Flat burgled on or around 29 January

GillianHG

Our flat on Lordship Lane (near Melbourne Grove) was burgled on or around 29 January while we were on holiday. Our cat sitter had been in on the 28th then discovered that the back door had been kicked in when she was back on the morning of the 30th. There must have been a huge loud noise, as half the door was locked through, so if anyone heard anything like that, please let me know. I know the neighbours have been canvassed by the police, and they haven't found anyone who heard or saw anything, but thought I'd try here too. Some jewellery and other sentimental items were taken, but most importantly, my viola was taken which I am absolutely devastated about. If anyone spots it in a local charity shop please let me know asap. Info attached. Thank you!

Sorry to hear about your loss. A back door being loudly kicked in does not sound like a professional burglary, so it is quite likely that your viola was not targeted by a thief with fencing contacts for quality musical instruments. They are probably hoping to offload it for a fraction of its value. You will doubtless know the fairly small list of people who trade legitimately in quality violas in S London (I won't list any here as it might help the thief) and I suggest that you contact them individually to warn them of being approached by someone with little or no knowledge of the viola they are attempting to sell. Also keep an eye on the usual suspects (Gumtree, Ebay) as fairly few violas will be listed there and yours will stick out.

I am really sorry to hear about this Gillian. I got burgled in December and had two ukuleles taken. Neither was very valuable, but one was a present from a friend and so I was very sad about that. Oddly enough they picked up a guitar and then left it behind, perhaps when they noticed the ukuleles.

I wonder if mine were the same thieves who have a penchant for string instruments. The other things they took included an antique laptop, a cheap radio, a couple of very old Nokia mobiles and strangest of all, my razor and manicure set.

I do hope you find your viola, anyway.

East of Dulwich Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I wonder if mine were the same thieves who have a

> penchant for string instruments. The other things

> they took included an antique laptop, a cheap

> radio, a couple of very old Nokia mobiles and

> strangest of all, my razor and manicure set.

>

> I do hope you find your viola, anyway.

Agh, I just had to join this forum to tell of my similar burglary story! Me and my flatmates got burgaled a few weeks ago in West Dulwich. Came in through the back... but also took similar useless things. An ancient epilator, a smashed up ancient laptop, boxes of stationary, and some musical stuff from another housemate. It was bizarre... :(