Watsons General Telegraph and Inside 72

TonyQuinn

Not sure about the name but Watsons General Telegraph on Forest Hill Road is the much bigger resurrection of Inside Seventy Two from back in the day. For those who don't, back in 2004 or so, Inside 72 was the place to be. Catching the cusp of the transition of the neighbourhood and before the smoking ban. It was super cool. This place, successor to the Rose, reminded me of that vibe. Quality vinyl being played. Good range of beers too.

winnie80 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Went there today for lunch. Good food, cracking

> beer selection, decent music, nice staff. Look

> forwarding to trying it again without our 2 year

> old in tow!

I also went there yesterday, not long after I posted. I would agree with you about the beer choice and the staff seemed nice. I have to say I was disappointed by the food. It took ages to arrive and was cold when it did. If I hadn't been so hungry I would have returned it. I ordered the fish (cod) and chips which should be easy to get right but still a good benchmark. Instead of one nice large cod fillet it was 2 rather sorry small pieces. It was too much batter and not enough fish. Mrs Willard ordered the polenta gnocchi which she said was good. Perhaps mine was sat around waiting for her's to be finished.

As for the "decent music"....if you think the Best of the Beatles on loop is decent then fair enough. Personally the strains of "Obladee - Obladaa" and "Octopus's Garden" blasting out far too loud (so everyone has to shout across their tables to hear each other) contributed to the indigestion of my average food.

If this sounds a tad harsh, then it is because I was expecting better and also because I think there is a lot of potential there. The opening weekend of any new pub, restaurant is never easy and I will certainly give them another go in a few weeks. If they get it right then it will be a good addition to the local pub scene.

Popped in on the way back from work, seems nice and relaxed atmosphere. Large selection on tap from local micro brewery's.

Had a chance to see the garden, and its one of the nicest ive seen. Large area covered with a fancy roof and wood fires, i wanted to move in! lol.

rahrahrah Wrote:

> I liked Inside 72, but I think it's 'legend' has

> become somewhat exaggerated over the years.

> Probably time to stop using it as a point of

> comparison. Anyway WGT looks good, and nice to

> have somewhere with a decent beer garden.

This

Went yesterday for a quick pop in. Much improved on The Rose and was actually very busy (where did they all come from?). Garden could be amazing when it's a bit warmer. Staff really friendly and vinyl a nice touch.

Have to say though that ?8something for 1 and a half pints of ale and a pineapple juice seems OTT. I can't see how ?5 for a small glass of wine is reasonable. Hmmm, we'll see.

I like it. My fear was initially that it's a little bit too much style over substance but it's a massive improvement on the Rose. I do miss the old ceiling though.

I feel it may be a bit unfair, but there was something that put me off a little.

- The wood burners churn out a lot of smoke, but there's nowhere for it to go. I was in the garden, not under the covered bit, for about five minutes and I absolutely reeked of wood smoke. Hair, skin, clothes, everything. I don't know what the solution is but there must be a way to pipe it out. Didn't shower before sleeping and my sheets and pillow stank of smoke by morning too. Luckily it's not too unpleasant a smell, but it is strong.

Otta Wrote:

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I liked Inside 72, but I think it's 'legend'

> has

> > become somewhat exaggerated over the years.

> > Probably time to stop using it as a point of

> > comparison. Anyway WGT looks good, and nice to

> > have somewhere with a decent beer garden.

>

>

>

> This

*Bob* summed it up brilliantly a while ago with his comment along the lines of that Inside72 was a bit like the Sex Pistols seminal first Manchester gig in 1976 - every musician of a certain age in the NW claims to have been at it whereas the Sex Pistols say about 7 people were there :)

> - The wood burners churn out a lot of smoke, but

> there's nowhere for it to go. I was in the garden,

> not under the covered bit, for about five minutes

> and I absolutely reeked of wood smoke. Hair, skin,

> clothes, everything. I don't know what the

> solution is but there must be a way to pipe it

> out. Didn't shower before sleeping and my sheets

> and pillow stank of smoke by morning too. Luckily

> it's not too unpleasant a smell, but it is strong.

I had the same issue Friday morning. I was there Thursday night and my clothes, bedding and hair stank. Coat is still a bit stinky!

I use to live across the road from the FHT and the Rose (now WGT)and use to enjoy diving in there for a cheeky pint or two on the way home. My favourite memory was getting them to put the Ryder cup on one Sunday night when the Europeans managed to turn it around and beat USA.

The writing was on the wall when Sky was taken away, the food slowly disappeared and then there was the occasional missed beer delivery (one occasion was the Monday after NFL final - chap went out and got sloshed night before). We have now moved away and I was there Thurs to say cheerio to friends (using opening night to hold the occasion). I was sad to see the steep prices, as mentioned previously the Herne is cheaper and for additional 5 mins walk, I would head there (also shows sport). The London Beer Dispensary serves the same beer and it is cheaper as well. The one in one out/queue was bit Clapham-esk - maybe a marketing ploy to show how busy it was to people driving by but when I got in there, it was fine (I have seen people mentioned H&S but my opinion).

It was good to see a good turnout Thurs and hope these people/'locals' continue to support it. We don?t need any more bars disappearing and being turned into a Co-Op or flats. I wish it all the best.

???? Wrote:

> *Bob* summed it up brilliantly a while ago with

> his comment along the lines of that Inside72 was a

> bit like the Sex Pistols seminal first Manchester

> gig in 1976 - every musician of a certain age in

> the NW claims to have been at it whereas the Sex

> Pistols say about 7 people were there :)

And one of them was Mick Hucknall. The Pistols have a lot to answer for...