Sea cow closed

If it's truelly the result of a big rent increase it's very disappointing. Is there no regulation around rents? Soup dragon, which was extremely popular, was forced out in similar circumstances an has been left empty for at least the last couple of years. It's seems (on the face of it at least) to be self defeating greed by some landlords.

One of the smaller curry outlets has had rent increase of ?29k to ?65k p/a. Plus rates and other expenses.

I can see that in 5 years or less there will be fewer food outlet on Lordship Lane.

Most restaurants simple cannot cover these costs.. and keep prices at anywhere near realistic prices..

DulwichFox..

It's a shame if it is rent increase as it means it will stop any small independent shop wanting to take over. However I know they could do far better business as I went there the other day with my girlfriend as we wanted to try the fish and chips as previously we had heard it's very good. When we went, the place was almost empty and it was just pure silent, it just felt awkward and didn't make us want to stay. With a better feel if the food is excellent that place can be busy every nighT. It's also a shame I never got to try it. (Just moving to dulwich)

..if rents are going from 25k to 50k.....the the high street is farked.

For commercial rents it is relevant when the rent review period is - a doubling in a year would be terrible, doubling over 10 or 15 years possibly more acceptable. I cannot remember when the Sea Cow first opened, but if this is the first rise in that time it may well be too high for their business model, and yet not, given the overall market, wholly unreasonable. It does depend what other businesses moving into the area (and some have) are prepared to pay for that site. If it is an uneconomic rent then it may well fall. That is how markets work. LL now serves households who are paying far more than they used to for domestic rents and mortgages. And who may be able to afford to keep going more expensive establishments. But fish and chips, however nice, have a ceiling price which is not that flexible - and may not be sufficiently revenue generating to 'pay for' what the commercial site is now worth.

I only ever used it once... Shortly after it first opened... At the time the latest fad on the block..

Queuing down Lordship Lane...

I got my Box of Fish'n'Chips home.. opened it up to find a soggy , greasy slab of fish ? stuck to the paper.

and 10 - 12 greasy baby / new potatoes that appeared to of been confied in cold oil...

Never been back..

DulwichFox

Well, frankly I never saw the point of it as a takeaway. You have to leave that to a more traditional chippy. I liked the fact you could walk in, choose your fish, like a snapper or a sea bass or whatever and wash it all down with a half decent bottle of wine. That was for me, what made it good.

Agreed. Takeaway fish n chips is an acquired taste. They should be eaten straight out of the fryer, even if it burns your mouth. FWIW We liked Sea Cow a lot and will miss it. As Penguin68 suggested, it's difficult for any business to offer good value food with rents like these. I wonder what might happen to a few of our curry houses in the next year or so once they're hit with these rises.

Yep never bothered with a takeaway (preferred the one near the station, formerly known as "the Dulwich fryer"). But for somewhere to sit in - with something to drink of course - it was a reasonable prospect. And if "the missus" didn't fancy F&C there was always the option of a bit of grilled snapper with salad, or whatever.

I cannot agree that it was overpriced. ?9 for cod and chips (when eating in) is very competitive. Check out how much our local pubs charge.

The problem was that it was a little inconsistent. Had some lovely fish (and OK chips) there, and good portions... but at other times the food was disappointing.

well the future is clear - increased rents (happens on one site - starts a chain reaction of basic economics - a bit like the 'estate agents effect') will lead to the chains being the only ones that can afford the location - and all the little local places up-shop-and-leave.

It happens everywhere, sadly.

Morrisons, M&S (Oh we have that), Starbucks...... lovely.