Comparing broadband experience for East Dulwich

gaylad

After a couple of years with TalkTalk, my experience gradually went from terrible, to okay when I paid the extra ?10/month for fibre. On ordinary broadband it would regularly drop out on Sundays and holidays due to everyone else wanting heavy use on those days. I have just signed up with Plusnet after realising how costly my monthly bills had become for TV services I never use, and after a call, TalkTalk not doing much to give me a better deal. Basically it seems worth swapping supplier every 18 months to get their new customer offers, in this case I get free broadband for the first 6 months.

Anyone have experiences of the difference between suppliers in the East Dulwich area? We seem to have all upgraded BT exchanges, so in theory it should be possible for everyone to have top notch broadband speeds.

P.S. I can see the thread about Virgin Media, but as far as I know there are similar experiences with the other top suppliers, so it's the comparison I'm hoping to read about.

We have Had BT Infinity for the last 10 months and it's been excellent. Never gone off. Never been throttled afaict. Also, I did a reccy at the time and it had the best of the routers available with the package. Worth bearing in mind if you're not going to go out and get your own router etc.

Before that we had Sky. That too was excellent and the only reason I switched was that I wanted to upgrade to fibre and BT had an offer on. The offer will expire in 2 months when they'll either offer me another deal, or I'll happily switch back to Sky to keep the costs down.

We had TalkTalk for many years, as well as its many predecessors, and the service gradually got worse, and much more unreliable. Much as I hate to have to admit it, since we moved to Virgin the service is much faster and generally extremely reliable. However, my past experience with Virgin's telephone customer services department was so incredibly bad that I hate having any services with Virgin. They are the most callous and uncaring company on the planet.

We were with BE for years and they were always fantastic - Demon level of customer service. They got bought out by Sky so we stuck with them - usually get 8meg down, 1meg up unlimited, for "free" and just pay for monthly line rental and if you haggle they'll take off their surcharge for not having their trash tv package. They don't seem to throttle and unlimited use is pretty good for the price. Haven't bothered with fibre as it's not direct to the house with them and the UK speeds for it are pretty bad in comparison to my experience of it in SE Asia. Sky customer service is pretty good too, but I don't particularly enjoy paying money to such a disgusting company.