Constant rubbish at Holmes Place, Oakhurst Grove

Does anyone else living on Oakhurst Grove or Kelmore Grove get annoyed with the amount of rubbish constantly outside the flats at Holmes place. I've contacted the Council but nothing has been done. It's a real eye sore, and of course when one person dumps something, the pile soon builds up. Someone needs to fence this off, plant it heavily, or anything to put people off using this area!

Yes I live on that street and yes it does drive me mad. We are across from holmes place and the wind brings loads of the loose little bits of rubbish over to our driveway which I am constantly putting in the bin and makes the front our house look like we just drop rubbish everywhere and don't care!

I will also email the environment team which James has provided. x

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I friends who live in Oakhurst who have remarked

> on this .They've commented on the practice of

> dumping small stuff next to the paladins rather

> than in them .

Hero of mythical virtue? Knightly companion of Charlemagne? ***puzzlement*** Then Google. Ah. A brand name gone generic, I suppose. -- Paladin vs "chamberlain", next vocabulary-builder.

Now I have three ways to say "wheelie-bin". Viva the EDF! Viva intexasatthe moment!

I've emailed the council about this problem in the past and although they sometimes argue that it might be private land and therefore not their problem, they do come and remove it, or at least I assume it is the council that removes it, somebody does anyway. However, it is no sooner gone than overnight more rubbish appears, and this is not general household rubbish either I've seen old sofas, mattresses, office furniture etc. all sorts of stuff deposited there that somebody must be bringing in from somewhere.

Anyway, my point is that contacting the council, even if they do come and remove it, does not seem to solve the problem, it just clears the space for whoever it is to dump more stuff there. I'm not sure what the answer is.

I guess it's not possible to know if those responsible are Holmes Place residents, or other lazy neighbours who use that space as a dumping ground, but CCTV might be a deterrent.

We have the same problem in Altima Court, beyond the double gates. There is a high turnover of tenants in our building, and every few weeks another load of furniture gets dumped for someone else to sort out. Southwark will come in and take it away if we ring and leave a reference number on it, and I assume we're on private land too. However now that there is a charge in place, I fear it won't be so straightforward.

There was a problem similar to this at a Hyde Housing Assoc. in Wood Vale. I took photos and emailed them to the Hyde Management team. It took ages, but it was cleared; however like this problem, the site needs to be looked at,and changed, as scrawford suggests, so try engaging with the management of the flats.

Update: walked past today, and a black mesh cage has been erected around the area containing the large bins which was attracting the extra rubbish.

I spoke to the Veolia bin men today. They weren't whether that area of Holmes Close/Oakhurst Grove is on private land but promised me they will check with their depot manager. They even took my phone number, so it could happen...

They also mentioned that since Southwark started charging people to collect furniture, they are seeing more old furniture being dumped everywhere along their routes.

• 2 weeks later...

On my daily walk it seems that the whole area both ED and Peckham is under siege from a new generation of graffiti idiots and dumped rubbish.

Still if they should ever get caught what do you think will happen?

They will not go out of their way to solve.

Seems we are going back to the bad old times.

Re tagging: I mentioned to the person taking care of a well-established and generally well-respected shop in SE15 that the council would remove any tagging (because this shop had been vandalised very visibly) but was told - very patronisingly and self-satisfiedly - by that person that s/he actually liked it and that it was a good thing that certain neglected parts of the local young population were able to express themselves given that the wall-art (murals etc.) were by and for the middle class elite.

I am not going to name the shop as the person who was "in charge" that day was not the manager and not necessarily speaking for the owner but it was like coming face-to-face with a walking, talking Viz character.

We finally got all the rubbish removed from two L & Q housing association houses on Blackwater St. It took many emails to Southwark Council Environmental enforcement and complaints to the L & Q housing association as well as some assistance from James B. but today it was hauled away so persistance does pay off.