No. 42 bus route extension consultation

Just received a letter from TFL about the proposed extension of the No. 42 bus route through Red Post Hill, East Dulwich Grove and Grove Vale as far as Sainsburys - currently it terminates on Sunray Avenue. It's a good addition to our local bus services. You can have your say here (consultation closes March 6th):

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/bus-route-42?cid=route-42

Very interesting as this provides a potential new commuting route into the city for lots of people in East Dulwich, but the proposed extension could be vastly improved.

TFL propose making Sainsburys the terminus for buses travelling north, after which the bus returns south, loops through North Dulwich and Red Post Hill and continues north to Liverpool St:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2qwfxwo.png

It would be better for East Dulwich if the bus went north from Sainsbury's, completing the loop. Then any residents between East Dulwich Grove and Dog Kennel Hill could catch no. 42 travelling north into the city.

If you would like to express interest in this altered route, either e-mail TFL at [email protected] or fill in the online survey at tfl.gov.uk/route-42.

Deadline for submitting views is 6 March 2016.

Thanks for this - I have responded via the online survey. I am in favour and also thought that this had already been agreed some time ago, however I cannot see how a double decker will be able to use Red Post Hill, even if the traffic islands are removed - it is very narrow with cars parked on both sides and I can imagine tail backs and hold ups if there are double deckers having to pass from opposite directions, or indeed a double decker and the P4 or large truck.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Is a double decker wider than the current single

> decker 42s? Sunray Avenue has similar parking

> issues.

Yes but currently only the 42 goes down (and not up) Sunray Avenue, whereas Red Post Hill already has the P4 going both ways and the 42 going up.

Blackcurrant Wrote:

>

> It would be better for East Dulwich if the bus

> went north from Sainsbury's, completing the loop.

> Then any residents between East Dulwich Grove and

> Dog Kennel Hill could catch no. 42 travelling

> north into the city.

>

No, please, no. There are already lots of buses going North up DKH- like the 176, 185, 484 and 40 to name just four.

The great thing about the proposed route it gives real options to residents within reach of East Dulwich Grove so that they can have realistic commuting options. There is ony the 37 going along EDG and that basically goes West not North

Plus, for people needing to visit either Dulwich Hospital or King's Coll. Hosp. it will be a real plus.

Looks a good idea and especially for the elderly living on the Sunray Estate wanting to get to Sainsburys.

Like sanity girl I can see traffic tailbacks and chaos on Red Post Hill though if the route from Sunray Avenue is taken away. Can't imagine two double deckers trying to pass each other on the hill.

Duvaller Wrote:

> minder Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> Can't imagine two double deckers trying to pass each other on the hill.

>

> All the buses are the same width ie 2.54m , 8'6".

I regularly follow P4 and (single decker) 42 up Red Post Hill and it is a tight squeeze for them around the traffic islands.

Apart from the width does a double decker have the same length and turning circle as current single deckers on the route? If not then changes may well be needed.

slarti b Wrote:

> Duvaller Wrote:

> -----

> > minder Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > Can't imagine two double deckers trying to

> pass each other on the hill.

> >

> > All the buses are the same width ie 2.54m ,

> 8'6".

>

> I regularly follow P4 and (single decker) 42 up

> Red Post Hill and it is a tight squeeze for them

> around the traffic islands.

> Apart from the width does a double decker have the

> same length and turning circle as current single

> deckers on the route? If not then changes may

> well be needed.

Agreed, the traffic islands are detrimental to flow because the parking spaces are too close to them. A bit of adjustment would solve the problem.

Just to clarify, the consultation addresses the issue of traffic islands:

"In order to facilitate the extension along Red Post Hill, we would need to make alterations to the traffic islands to enable buses to use the road. We would also need to extend the double yellow lines at the bottom Red Post Hill junction with Sunray Avenue, to enable buses to easily continue serving along Red Post Hill.

The length of the disabled parking bay on Red Post Hill junction with Denmark Hill will need to be reduced. However, this reduction in length will still allow one vehicle to park in this bay."

Since the Southwark lunatics installed those daft chicanes at enormous cost in Red Post Hill, there are already huge problems with congestion with vehicles trying to squeeze through dangerously small gaps. Double deckers would be a complete non starter methinks.