't know, this could have been a dodgy character. Or he could have wondered why this boy was alone and lost, and asked him if he knew where CPR was as a way to open conversation and see if the boy knew where he was.

Or if you were just a couple of metres behind I can't imagine anyone would try anything on that close to another adult.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Roughly how far behind your son were you?

>

> I don't know, this could have been a dodgy

> character. Or he could have wondered why this boy

> was alone and lost, and asked him if he knew where

> CPR was as a way to open conversation and see if

> the boy knew where he was.

>

> Or if you were just a couple of metres behind I

> can't imagine anyone would try anything on that

> close to another adult.

A boy of ten could well be out on his own, it's not as if he was a toddler on his own. And presumably he didn't look lost or distressed.

So I do think this sounds dodgy and I'd be inclined to tell the police too. Better safe than sorry if something happens to a child in the future.

ETA: And he clearly wasn't actually looking for Crystal Palace Road, given that he then just went back to the lights.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is any harm in telling police if your spidey senses were tingling. But for me when you say "My son was a few paces ahead of me" that doesn't sound like much. So I find it hard to imagine anyone would try something when there was an adult that close by.

Otta Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

So I find it hard to imagine anyone would

> try something when there was an adult that close

> by.

We don't know what (if anything) he was intending to try.

He could have had a car parked in Crystal Palace Road, by which time if you were an adult unconnected with what he thought was a lone child you would have been long gone in the other direction.

ETA: Sorry, I realise that's unclear, I don't mean you personally!

I had someone trying to open the back gate of my garden when I was sitting there with my partner, I run outside but it was too late. When I called the police they where very helpful, they sent an officer to talk to us and and the advice was:

" You always call the police if you feel in danger, this is very important informaiton and it is the only way we can do a map of the area with the same complaint and catch whoever is doing it! "

How old was this man? You say he 'shuffled' which suggests some age. If he was old he may also have been confused, asking directions and then heading off another way can be a symptom of confusion, possibly age related and may not have been a threat to your boy. Is it possible that rather than asking for Crystal Palace Road he was wanting the road to Crystal Palace (which CPR really isn't)? Starting up CPR it would then be quickly clear this wasn't a route to Crystal Palace, hence his return. I do not think that you are wrong to be concerned, or to share these concerns with relevant authorities. But there may be other explanations for this man's behaviour than any which are actually threatening to your child. This is still intelligence which is worth sharing, but it may not actually turn out to be of concern to other parents. Hopefully.