dulwich picture gallery cafe - poor value?

alba

We ordered 3 ice-creams and 4 teas yesterday at the Dulwich Picture Gallery cafe and the bill was ?21. We had to wait about half an hour for any of it to arrive. They always seem busy - but I won't be returning in a hurry.

I agree, alba - pretty surroundings but what they serve is fairly ordinary and frighteningly expensive. I suppose they feel they can get away with it because of the location. The only time I've been in it was full of well-off-looking old ladies.

edited for silly mistakes

I know it's not that cheap but, in their defence, the prices are on the menu...

I've never ordered ice cream so have to admit I don't know how much they charge for it, but everything else seems to be on a par with anywhere else in the area. They also do excellent scones - much as I like Le Chandelier, theirs don't begin to compare.

We often go for a cream tea in the afternoon. A big pot of tea with a home made scone and jam is about ?4.50. I think that's not bad value for such a nice place to sit.. no more that the equivalent in the Peckham Rye cafe. I also think the lunch menu is quite good value (main courses are about ?8-?11).

Well, yes, I do agree with that (Ms B's post). If you order you do have to pay! And the Village is expensive, so it's not surprising that the cafe is so costly. It clearly pitches itself as an upmarket place rather than a quick-sarnie-after-the-exhibition hangout.

I like the place for a special coffee and cake every now and again. Proper waitress service, starched aprons and the whole gubbins. Makes a difference from virually anything else in the area. A stones throw from the Pavilion Cafe in the park - but a million miles away. What you moaning 'bout?

I guess in an ideal world there'd be a special place for Occasions, and an affordable place next door!

Were we moaning, Citizen? (sticks out bottom lip)

Edited to say - surely you've got to be wrong there, Ms B, well known fact that blonde celebrities don't eat.

Shucks, wrong again.

I'm rather torn now. I really do like to go to special places from time to time, and whisk a starched napkin onto my knee while pontificating about the exciting juxtaposition of space and colour after going to see an exhibition.

But I also like the idea of museums (particularly those that have received an injection from the lottery) being places anyone can just pop to and wander around, and have a cup of tea afterwards. I'm not easily intimidated but didn't feel quite comfortable in the DPG caf? and was really put off by the price.

Suppose we could have just got on the bus and gone closer to home.

I fear we may be getting off topic, and I have already been spanked by the administrator too many times for that crime. Doesn't anyone else have a view on the park caf??

(Marilyn herself I feel may have enjoyed the occasional second helping)

I've had tea and scones there a few times -a little treat if I happen to be off mid-week.

There is no way I would ever go to a place like that and order anything without checking the menu for prices first - it surely isn't asking too much for people to take responsibility for that is it? Of course ?21 is a ridiculous amount to pay for some ice cream and tea - but that is entirely the perogative of any business to charge what they will. It's up to us to make the informed choice thereafter

I've had lunch there with my kids. Agreed it is lovely surroundings and the staff are very child friendly. We enjoy the cafe, but don't eat there every day. The Picture Gallery being free more than makes up for the cafe's prices (IMHO) and is small enough that children don't get bored. I took my 3 year old to the Children in Portraiture exhibit a while back and she loved it and when it was all over we had a treat in the cafe.

The gallery isn't free entrance. There is a ?5 charge for able-bodied adults in gainful employemt.

I think it is worth the fee though and the free concessions are generous.

The cafe is a nice space and the food is better than average but the couple of times I've eaten there the service has been a bit all over the place.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There is no way I would ever go to a place like

> that and order anything without checking the menu

> for prices first - it surely isn't asking too much

> for people to take responsibility for that is it?

> Of course ?21 is a ridiculous amount to pay for

> some ice cream and tea - but that is entirely the

> perogative of any business to charge what they

> will. It's up to us to make the informed choice

> thereafter

Think this one is a bit of a red herring that a couple of people have picked up on. I think we can agree that it's common sense to check the menu before you buy - and if you don't, any pained yelping that you emit when you get the bill is your own fault.

Of course it's the business's prerogative to charge what they will, and the customer's privilege to vote with his feet. So then it comes down to - do we like the caf? as is, or would we be happier if it was more affordable?

I would hate it if all caf?s felt obliged to be caffs with 60p cups of tea, and only orange Tetley's available. The elegance of the place is something special. The service... well, that ought to match. I can't remember much about it.

Perhaps it would be nice if one could perhaps have a takeaway sit-in-the-garden option, probably with a limited menu, so that one could go to an exhibit and come out for refreshment without having sold Granny's virtue to pay for it.

agreed i only go to the picture gallery for a special afternoon and really do love their cream teas (sorry Le Chandelier but you dont have a patch on them). i think their mains are quite pricey (i paid ?8 for a baguette and parma ham/rocket) but i saw the price list before i ordered it so i cant whinge really. not somewhere i would eat often though.