reception staff at The Gardens Surgery

Anna D

i have been taken aback twice this week by the attitude of some of the reception staff at The Gardens Surgery. Eye-rolling, aggression, telling me off like a schoolchild for simply standing at the desk waiting to ask a question. It can't be right that sick people are being treated in this way. It's dangerous - if you're sick and too scared to ask a question for fear of being chastised.. Have I just been unlucky and got them on two bad days or have others had similar experiences?

I totally agree and think the attitude of the staff at the surgery is disgraceful, you wouldn't get away with it in any other workplace so why is it acceptable in a GP surgery? Their telephone manner is worse, I never make appointments for myself when I need to because of it and only go in when the children need to be seen.

I had to deal with them for a number of years on behalf of a relative and found that when they became familiar with me, dealing with them was usually no problem and they became quite accommodating. Yes, their was the usual issue about booking appointments in the following month, that could not be done at the time because those appointments were not open yet, fair enough.

They are a million times better than my own practice on Forest Hill road.

I've pretty much always found them to be fine - bordering on the nice (sometimes very nice). I suspect they have to deal with some right royal pain in the ars*s though and if you come across as difficult then maybe their attitude might be different. Not saying you have done, but if you were, or they were at the time being inundated with difficult patients (so many these days have an exaggerated feeling of 'entitlement'), that might explain a less than friendly service.

Anna D,

It would probably be most constructive all round if you took this to the practice manager who is best placed to have a word with the relevant staff member/s and you can discuss your experience in confidence. Sometimes under pressure things like people skills can slide. I agree though, that aspect is vital in a job like GP reception. Perhaps some staff members need a bit more training or just a reminder about professionalism at all times.

I'm sorry to hear this. Ive been a patient for 5 years, from my experience they've always been great, they all know me well and always have a friendly chat when I'm in there. They've fulfilled any request I've had, even beyond their duty sometimes. Sometimes they are quite short and seem annoyed, although I've only found this in the mornings whine trying to book an emergency appointment, they have extremely busy though and had a huge influx of patients which resulted in the morning telephone and queue outside just getting bigger. I imagine it's quite a stressful role in the morning, trying to answer the phone that's ringing constantly and dealing with people at reception too. Don't write them off of its only been the one occasion. It's not an easy job they are doing.

Most of them are Ok except one. The other week I phoned the surgery but beause I was struggling to get my words out because of my stutter the person on the phone got realy impatient with me which made me stutter more. Eventually I told her I hd a stutter and she became really apologetic and more patient. I think the staff are generally stressed out not that that is an excuse for her behaviour.

I have been with this surgery years and never experienced any thing but good service, they went over board to fix me an appointment when some lab results came back and my GP asked them to call me with an appointment. Most of them call me by name, the surgery nurses are friendly and helpful and the new doctors I have met are very approachable.

I have been a patient at this surgery for years and I have to be honest I really do rate them highly. The reception staff have gotten to know me and my children over the years and especially 2 of them are very friendly, accommodating and try to help me as much as they can. I was there with my eldest this morning and one of them even gave me a hug to say happy new year!

I have been there for myself sick, experienced two pregnancies with gestation diabetes and subsequent check ups / ailments for those children, PND post the birth of my second child where I had to attend weekly appts, my OH's dramatic back injury which required surgery and the doctor got us an emergency MRI on a sunday, I could go on and on but my point is through all of that only once have I ever had an issue with a receptionist staff (many many moons ago in my first pregnancy) and I reported it direct and it was resolved very quickly.

I do make a real effort to ensure I am always polite and nice (as I do to anyone else) and when they have squeezed one of my sick children in I always stop on our way out and say thank you for their help.

I think they are one of the better surgeries in the area and it would be far more helpful rather than being a keyboard warrior to actually speak to the person in charge and mention your experiences so they can address it. The other alternative is to change surgeries if you feel that strongly about it I guess but it would be shame as the GP care there is very good.

I agree. I have seen a lot of people being quite rude and/or impatient there (as I'm sure is the case in GP surgeries and A&E departments everywhere - that's certainly what staff seem to be saying anyway). Frankly, the staff are not there to take abuse or rudeness from people when they are just doing their job. Being polite costs nothing and is the only way you should behave anyway.

OP - Have you spoken to the manager there? Did you (politely) put your point of view to the person who you thought was being rude? The feedback may help them with their 'service'.

It looks to me like I got them on two bad days then. As I said, I have had good reception experiences there too and I think it's wonderful that many of you feel strongly enough to come on here and write about your great experiences with staff members. That's what these forums are for. Great GP staff probably don't get nearly enough respect and recognition so I'm really glad that happened. I have no doubt it must be a hugely stressful job and it is a priceless thing they do for the health and wellbeing of the whole community. I think the GPs there are great too - for the record. Just for the record, also, I am polite and quietly spoken and would never be rude to anybody behind a reception desk. I left the surgery in tears the first time having felt really unpleasantly treated. It's only because I was so sick and weak that I worried about whether this was a dangerous thing (considering how many vulnerable people come to that desk or phoneline.) I am not a mindless keyboard warrior. If I were I would have named names and I also wouldn't have given them the benefit of the doubt after the first time. I only mentioned it because it was twice in one week that I experienced unnecessary rudeness. Also I was asking to see if it was a general thing or whether I had just been unlucky. If what happened to me had happened to many others then I would feel moved to do more about it. I conclude from this, however, that I was unlucky. I was also very sick and very sensitive so I am going to do another benefit of the doubt and leave it there.

really though, any level of rudeness from staff to 'clients' /customers /patients is unacceptable. Ok they sometimes get horrible people, but so do hoteliers, shops, pubs, other places where the public interact with staff. You wouldn't get it in any other service- hotel reception. I think its a terrible to try and justify it via a bad experience you don't know if they have actually had.

When I was living in the area, i was registered with the gardens, and always thought they were very nice. There is one particular lady, on the reception team who can be quite testy, however when you charmed her, she softened. It is one of the better Dr Surgeries, and Dr Stephens is a delight.

Anna D, thanks very much for raising this issue up.

I have been a patient for a very long time that the surgery, and I have noticed that the service that some of the reception staff provide can be very abrupt, rude and frustrating at times. The best thing to do is to write in with your concerns to the surgery, and I understand they have weekly meetings with all their staff regarding complaints against the practice. So if anyone has issues, ensure that you writing as our comments will be dealt with. I have personally written to the surgery. However, I am still waiting for a reply, this has now been about two months since of reported my concerns.

I've been a patient there for years and agree Dr Stephens is lovely, as are all the GPs and nurses. I remember a very difficult receptionist in the past, but she's long gone (mainly I think to the complaints they received). Now I find they're generally fine and there's one long-term lady in particular on reception who is really friendly and helpful and knows who I am.

I think it's one of the best surgeries and don't like that the new triage system means I'm sometimes sent to Lister in Peckham instead. But that's not the fault of the surgery, it's Cameron's '24 hour care'. Personally I'd rather lose a few of those hours if it meant that I can go to my local surgery where I know the doctors and they know me and my history. And for older patients, mothers and people who can't drive it must be even more difficult as some patients live at a considerable distance from Peckham. No wonder they end up with too many people at A&E.

I have always found the recption staff at Forest Hill Road to be very competant and helpful and give the surgery a very calm atmosphere.

If you dislike them so much - a million times? I suggest you re-register at The Gardens

I have been a patient there for about 6 years and I must say I have found the reception staff variable. Some always seem a bit off hand and 'just doing their job', one in particular seems moody- catch her on a good day and she's delightful, on a bad day downright awkward, verging on rude. I have been very upset by their attitude a handful of times that I think is a pretty bad record. Of course they would probably say my attitude is offending but I am the patient, I am the one who has problems and am in difficulty and I think they should always be friendly, helpful and understanding. As a whole I think it is a good surgery though some of the doctors and reception staff do seem rather arrogant and patronising at times.

I've been registered with my surgery my whole life. As I've become an adult and had to make appointments and communicate with myself,(parents are relieved of that duty now!)I've really come to dread going to the doctors because of them. They're always rude and treat me like I'm making their job really difficult. I'm glad I've now moved elsewhere and no longer have to deal with them.

Doctors are wonderful though! Just sort out receptionists!!

• 1 month later...

I have been with the surgery for around 15 years and have many times had similar experiences to the first post. The doctors and staff in general are great but one receptionist does seem to create a rather hostile 'us and them' atmosphere with the others from behind the glass.

In the days before the automated check-in I had been waiting an hour ( half hour waits were quite usual at the time and being 8 months pregnant i wasn't in too much of a rush). I went up to the desk to ask where i was in the queue. The receptionist realised she had not marked me present but instead of apologising she turned her back finding it hilariously funny with another receptionist.

This week i received an email response to my request for a re prescription. Even though it was not signed it was written in a manner I have become familiar with. The prescription was rejected as it was from some time ago. I replied that it would be polite and helpful to advise how I should go about reordering. I received a phone call from the receptionist saying that 'this had been passed back at her because apparently I was not happy with her email'.

There are plenty of notices around telling us how we should behave towards staff. Surely it is a receptionists job to be courteous and helpful(they are being paid for it) as much as it is for us to be polite back.

I have seen other patients receiving similar attitude and regrettably I do feel the need to write in to what is otherwise a very good surgery.