London Overground - Highbury & Islington to Peckham Rye

Coming back last night from Highbury & Islington I was told I would need to change at Dalston Junction to pick up connection to Peckham Rye. Guy told me this has been the case for the past 2 months but I definitely got a train direct from Peckham Rye to Highbury & Islington last Saturday. Does anyone know what is happening and is this just a temporary alteration?

Just so that everyone is aware, there will be part service on the line as follows (from tfl email):

From Saturday 13 until Sunday 21 February, there will be part closures on London Overground for nine consecutive days. This is while Crossrail carry out modernisation work to build an interchange and prepare for the future extension of London Overground platforms at Whitechapel.

Service changes

During this time, there will be no service between:

? Highbury & Islington and Shadwell

? Surrey Quays and New Cross

Travel information

Highbury & Islington, Canada Water and Shadwell stations may be busier than usual, especially during peak hours, while customers take alternative routes. Rail replacement bus services will operate.

Please plan ahead and allow more time for your journey. For full details and to know your travel options, visit tfl.gov.uk/east-london-line-closure

I usually change at Whitechapel to go onto Liverpool Street or Moorgate. Will be catching the Thameslink Farringdon service (wish me luck!) and getting on the tube from there.... fortunately wont cost me anymore due to the type of ticket I have.

I think there is confusion as to what constitutes South London..

People tend to use The Thames as a north / south devide.. This is not a very accurate way of looking at things.

Take the Central Line as a guide and a more accurate picture emerges with a lot of 'South' London above the Thames.

Here in East Dulwich geographicically we are on the extremities of London which was once indeed part of Surrey..

I think we are well served with transport links...

Buses. 12 , 176 to the West End.. 40 to the London Bridge / City .. 185 to Victoria.. 63 to the City / Kings Cross

Conections to Forest Hill Croydon onward to Gatwick.. Brighton..

Trains. To London Bridge.. Blackfriars and onward.. Victoria. To Bromley South and the coast..

Cannot see the problem.. I worked in The City / Borough for 40 years and used public transport for most of that time.

Yes there were times when it was bad.. like 70s 80s. But it has never been better than it is now.

DulwichFox.

service seems more reliable since the changes so I am guessing that is why they made the change. It's a bottle neck into H&I when the service falls down. There are more platforms at DJ to play with. personally I am just happy to have the later trains from Victoria at 9/39 past the hour. It's made my journey much easier.

Tried calling London Overground and got no reply so emailed them - response as follows

"Thank you for contacting London Overground.

We have received your recent correspondence and aim to send you a personalised reply within 7 working days. If we are unable to answer your query within this time, we will keep you updated about the progress of your case until you receive a full response.

Unfortunately we currently have a large volume of cases to work through and our response will take longer than usual. If your contact is urgent, you may prefer to give us a call on 0343 222 1234, choose option 5 from the menu and then ask to speak to the London Overground team. We are open Monday to Friday 0900 - 1700 (except Bank Holidays). Please mention to the team that you have already written to us.

Please note that we are currently working on correspondence received prior to 7 January 2016."

So will report back when I get a reply in about a month's time!

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Look at the boris bike map - a massive hole in

> provision over SE London.

> Look at the cycle superhighways - a massive hole

> in provision over SE London

> Look at the tube map - a massive hole in provision

> over SE London

>

> It's really not good enough

But I'd suggested that things have improved. 'Good enough' is a difficult one to pin down - particularly if you moved here knowing full well the existing provision.

As for Boris bikes, they're not really a practcal commuting option from here for getting into the West End, City or Canary Wharf.

And as for cycle superhighways, I suspect that any mass use of bikes will happen not simply on cycle superhighways but on all roads. I wonder if a concentration on superhighways is similar to the misguided postwar designs for car use to build motorways and dual carriageways through and into city centres.

Peckhampoet Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> service seems more reliable since the changes so I

> am guessing that is why they made the change. It's

> a bottle neck into H&I when the service falls

> down. There are more platforms at DJ to play with.

> personally I am just happy to have the later

> trains from Victoria at 9/39 past the hour. It's

> made my journey much easier.

I believe the reason for sending the old H&I trains to West Croydon on Mon-Sat is so they can have a 7 min service between NXG and Sydenham and if H&I goes tits up, it won't affect Dalston Junction trains to Clapham Junction and New Cross.

Before the London Bridge work started I think the service from ED was OK - and hopefully it will be once again when the work is complete. Trains every ten minutes to LB is a good frequency (on par with some tube lines).

Think the people who suffer most are those who don't live near a station (or have mobility issues) and have to rely on the bus.