Green spaces in East Dulwich and around

Hello East Dulwich!

We are considering moving to the area as it's still relatively good value compared to North London and has the same feel as where we used to live. However we don't know the area that well. I need to have green space around me. I've been spoilt by having Hampstead Heath, Queens and Parkland wood, Ally Pally, Waterlow Park, Parkland Walk, Priory Park etc etc near me. Could you tell me about the green areas around ED and which is your favourite and why? I prefer wild places like woods rather than parks, but all is g8!! Also really interested in any outdoorsy groups, forest schools or conservation groups that sort of thing too.

TIA

South London is blessed for Green Space. The closest parks to East Dulwich are Peckham Rye (in Peckham), Dulwich Park (in Dulwich) as well as Camberwell Old Cemetery towards Honor Oak Park.

If you venture a little further south, you have Horniman Gardens in Forest Hill (great views) and Crystal Palace Park in Crystal Palace. Sydenham has Alexandra Recreation Ground, Sydenham Wells Park, Mayow Park as well as Sydenham Hill Wood, which is part of the Great North Wood from the medieval times. It has one of the best views of London!

Good luck with the move!

spider69 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Explain

There are numerous threads on here relating to "Save Southwark Woods" etc, one of which is active in this section of the forum today, and the person who started this campaign is called Lewis.

Just seems a strange coincidence that a first time poster with a similar name should have a first post concerning this very subject.

But as I say, I have a suspicious mind :)

ETA: If this is just an unusual concidence, then of course I apologise profusely for my suspicions. but to the best of my knowledge there has never been a poster on the forum - let alone a first time poster - asking so specifically about green spaces and even seeking a local group relating to them ........

"I prefer wild places like woods" - well, a glance at a map would show you what parks and woods are in the area. I moved here for precisely that reason, having looked at a map of London.