SE22's most likely to get brain damage from mobile phone overuse?

Every morning when I return to SE22 from Westminster after a long hard night protecting Her Maj's Palace from insurrectionists, I reward myself by dropping in to one of the wonderful 24hr off-licences in South London - surely one of the greatest advances of the 21st. century.

Just recently I have noticed that whenever I visit the "Payless" shop (opposite The Bishop in LL) the chap behind the counter ALWAYS seems to be talking to himself. Closer inspection reveals that he has a pair of white earphones plugged in to his aural orifices, and he rabbits away incessantly to persons? unknown while totting up the damage for my shopping and taking my money.

Not only does this seem to me to be extremely rude, but also I fear for his long term health. Does anybody know whether this is only an early morning phenomenon, or does it continue throughout the day? (And if so how do you feel about the lack of communication with his customers?)

I think the guy just has stuff to do / people to talk to / business to conduct and he's being efficient with his time by not waiting hours until his shift is over or taking a chance a customer won't come in.

I'd wager the chap would be very surprised to hear anyone even cares that he's on the phone or wants to exchange niceties of the 'hello, good morning' ilk !