Scooter/motorbike owners: watch out tonight

rabbitears

On Saturday 2 males on a moped pulled up outside the flower shop in the village. One jumped off the bike and started to pump the ignition on a parked moped.

The owner run out from the shop and was wrestling with him but the one still on the bike shouted ''stab him'' and of course the owner of the moped backed away. the scum bag managed to get the bike started and they both sped off.

There is a group of street batty from Dawson's heights who run around trying to steal peoples bikes etc, one in high viz, they are dangerous and care should be taken they tried to steal a bike from our street when the guy came out he was hit on the head with bolt cutters and while he sat dazed they carried on in broad daylight like nothing had happened, even when neighbours came out they still tried to steal the blke with one doing donuts to protect his mates. The police arrived after they had left because they came from Peckham, Dulwich not having Police because it is obviously one of the safest boroughs in London.

• 1 month later...

Motorbike thieves out this morning again, trying for the 2nd time in as many months to steal my bike.

Two youths in dark waterproofs on a big commuter-type scooter, stolen reg: R5 NWF.

That's another ?500 replacement ignition barrel and lock-set to find...

Could a biker advise, as I'm new to having one: is a padlocked chain (proper one intended for motorcycles) through the back wheel and a fence enough?

My bike is a relatively cheap and boring 125cc so hopefully not very attractive to thieves, but having said that I really don't want it nicked!

I would advise getting a VERY good motorcycle chain and lock (google Squire, go for the heaviest chain) - expensive upfront but very secure and lasts forever.

The fence needs to be at least as strong as the chain and lock, otherwise install a ground anchor.

Also - it's a bit of a hassle each evening/morning, but get a good cover for the bike. Seems to be when its under a cover, its out of sight out of mind for thieves.

Bike was attached to ground anchor, with decent chain (but not usual heavy chain, which is in the west end attached to an anchor there after similar attempted theft. A cover does work, but these scum know what they're doing.

It is very difficult to prevent theft of a bike. It really is. If you can afford the current rent of just under ?19 a WEEK for a rented Southwark Council garage, your insurance will go down for sure. Southwark garages are there to be rented around the Council area. But I am so sorry to read these stories. Data tag and the best locks you can afford, attached to railings and so on is otherwise as good as it gets and they'll still cut through bolts.

A solid disc lock is an absolute must to complement the chain, as I know to my cost (when riding off in a hurry forgetting to remove it) you can't get a bike a yard before it sends you base over apex. Doesn't work against pros who lift bikes onto vans (which is how I lost my Aprilia race bike...) but for a quick wire the ignition and ride away opportunist it's a significant deterrent. Also there are now movement sensors available which can send an alarm to your mobile if someone's tampering with your bike, not much use when on holiday but handy if you're indoors and asleep when someone's having a go at it outside.

Good luck!

rendelharris Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A solid disc lock is an absolute must to

> complement the chain, as I know to my cost (when

> riding off in a hurry forgetting to remove it) you

> can't get a bike a yard before it sends you base

> over apex. Doesn't work against pros who lift

> bikes onto vans (which is how I lost my Aprilia

> race bike...) but for a quick wire the ignition

> and ride away opportunist it's a significant

> deterrent. Also there are now movement sensors

> available which can send an alarm to your mobile

> if someone's tampering with your bike, not much

> use when on holiday but handy if you're indoors

> and asleep when someone's having a go at it

> outside.

>

> Good luck!

A friend mentioned this company http://www.tisogps.com who sell movement sensors that text you and are built into a PAYG tracker which can be hidden on a bike. Won't stop it getting stolen but may aide it's recovery. On of many companies selling similar products I have to add.

They are currently nearly ?19 a week but to be fair to Southwark Council they have a very useful website section which shows you where there are vacant garages, so don't understand why there is a waiting list. On Rye Hill Estate there are several available. Here is the link. You do not have to be a tenant of any estate upon which there are garages and now you do not even need a car! We think some are rented by private businesses which is a bit naughty but what do Southwark care if they get regular money. http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200440/garages/2053/map_of_southwark_garages

thanks for that. very useful.

no idea either why I have always been put on a waiting list but I have applied before and been told I would be notified if one becomes available.

Just a note: the ?19/week applies to council residents.

Anyone else pays ?27/week.

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> They are currently nearly ?19 a week but to be

> fair to Southwark Council they have a very useful

> website section which shows you where there are

> vacant garages, so don't understand why there is a

> waiting list. On Rye Hill Estate there are

> several available. Here is the link. You do not

> have to be a tenant of any estate upon which there

> are garages and now you do not even need a car!

> We think some are rented by private businesses

> which is a bit naughty but what do Southwark care

> if they get regular money.

> http://www.southwark.gov.uk/info/200440/garages/20

> 53/map_of_southwark_garages

Sure, a cover won't definitely prevent theft, but out of sight, with a quality chain and lock, will minimise chances of theft. Someone even stole my cover once!

But, if someone wants ithe bike, they'll take it. Best you can do is make it as hard as possible.

Thanks for the security tips. For parking in a road space whilst at work, I've put a chain on one wheel and now added an alarm onto the other.

One cracked fairing, chipped headlight, snapped L-plate, scraped exhaust and half litre of oil later ... I've also now learned not to park side-on to the wind!!

• 4 weeks later...