Slowest time of year for house buying in ED?

EAB1980

Husband and I have been renting in ED with our two boys and now are looking to buy. Wondering if this is the slowest time of year for houses to come to market? We aren't sure if what's on market now is as good as it will get in terms of choice or we should just be patient for spring when (theoretically) more families will be looking to sell and complete during school Summer holiday?

I think it's hard to tell. Traditionally the time before Christmas is slow because people don't want to move over Christmas, however people sell for all sorts of different reasons and have different drivers. I think London is such a mad market often normal housing market wisdom does not apply.

We bought in Forest Hill this time last year and when we were looking in October/November 2014 prices were reducing all over the place from the peak of price madness in early January 2014. Conventional wisdom also says that political uncertainty also drives housing market behaviour and a big driver at the first time buyer end of the market is the coming changes for buy to let investors - tax changes and increases in stamp duty for people buying additional properties. Ultimately you cannot second guess the market so you have to find a budget you are comfortable with, don't be panicked into exceeding it, be prepared to be flexible and accept that despite your preferred time line there are a lot of things in the house buying process you have no control over.