Not technically ED, but in the cinema in Peckham tonight...

SCSB79

I won't mention what film as I am sure the intellects on here will tell me I got what I deserved... me and Mrs SCSB sat down with our large pop corn and pepsi... film starts... 2 female yoof in front of us don't stop talking... ignore it thinks I... half an hour in... out comes the mobile and she makes a call (one of da yoof, not Mrs SCSB)!!!! I tap on the chair next to her and ask her to be quiet... I get a kiss of the teeth, called a honkey, and laughed at.

You gotta love the youth of today.

Do you know the worst thing about it, they left early, and I really thought they may have gone outside to round up some male yoof to take care of me.

I took my nephew there to see the Mummy 3, sticky floors, dirty chairs, volume too high, and rank toilets....went to Mcdonalds after...only because the nephew refused to have KFC, staff there didn;t understand anything we said, or anything anyone said for that matter so we were queuing up forever whilst we and everyone explained for the 10th time our order.

Peckham sucks.

But all the other cinemas are so far.

They do have attitude in Peckham, Kissing the teeth, walking slow like a tourist and shoving pass people is the norm in peckham...as is pushing meat in dirty trolleys across dirty polluted roads to dirty butchers in peckham...yuk...I used to like Peckham as a kid...BHS, Marks and Spencers....Sigh.

Oh Lord here we go again with the Great Peckham Debate.

I rather like the Multiplex - its cheap, cheery and local.

And I absolutely love it when the entire audience decide to "cuss" the on-screen characters - as seems to happen in very cheesy rom-coms. There's an applaudable suspension of disbelief and willingness to emotionaly invest (even when the film features Russell Brand acting in a skimpy little sarong).

But yes, talking would annoy me terribly too.

There is none near...I think Elephant and Castle plus Brixton might have a cinema but not sure as never been.

I am not having a Peckham/Dulwich debate, and I go Peckham often, used to work in Jobcentreplus there ( don't get me started!) but the people there do annoy me, it is the attitude I just cannot abide, saying that everyone in London has an attitude and as I have one of my own, I don't need anyone elses!:))

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh Lord here we go again with the Great Peckham

> Debate.

>

> I rather like the Multiplex - its cheap, cheery

> and local.

>

> And I absolutely love it when the entire audience

> decide to "cuss" the on-screen characters - as

> seems to happen in very cheesy rom-coms. There's

> an applaudable suspension of disbelief and

> willingness to emotionaly invest (even when the

> film features Russell Brand acting in a skimpy

> little sarong).

>

> But yes, talking would annoy me terribly too.

Excuse me.. where did I slag off Peckham?? All I ever commented on was the lovely youth that we have in our neighbourhood. Get off your high horse.

HeidiHi Wrote:

> Peckham sucks.

> >

> They do have attitude in Peckham, Kissing the

> teeth, walking slow like a tourist and shoving

> pass people is the norm in peckham...as is pushing

> meat in dirty trolleys across dirty polluted roads

> to dirty butchers in peckham...yuk...I used to

> like Peckham as a kid...BHS, Marks and

> Spencers....Sigh.

SCBS79 - I was responding to the above paragraph, not to your original post, so no offence meant. And my last line did indicate sympathy to your original post. But please let's not go down the Peckham Debate route.

As for cinemas -- you could always try Curzon Soho - it might not seem local but is a mere bus ride away from East Dulwich. Or Greenwich Picturehouse is worth a car journey.

And re-reading my post I don't think I was on my high horse at all... a comical donkey perhaps, but little more.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> HeidiHi Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Peckham sucks.

> > >

> > They do have attitude in Peckham, Kissing the

> > teeth, walking slow like a tourist and shoving

> > pass people is the norm in peckham...as is

> pushing

> > meat in dirty trolleys across dirty polluted

> roads

> > to dirty butchers in peckham...yuk...I used to

> > like Peckham as a kid...BHS, Marks and

> > Spencers....Sigh.

>

> SCBS79 - I was responding to the above paragraph,

> not to your original post, so no offence meant.

> And my last line did indicate sympathy to your

> original post. But please let's not go down the

> Peckham Debate route.

>

> As for cinemas -- you could always try Curzon Soho

> - it might not seem local but is a mere bus ride

> away from East Dulwich. Or Greenwich Picturehouse

> is worth a car journey.

>

> And re-reading my post I don't think I was on my

> high horse at all... a comical donkey perhaps, but

> little more.

Fair point, but there is a quote facility to stop confusion Miss Donkey.

Al&Em Wrote:

> What's this teeth kissing thing then? Pls

> elaborate..?

its when someone sort of sucks air in between their front teeth - normally if something's been done or said that they don't like instead of saying out loud what was bothering them, personally, I find it the most annoying thing someone can do - would rather they said out loud what was bothering them/causing upset so that the issue could be dealt with.

Cinema 1 at the Ritzy is hopelessly designed and the screen itself is too small but it's the best of a generally poor selection of indie cinemas in South London with Greenwich picturehouse a close second. The best in terms of programme and overall experience is the BFI on the South Bank. Not only does it show a great selection of films but the social aspects are really well conceived and integrated. It'd be interesting to know if City Screen (who run the Ritzy, Greenwich and Curzon Soho) saw a potential market and venue opportunity in ED given the demographics and the gap in provision.

For what it's worth, City Screen do run the Picturehouses, but the Curzon Soho (and the other London Curzon cinemas) are run by another company - Curzon Artificial Eye.

Agree that there's a decent market for an arthouse/independent cinema somewhere within easy reach of SE22/SE23. Shame that Wetherspoons have no intention of letting go of the Capitol building anytime soon - it would have been perfect.

I like the Peckham cinema - however it's cheap and cheerful so you cannot expect art house attitudes from everyone there. Incidentally the worse cinema I've been to for people talking and leaving their mobiles on has been in the Ritzy in Brixton - maybe they thought it was a sub-titled film that it was OK.

I've had a couple of complaints in the past at Peckham - loo's not great and once the film didn't actually start, but when approached nicely the staff have been really helpful (although forgetting to actually start the film wasn't that great!)

Cassius Wrote:

I've had a couple of complaints in the past at

> Peckham - loo's not great and once the film didn't

> actually start, but when approached nicely the

> staff have been really helpful (although

> forgetting to actually start the film wasn't that

> great!)

Unless it was Godfather III, in which case they were exercising a little humanity.

A Cinema in ED.

That would be a very satisfactory full circle, used to go to the Saturday Mornings shows at the one in Grove Vale opposite the petrol station. (flats now on the old car park.)

That closed down due to under use & became the Palace of Peace!

Is it possible that one maybe a bit closer to D/V to draw on both sets of inhabitants would be viable?

• 2 weeks later...