Neighbourhood Warden

con24

Has anyone else had a knock at the door from a 'neighbourhood warden', today he came and told me that the latches on my windows were up and wanted to check someone was in. Understandable, but i've never heard or seen of them before?

Or was this an opportunist seeing if anyone was in before making there way through the windows?

Thanks.

Id say its odd you wouldnt have been made aware of a neighbourhood warden.

More generally, I appreciate its too late for you in this instance, but if anyone knocks on your door and you are unsure abot them - especially if they introduce themselves as a local charity collector, neighbour in need (or neighbourhood warden!) then firing a few clarifying questions at them usually will give you a much clearer idea of if they are dodgy or not (ie they will quickly clear off/scarper under even mild questioning!!)

In this instance Id have asked him his name and address/ who set up the warden scheme etc

Call the police (non emergency number) to check whether such a scheme is operating in your area - if it's not then a heads-up should alert the police to possibly worrying activity.

If it is in any way an 'official' position then the individual should be carrying ID.

I have contacted the non-emergency police number who sent officers over to take a statement.

The man who knocked on the door did have a hi-vis vest on, but other that that seemed regularly dress, and was driven away by another man after I closed the door (he seemed a little surprised that I actually answered the door in the first place).

Thanks all for quick responses and advice.

That sounds very suspicious. A community warden (as they are properly called) would be on foot. They always work in pairs and as someone has pointed out wear a special red uniform with 'community warden' clearly written on it. But logic would say that only a Safer Neighbourhood Police team would do something like this, as part of an anti-burglary campaign perhaps.

yes and they carry a walky talky radio to contact police aswell no car go on foot and would have a badge with registration number like police do.

so from picture someone shown do you recognise guy who knocked at door?

if not well that is i believe photo whole team glad you phoned 101

its very helpful

I had someone take photos of my car when I was about to drive off. When confronted they claimed to be plain clothed police. They said the reason they took pictures was due to reports of criminal damage taking place on oakhurst Grove. I didnt believe any of it. It was either police harassment or criminals. I made a report to the police and I have pictures.