Dangerous parking in Barry Road

Penguin68

The dangerous Barry/ Underhill junction had ?build-outs? (much at the instigation of Mr Barber) in order to make the junction safer to cross for motorists in Underhill Road. These are ?protected? by road hatchings which should place parked vehicles a little away from the junction to improve visibility. However, and on both sides of Barry, I have noticed very large white vans parked up to the build-out and over the road hatchings ? making pulling out of Underhill to cross (particularly travelling south, away from the Whateley end) very hazardous. By the time you have edged out far enough into the road to see past the white vans, traffic is already on you.

I would have thought the parking mavens employed by Southwark could have done something about this, although I note the sweet-heart deals between any and all builders and the council might well exempt them from any requirement to park properly. Actually, having large commercial vehicles parked at junctions obscuring visibility seems almost a requirement locally now ? maybe it?s a new bye-law I?ve missed.

I don't think it's illegal to park on this kind of hatching - it's only there to define the road. This urban style of hatching isn't even in the highway code.

Pulled out of there tonight - it's like having to look around a single storey building while that Enterprise van is there.

I said ages ago, before the expensive build-out was put in, that there should be two cars' length of double-yellows on the right hand sides on that junction, but instead, they went for the expensive option.

It isn't illegal. We don't have the mechanisms to differentiate parking between vans which block sight lines and other vehicles. The good news dramatically were crashes at this junction than the past. Other junctions now need to be addressed before we return to this unless the vans continue - in which case double yellow lines is them out likely result there.

sheff wrote on December 11th As it happens I've just seen someone get hit side on in there car attempting to pull out from that junction.

This lunchtime.

Mr Barber writes on December 12th The good news dramatically were crashes at this junction than the past.

Really?

davidk Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This would stop if Southwark made any attempt to

> penalise illegal parking in this area but they are

> clearly not interested.

Davidk, there is a lack of transparency in the way S'wark implement traffic management and then 'police' it. It seems to be the be case that certain developers, and the builders they hire, can park wherever they want, wreaking whatever havoc they choose, with no fear of penalty from S'wark parking. On the other hand, your average, council tax paying resident is treated somewhat differently.

Penguin68 Wrote:

> sheff wrote on December 11th As it happens I've

> just seen someone get hit side on in there car

> attempting to pull out from that junction.

> This lunchtime.

>

> Mr Barber writes on December 12th The good news

> dramatically were crashes at this junction than

> the past.

>

> Really?

Ditto.

• 3 months later...

James Barber Wrote:

> It isn't illegal. We don't have the mechanisms to

> differentiate parking between vans which block

> sight lines and other vehicles. The good news

> the past. Other junctions now need to be addressed

> before we return to this unless the vans continue

> - in which case double yellow lines is them out

> likely result there.

The white vans have continued to park on the corner - I have many times both on bicycle and car found it dangerous to cross Barry Rd from Underhill Rd in the direction of Lordship Lane.

The same tall white vans are a problem. If there was ever a case for double yellow lines round the junction this is one of them.. I am amazed there hasn't been an accident yet.

Would be great if you could bring this up at a meeting - especially in the context of the move to paint yellow lines all over the place. Better to zero in on trouble spots than a blanket policy

James Barber Wrote on 12th December 2016:

> It isn't illegal. We don't have the mechanisms to

> differentiate parking between vans which block

> sight lines and other vehicles. The good news

> the past. Other junctions now need to be addressed

> before we return to this unless the vans continue

> - in which case double yellow lines is them out

> likely result there.

You do not have to be a traffic expert to conclude just looking at the junction that if there is one place that absolutely cried out for yellow lines it was this junction.

Clearly nothing has been done about it since December 2015 .. and I hope the accident there tonight was not caused by obscured site lines.

Could the driver of the parked van on Barry road/sylvester road junction please not park on the corner?

Turning left onto Barry road coming from Sylvester road, neither myself nor oncoming traffic can be seen due to blocking view. It would be much appreciated.