BT Inifinity 4mg download speed

I have now been with BT Broadband infinity fibre connection for over 8 months i have noticed my broadband speed is very very low. I have run several tests on my broadband and my speed is 4mb download, i can see from the BT exchange it is 17mb but from my router to my tablet i get 4mb, i have contacted BT who informed me to make a change on the router but it has still made no difference to the speed whatsoever.

Too top it all i then get a warning message from BT informing me i have reached my 40gb permitted Broadband allowance and they will charge me for going over it.

Is anyone else in the area experiencing these problems in the area.

I have just checked my broadband speed (BT Infinity 2) Ping 14Ms, Download 31.78Mbps, Upload 16.2Mbps - I did not clear down my system or turn off other things etc. to do this, I am connected to my router through the power network (3 pin plugs). I use the BT Homehub 5. If I connected directly through my router (using Ethernet) it would be faster, but my PC is two stories away from my router.

Is there any chance that someone is piggy-backing off your wifi or that you have a virus which is downloading stuff in the background? If you're using more of your download allowance than you think you should be, and speeds are low, that could just be an issue. Try changing your wifi password and using the strongest kind of encryption and see if things improve.

We have BT Infinity but I'm not aware we've ever hit a download allowance. Our download speeds are around 35Mbps via the latest homehub.

Think about scrapping BT altogether...

Frustrated with copper broadband (at <2mb!!) and the promise of fibre for over three years, I have just cancelled by broadband and landline. I have a mobile wifi deal and router combo set up with speeds of 40+. I am paying ?25pcm for 50gb with EE, so saving me money and much faster connection.

My infinity is Crap with a capital 'C'.

Internet Explorer hangs. Opera is unusable. Chrome also hangs.. When I search all the entries just have the spinning dots for 30 secodns or so. Watching Youtube videos just do not respond..

cannot scroll in any browser. Just no longer responds after switching to Infinity.

My secondary email accounts constantly crash and repeatedly request passwords to be entered.

Linking to other pages on websites just hang..

It is slightly better if I use a Ethernet cable

DulwichFox

My BT infinity FTTC is rock solid. 70 down, 20 up, no bandwidth cap. I use terabytes of data some months as part of my job and i have never had any issues with any speed degradation or capping due to this. It just works. I spend several hours every day in video conferences and it very rarely fails.

Things to check:

- Measure the true speed: Turn off wifi at the hub and plug in a machine directly into the hub and run a speed test. Quite often it's the wifi that is causing issues. If this is the case, see if you have a lot of channel overlap - this can slow things down. There are good apps for this. This step will allow to you understand if the problem is the actual connection or your wifi setup. If it is indeed the connection, talk to BT. If not, there are lots of things you can do to improve a bad wifi.

- I found that if you are using apple products, the PPPoE connection used by infinity sometimes acts weirdly. I swapped out the BT hub for an apple time machine that his greatly improved things. Note that I think this is an apple issue, not a BT issue. A classic case of apple products working great with other apple products.

Cheers and good luck!

We got rid of BT some months ago after continued problems. It seems with BT that if you are near enough to an exchange, you get the service they promise. If you are not, then it is poor. Also they prioritise business customers over residential customers. With Virgin now and much happier.

We would love to have been given a service with Virgin. They installed the cable (incl under the floorboards) and THEN decided that the cable couldn't be brought to the house at all - despite neighbours 150m up the road already subscribing.

So we felt we had to go with BT. We get drops in speed after 6.00pm and sometimes I have to reset the router during the day.

• 2 weeks later...