Amott road - Noise disturbance - Party animal house

Hi,

There's a house on Amott road. A party animal house on Amott road with loud music and equally drunken loud singers in the garden (1:50am), they scream too, this time 4am. It's not the first time but it's the last drop. Actually, in average, they party around 3-5 times a year up to the morning. I wake up at each one and wish for a thunderstorm. I'm not even a direct neighbour. My mistake? I can never be bothered to call the police for noise disturbance. But this time, I'm sending a public message from the block.

If you are from this house, or a guest, please kindly pass on the message. You can party, but passed midnight and considering your frequency:

- Drop the music

- Close your bay windows

- Ask your friends to sing along all the @#$%& they want indoors

- Saturday nights are not an excuse, people work on Sundays here.

Please, don't apologise, just don't do it again. And if you don't care enough, then police it will be. Every time. Called by possibly any other exceeded neighbour around the block reading this message and seeing it as a reasonable first step to solve the problem.

TO REPORT NOISE NUISANCE: 0207 525 5777

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/412/noise_problems

@ nxjen : I've added the phone number at 8am, it's a bit late to call anyone. To answer your assumptions nevertheless, I'm putting the number here for next time so it's all in one place. It's unlikely I'm the only one bothered: in the past I observed drastic and sudden noise changes through the night. It seems people called. My first reaction though was to check the forum. If I had seen this message I would have assumed that they were aware of the problem but didn't seem to care. I would've found the presence of the number practical and I would have called. That's pretty much it. This is for me, you, everyone bothered by the disturbance in the future.

@ Jules-and-Boo : Thanks for your advice. This message it's me chatting. If they want to reply, discuss the situation, they are free to do so, and all the block can be updated. I'm also sorry to hear people could be annoyed at me complaining that I can't sleep between 2 to 4am, about a dozen times now. If they were to announce their party from now on, they would have to make sure every house in the block is aware. Better even, they could invite us :) After all it always feels as if they were in my garden.

In such a big city like London you always have this dilemma. When you try to sleep you moan at party people, when you party you see anyone complaining as a pain in the ass. It's all about coexisting. Lowering the sound and closing windows past midnight, even 1am seem perfectly fair. I think people who decided to live here did it in the knowledge that there's no pub, nightclub in the block, it's not a touristy area... I really don't mind the odd party every now and then. I got other neighbours up for it but they are considerate them.

Karinoushka Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

This

> message it's me chatting. If they want to reply,

> discuss the situation, they are free to do so, and

> all the block can be updated.

With respect, this message isn't you chatting to them. Who knows if they even read this forum? If you've got an issue with their behaviour, the only way you can be sure they know is if you, you know, talk to them.

To the OP, go ahead and complain. It is not about whether it is once, twice or 50 times a year, it is about if it is causing you a nuisance and that can be 1 or 100 times.

If you feel intimidated, or unconfident or uncomfortable about talking to the people causing the problem then dont. Call the noise police, that is why they are there.

In an ideal world you should be able to talk reasonably with people to resolve issues, but in an ideal world you wouldnt have to put up with their unreasonable behaviours because it wouldnt happen.

If you feel able to talk with them, fine. If not, use the ofgicial route. Good luck.

They were sleeping I guessed so I left a note through the letterbox inviting them to check this post. Let's see what happens. I'm pretty sure it's the house with brown bricks and the black framed bay window, plus all the stores were down today. But Huggers makes me wonder.

Karinoushka Wrote:

> They were sleeping I guessed so I left a note

> through the letterbox inviting them to check this

> post. Let's see what happens. I'm pretty sure it's

> the house with brown bricks and the black framed

> bay window, plus all the stores were down today.

> But Huggers makes me wonder.

Let me get this straight... a note to which the addressee might or might not responsd, may or may not have been put through the wrong letterbox???

Let me get this straight Saffron. At least I'm doing something about it you troll. I didn't say it will be easy.

I'm 99.9999% sure. I've also sensibly added to ignore the note if that happens to be the wrong address. If I was to receive this note wrongly I wouldn't get on my high horses, I'd actually be glad the situation is being taken care of and I'd gladly drop it in the rightful place because I too didn't sleep much last night (especially right next to it). If that was the case, it would be either of their neighbours.

I'm not gonna play the cop making sure they actually go to the end of it either. I don't have psychic powers and I'm not their mother either. I don't think you would be in the position either if you were at my place.

Karinoushka Wrote:

> Let me get this straight Saffron. At least I'm

> doing something about it you troll. I didn't say

> it will be easy.

There's nothing trollish about making an enquiry for clarification. The question was quite genuine, as your post clearly stated "I'm pretty sure it's the house with brown bricks and the black framed bay window, plus all the stores were down today. But Huggers makes me wonder."

Not sure what you mean by "I didn't say it will be easy". I never referenced the difficulty level of your task.

>

> I'm 99.9999% sure. I've also sensibly added to

> ignore the note if that happens to be the wrong

> address. If I was to receive this note wrongly I

> wouldn't get on my high horses, I'd actually be

> glad the situation is being taken care of and I'd

> gladly drop it in the rightful place because I too

> didn't sleep much last night (especially right

> next to it). If that was the case, it would be

> either of their neighbours.

>

How exactly is the situation "taken care of", if there's no way of knowing if the right people received the note, and if no one knows if the Noise Team were called at the time?

> I'm not gonna play the cop making sure they

> actually go to the end of it either.

Go to the end of what?

> I don't have

> psychic powers and I'm not their mother either. I

> don't think you would be in the position either if

> you were at my place.

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about there.

If the right house did get your note, I hope it made better sense than this post.

Good luck getting it sorted.

I think you may need to look up the word "troll".

I also still don't understand why you're asking these people to look at your post on an internet forum. Wouldn't a direct conversation, even via a note, be far more productive rather than pointing out that you've complained about them publically to the world and his wife? These people may be genuinely ignorant of the distress they've caused you, so why the passive aggression?

There is nothing judgemental or satirical about asking for clarification. You may not like my straightforward style, but that doesn't make the post trolling. And talking-up neighbours' supposed bad behaviour without concerted efforts to actually speak to the neighbours, or get a response from the Noise Team to confirm it, does the community no good imho.

• 4 weeks later...
Once I had a noisy neighbour next door ,between my living room and his bedroom there was a brick wall, he used to play music at odd times. One night he played a record real loud, I woke up and checked the time it was 2am. I picked up my 45kg dumbell went to the living room, and hit the dumblell on the wall along with the beat of the record, after three beats of my dumblell ,music stopped forever.

Hey all, updates,

Of course Azira, there's a perfectly clear explanation on why I decided to post here and not ring their doorbell. This isn't a personal issue. The level of the noise is not just disturbing me, it's disturbing the entire block of houses (read through the thread and check neighbour's comment). Hence why via this post, they can address all of us and we can all be updated. Better even they can also give us a heads up on their next party, obviously I hope it's not gonna be necessary.

So, this isn't delibarate passive aggressiveness (life is too short for that), it's constructive collaboration. If you grasp the situation, you can begin to understand.

I don't believe going to see them one neighbour at a time will achieve much, I've witnessed the outcome of that practice (read thread) and the result is ephemeral. You see if we were all leaving in a building, we would discuss the issue at the regular co-ownership meeting before calling public services. This post is the nearest most modern alternative I've found. Better than creating a Facebook group or dropping a card in every house to gather them all. Better by far.

I hope this makes sense.

It's funny how come, you believe, standing for the rest of a community, with perfectly understandable reasons to so, is a noble thing to do and you find yourself managing people who can solely see a personal and public rant hidden behind a username, oblivious to the specific matter and situation, which, by themselves, justifies the how and why. I guess the thing with common sense is that it's not that common.

Ps: Mashcov, I write this one down!

So there was no reply to your note through the door then?

I don't see a reply from them here either..?

I stand by my position that posting a named road on a public forum to 'shame' a particular house is not community-minded, when we have no way of knowing if the residents will read this thread or feel comfortable replying.

I fail to see how you're 'standing up for the rest of the community', because by your own admission you haven't bothered to speak in person with all of your actual neighbours, and there is otherwise no way of knowing if your neighbours all read this thread.

My issue is not that you're complaining about noise. It's that without going through the official channel of the Noise Team, you've opted to criticise a private house on a named road, on a public forum.

It's not like criticising a named, business for poor service, where people can then debate the service, and the business can respond (if they read the forum) to how they might change services to improve their public image and performance to benefit local residents.

It's taking a personal swipe at your neighbours on a public forum. I stand by what I wrote earlier: talking-up neighbours' supposed bad behaviour without concerted efforts to actually speak to the neighbours, or get a response from the Noise Team to confirm it, does the community no good imho.

If you can discuss it with your neighbours, that's great. If not, you don't actually need to discuss it with your neighbours to call the public services. You simply call the Noise Team and let them sort it out. It's potentially inflammatory to drag a personal disagreement onto a public forum. I can't see the community benefit in that. Indeed quite the opposite.