Dog fouling

S Hensman

It is a pain I agree. I am also fed up with having to dodge scattered broken glass, so dangerous for toddler feet as well as dogs paws, and don't get me started on the increasing scourge of chewing gum that is littering and disfiguring pavements, especially the area around Northcross Road. My other big beef is discarded chicken bones and cakes like chocolate brownies ( either, potentially life threatening, can land a dog in the vet with extremely expensive bills).

What can be done about all these anti social, and in many cases health threatening, littering habits?

So predictable as soon as anyone dares mention dog shit on the pavement first mate adds in the chicken bone litter argument & the danger to dogs. no litter is good - no one should drop litter. but I would rather pick up litter than other people's dog shit. This morning outside Heber Primary school there were 3 more big piles of dog mess right outside the main gates on Heber road and on Jennings Road.

rahrahrah, I have never excused it, quite the contrary. However, I also happen to find broken glass pretty obnoxious too and wonder about the mentality of someone that leaves either dog dumps or broken glass in public areas for others to walk into.

Jamesb, well it'll be interesting to see how this works and how well it works. I'm in favour of the principle of owner registration in the hope it leads to more reaponsibe dog ownership, but my hunch is that those who do not give toss and are happy to leave their dog's dumps around the neighbourhood will be hard to pin down.

"We have community wardens so if you witness a dog owner allowing their dog to foul on school entrances etc and not bothering to bag and bin it, who ya gonna call........."

I'm not so sure you'd get anywhere. I've just come back from a football match where police horses were making one helluva mess in the roads and some poor souls were having to tread in it owing to the crowds.

Who should I complain to this time ?

Overhill Road is rife with dog mess from a particularly large canine(s). Some days you have a better chance dodging cars in the road than dodging piles of poo on the pavement. As well as an annoyance surely it must be a health hazard.

Whilst a scheme like DNA testing would be welcome, I suspect those owners who do not feel responsible for clearing up after their dog probably have no interest in registering them either.

Totally agree with you LoulaRose about Overhill Road. It makes me sick having to walk down the road. I contacted Councillor Andy Shawcross about the problem last year and he was helpful about trying to do something about it (which entailed reminding street cleaners they are supposed to clean it up and spraying some dog litter notices on the pavement). But the problem seems to have got bad again. Maybe someone got a new dog for Christmas - someone who shouldn't have one because they aren't willing to take responsibility for it. The DNA registration needs to be mandatory - both for this kind of problem and so owners who abandon their dogs can be prosecuted.

I don't think anyone is excusing dog poo.

But this thread IS about dog poo, so let's not dilute it with 'other forms of litter', bothersome environmental concerns such as neighbour noise, rowdy behaviour or airplanes overhead !!

It does smart of cover-up.

Dog poo is different, it comes out of dog's bums and smells high-heaven and gets walked into your hallway - it's in a class of it's own.

Disgusting animal excrement.

And it's depressing to see it on the pavements of our streets.

There is no excuse and, to be honest, I think all dogs in cities should be DNA-recorded and then we'd soon see a massive decline in dog fouling as samples from streets are matched against the deliquent dogs. Big fines. Big difference.

That's part of the problem you don't always see them do it! Unless you sat there with a camera - we get to school at 8.40 in the mornings & the fresh piles of dog poo are already there suggesting that these particular dog owners are walking their dogs early when they know there aren't wardens or many people around.

" I think all dogs in cities should be DNA-recorded and the we'd soon see a massive decline in dog fouling as samples from streets are matched against the deliquent dogs. Big fines. Big difference."

It is always easier to target the others.

Why not the police start collecting human fingerprints and then run the database against those found on the rubbish that are left on streets ?

I took the dog in our shop for a walk last week. He curled one out in the park, I picked it up and put it in the bin. Then on the way back he did another much bigger one on the pavement outside someone's house! I had only taken the one bag with me and it was used for the first poo...

I had to phone my colleague to bring me a bag whilst I stood guard for 10 minutes. Next time I'll take two bags!!

This is a huge issue esp' on Friend Road and Dunstan's Road where schoolkids walk - and there are dog bins there as well! I've written to the council about it but there is only so much they can do.

If you are a dog owner, please you have a legal duty to clean up every time your dog poops in a public place.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35378499

^ Superb idea.

Very impressed. :)

phobic3000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I took the dog in our shop for a walk last week.

> He curled one out in the park, I picked it up and

> put it in the bin. Then on the way back he did

> another much bigger one on the pavement outside

> someone's house! I had only taken the one bag with

> me and it was used for the first poo...

>

> I had to phone my colleague to bring me a bag

> whilst I stood guard for 10 minutes. Next time

> I'll take two bags!!

phobic3000 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I took the dog in our shop for a walk last week.

> He curled one out in the park, I picked it up and

> put it in the bin. Then on the way back he did

> another much bigger one on the pavement outside

> someone's house! I had only taken the one bag with

> me and it was used for the first poo...

>

> I had to phone my colleague to bring me a bag

> whilst I stood guard for 10 minutes. Next time

> I'll take two bags!!

That sounds like your dog was "two shits to the Wyndham" road there

(Sorry couldn't resist)